Thread: New Hewescraft Self Bailing 26'

Default New Hewescraft Self Bailing 26'

Hewes just delivered thier first 26' Self bailing cockpit !
    Rear door in the transom.
    Sounds like a great addition to their already awesome lineup.
    Don't know if the have even named it yet.
    I heard "Pacific Commander" was one of the choices.
    I think you can see it on Tom N Jerrys Boats website down in Washington.

Default pretty slick

Pretty slick set up with the self bailing deck, transom door and 8 foot bottom. The only thing that stinks it's only on the 26 pc standard cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by ken210 View Post
    Pretty slick set up with the self bailing deck, transom door and 8 foot bottom. The only thing that stinks it's only on the 26 pc standard cabin.
    With an 8 foot bottom does that mean the the new hull will have a 9.5 foot beam?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default good ?

Spoiled one,
    When I talked to the rep he said the beam stayed the same they just made the sides taller. But that is a good question.

Spoiled one,
    When I talked to the rep he said the beam stayed the same they just made the sides taller. But that is a good question.
    Taller and more vertical. Could make for an interesting look. It should give more room on the interior and the cockpit, though, right?

From the pictures i've seen it seems have a little more room. The fishing deck is fairly big but thats because it's the standard cabin 26 pc.

From the pictures i've seen it seems have a little more room. The fishing deck is fairly big but thats because it's the standard cabin 26 pc.
    That is what I gathered when looking at the photos on the hewescraft owner's forum. I read on one of the threads that you could order it with any of the boats, but it would add a lot of wait time to the build time. This was from Dave Hewes. Here is a link : http://hewescraft.30.forumer.com/ind...?showtopic=621

Looks like the price of it is a few thousand more than the the standard Pacific Cruiser.

Looks like the price of it is a few thousand more than the the standard Pacific Cruiser.

One would hope metal boat prices would be dropping since aluminum is now at almost a five year low:
    http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/al...istorical.html
    Tennessee

I agree with the price of aluminum dropping you would expect the price of boats to come down a bit as well. Especially with the condition of our economy.

As far as the boat goes, I am glad to hear they will finally be offering a self bailing deck. Look forward to finding out more about this.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

It looks real interesting, but I checked all the pictures posted and I don't see any scuppers. Trying to wash 200 gallons of water through small slots in the floor I imagine would take some time . . .

Default scuppers

You know - we're never happy !
    People complain because they don't have a self bailing deck-they make one and now the scuppers aren't big enough ! Yes- there are scuppers in the stern.
    Where would you plan to get 200 gallons of water dumped in your boat-driving under a waterfall ? ! If you are in water that bad-you deserve what you get !
    Common sense has to come into play at some point !

Scuppers are a big deal. I am planning on adding extra large scuppers to my boat. There are several scenarios where one can take a wave/water over the side or over the stern. Every little bit to stay afloat longer is worth it.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I'm thinking that if you stuffed yourself into a wave badly enough to need gigantic deck scuppers on a boat like a hewes (with a full cabin up front), you have bigger problems than draining the deck, as you've likely broached or pitch-poled. The cabin will divert more minor green-water events off to each side.

On an open boat or one with a walkaround console, then you need some redundant scuppage.

If you take a wave over the back of a full transom boat and fill the deck a foot or two deep, you did something terribly wrong to begin with, and you are now in big trouble, regardless of scupper capacity. Multiple scuppers aren't going to drain that quantity of water fast enough.

A full-perimeter gutter and two good scuppers should be all that's needed.

And, it's about time they made it self-bail. That's a hell of a place to save money on a fishing boat (smelly bilge!). This from a Hewes 26' owner...