Thread: Installing Hydraulics In New Boat

Default Installing Hydraulics In New Boat

Will throw this out to any shrimpers and commerical folks that follow this column...

Was wondering what U prefer in the area of hydraulics. Our vessel will have a diesel engine, transmission and 274 Hami jetpump. Will be for non commerical use, ie., fishing, shrimping and hunting. Would like to look into hydraulics during the design and build rather than later.

Builder has told us that we can upgrade