Thread: Raising The Preformance Level Of The 30-06

Default Raising The Preformance Level Of The 30-06

What can one say about the 30-06 other than it is truly a versatile cartridge with a lot of potential left to discover when you consider the new technologies of today with powders, better brass, very good primers and of course premium bullets.

As many of you on this forum know I have done some testing this last spring with accuracy and velocity potential of the 30-06 and had some good success with above average results.

I have been working with the 30-06 in seven different rifles of my own and a number of other 06's belonging to friends over the last 28yrs and two of mine were customs and four were factory rifles. With my seven rifles (not counting other rifles) I have fired (according to what records I kept over the years) 4,328 hand-loaded rounds through 30-06 rifles. Don't recall nor will I guess on the number of factory rounds I have shot. There were more hand-loaded rounds fired but when I first started I did not keep consistent and in some cases usable records.

I have used the following bullets in my test at the range and on game and they are as follows:

Sierra Game Kings 125gr, 150gr, 165gr, 180gr, 200gr, 220gr

Nosler Partition 150gr, 165gr, 180gr

Nosler Ballistic tip 150gr, 165gr, 180gr

Nosler Accubond 150gr, 165gr, 180gr

Speer 130gr Hp

Speer Hot Core 150gr, 165gr, 180gr, 200gr

Speer Bear Claw 165gr

Barnes Original 250gr

Barnes X 165gr

Barnes TSX 165gr, 168gr, 180gr

Hornady interlock 165gr,

Remington Cor-lock 165gr, 180gr

Woodleigh Protected Point 180gr, 240gr

I say all of the above so as to discuss a bullet I have started to work with which if accurate will in my limited experience with the 30-06 compared to others in the shooting world, be a bullet that will elevate the performance level of the 30-06 on game of all size. It should not only by it's design make it possible for the 30-06 to function consistently on big game (even dangerous game) but also give the hunter a higher level of confidence in the field.

Over the next two years I will be testing at the range for accuracy, also in different media and in the field on game. The bullet I am testing is the North Fork Technologies 165gr, 180gr and 200gr. The rifle will be my Mark V Custom with a 24" barrel.

These are expensive bullets (1.60 a peace after shipping) but I really like their idea in design and will see just how they do. If they meet my perceived expectations they will surely increase the level of performance of my 30-06 on big and dangerous game.

I will begin with the 165gr not only at the range but in the field this year on dear and hogs and will use the 180gr and 200gr on game in the field on trips starting next fall.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Wow…………. Now that’s a heap o 06 shooting!

I have a few rifles chambered in 30-06 myself and have also done a fair piece of reloading for these guns. I got no issue with folks like you whom prefer the premium “boutique” bullets, and tend to agree that in certain circumstances that they can make the difference between a one shot kill and a multiple shot affair. But for me, the cost of reloading components is no small consideration, and I find that I am simply unwilling to spend $1 a piece, much less $1.60 on bullets when, in my opinion there are suitable and effective bullets to be had for much less expense.

I have settled on the Hornady interlock 180 grain and the Nossler Partition 180 grain for my 30-06 loads. I drive them both to a tad over 2700 fps, and find performance (so far) and accuracy to be sufficient for my needs.

I will be very interested to hear your results for these North Fork bullets, but I suspect, that much like the Barnes and Swift brand bullets, they will remain an interesting topic of discussion and a curiosity to me, but nothing more, as I will simply never be willing to spend that kind of money on bullets……………..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Smile so many 30-06 choices....

A guy could spend a considerable amount of time playing with different bullets for the great 30-06. Here in Alaska all I have loaded for the 30-06 in the last 15 years is a case full of Reloader 19 under the 180 grain Barnes X bullet. Before that it was the 200 grain Nosler Partition. Maybe when I retire I will have more time to shoot, I hope so. Have fun with your gun!

I still think that the '06 is the best all around choice for North American big game. Its probably overkill on some, lighter than I would prefer on others, but its extreme versatility and readily available ammo make it a great choice. For the past several years, I have been shooting 180 gr. Accubonds w/IMR 4831.

The 06 is great as it is and the only way to maybe make it better is all ready covered by the 300H&H,300WinMag and 300Wby.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    These are expensive bullets (1.60 a peace after shipping) but I really like their idea in design and will see just how they do. If they meet my perceived expectations they will surely increase the level of performance of my 30-06 on big and dangerous game. .

I am at a loss as to how the Northfork bullet can
    Code:
    "increase the level of performance of my 30-06 on big and dangerous game"
    . The construction of the TBBC is near the same, lead front core bonded and a solid rear shank. The TSX bullet give outstanding wound channels and extremely deep penetration. The Northfork bullets are indeed good, but not earth shattering by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    I am at a loss as to how the Northfork bullet can
    Code:
    "increase the level of performance of my 30-06 on big and dangerous game"
    . The construction of the TBBC is near the same, lead front core bonded and a solid rear shank. The TSX bullet give outstanding wound channels and extremely deep penetration. The Northfork bullets are indeed good, but not earth shattering by any means.
    The North Fork gives greater velocities with same charges as the TBBC and better accuracy than the TBBC.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have used the North Fork bullets in the past for a number of rifles. It is my understanding they went out of production about 2 years ago. Have they started making North Fork bullets again? Same bullet as in the past? Same individual or has perhaps someone else started manufacturing the same or a similar bullet? Web site?

Default 30-06 Ackley improved

Wouldn't cost that much to have your chamber reamed . Would ad approx. 100 fps and get you into H&H country . Joe Reid and Dale Storey are good and fast return time .

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I have used the North Fork bullets in the past for a number of rifles. It is my understanding they went out of production about 2 years ago. Have they started making North Fork bullets again? Same bullet as in the past? Same individual or has perhaps someone else started manufacturing the same or a similar bullet? Web site?
    Yes, they are back in business, same bullet using same technologies just different money behind keeping it in business and different owner but same bullet with just as good quality if not a little more attention.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    Wouldn't cost that much to have your chamber reamed . Would ad approx. 100 fps and get you into H&H country . Joe Reid and Dale Storey are good and fast return time .
    I love the 300H&H but with the 165gr bullet in my last series of test I was able to get outstanding accuracy under 1/2" and velocities of 3060fps without pressure signs or problems. Now that could have been due to my chamber in my Mark V Custom 30-06 which more than likely is the case but I use Sierra HPBT Game King with 60grs (please work up to this) of IMR4350, Winchester brass, Fed 210 primers and OAL of 3.175"

So in essence I have duplicated the 300H&H without having to ream my chamber.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I love the 300H&H but with the 165gr bullet in my last series of test I was able to get outstanding accuracy under 1/2" and velocities of 3060fps without pressure signs or problems. Now that could have been due to my chamber which more than likely is the case but I use Sierra HPBT Game King with 60grs (please work up to this) of IMR4350, Winchester brass, Fed 210 primers and OAL of 3.175"

So in essence I have duplicated the 300H&H without having to ream my chamber.
    Haven't tried them, but they look like popouts from the old Nosler Zipedo technology. And that's a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Haven't tried them, but they look like popouts from the old Nosler Zipedo technology. And that's a compliment.
    Very good way of putting it. You have got to try them. I have not on game but two buddies of mine have and they were outstanding on elk. It was like hitting them with a Cast LBT type bullet for penetration, but with the advantage of and expanding bullet. With the pressure rings they are getting above average velocities out of their 30-06's by 25 - 50fps due to the reduced friction and ability to use max loads while still maintaining good hunting accuracy.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Wow…………. Now that’s a heap o 06 shooting!

I have a few rifles chambered in 30-06 myself and have also done a fair piece of reloading for these guns. I got no issue with folks like you whom prefer the premium “boutique” bullets, and tend to agree that in certain circumstances that they can make the difference between a one shot kill and a multiple shot affair. But for me, the cost of reloading components is no small consideration, and I find that I am simply unwilling to spend $1 a piece, much less $1.60 on bullets when, in my opinion there are suitable and effective bullets to be had for much less expense.

I have settled on the Hornady interlock 180 grain and the Nossler Partition 180 grain for my 30-06 loads. I drive them both to a tad over 2700 fps, and find performance (so far) and accuracy to be sufficient for my needs.

I will be very interested to hear your results for these North Fork bullets, but I suspect, that much like the Barnes and Swift brand bullets, they will remain an interesting topic of discussion and a curiosity to me, but nothing more, as I will simply never be willing to spend that kind of money on bullets……………..
    Yes I agree and through the years I have had one favorite bullet for deer and like game and that is the Sierra Game King HPBT and it is very inexpensive compared to other bullets. I like the 168gr TSX also. I have been using a Remington 180gr CL and really liked it along with the Nosler Partition.

I agree that there are many bullets out there that do a great job. I am looking for accuracy, strong construction that will open at any of the distances I will be shooting and still hold together if the animal is big and thick. I want velocity to be above the average along with the construction. The North Fork bullet at the moment in limited work so far is meeting the accuracy and velocity expectations but I have not used on game. I want one bullet make that will in it's different weights handle all my hunting and meet my criteria.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Oh, buy the way, just an interesting note. I used a Lee die to get the accuracy of the work I did with the 165gr bullet in my 30-06's.

I use RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Lyman and Lee for each of my loads to see which one gets me the most consistent accuracy in five three shoot groups.

Then I go with that die and shoot nine three shot groups to see if it holds to form. The Lee dies have out preformed the the above dies in 5 of the seven rifles I loaded for and finished second to Redding on one and Lyman on the other with a over all difference of 1/4".

RCBS perfomed the worst with only a 3rd place behind the Redding which was second and the Lee which was first with a Savage 06.

Infact of all the loads I have ever posted the tight groups were from a Lee die except the 416Wby and the 375Wby of which they do not make one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Smile Lee dies

Oh, buy the way, just an interesting note. I used a Lee die to get the accuracy of the work I did with the 165gr bullet in my 30-06's.

I use RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Lyman and Lee for each of my loads to see which one gets me the most consistent accuracy in five three shoot groups.

Then I go with that die and shoot nine three shot groups to see if it holds to form. The Lee dies have out preformed the the above dies in 5 of the seven rifles I loaded for and finished second to Redding on one and Lyman on the other with a over all difference of 1/4".

RCBS perfomed the worst with only a 3rd place behind the Redding which was second and the Lee which was first with a Savage 06.

Infact of all the loads I have ever posted the tight groups were from a Lee die except the 416Wby and the 375Wby of which they do not make one.
    Thanks for that information. That is very interesting.

I found it very interesting and was surprised to say the least considering the fact that most of the time you get what you pay for. It is cool when something does not cost an arm and a leg and still produces exceptional results. I like surprises like that.

In fact it has reached the point that Lee dies are the only ones I use for my revolvers period and that is due to consistent accuracy over the years that I have obtained with the Lee dies.

Now if you are a match shooter I am sure you have your favorite setup and special steps and equipment to get very find accuracy you need to win a match. But when it comes to common use or for hunting, I am finding the value in cost and performance to be outstanding and above average with Lee dies. Now no one get excited because I am not talking down other dies, I have other dies I would not trade you or sell to you because of what they have accomplished for me in accuracy. Now for the money the Lee dies are hard to beat.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS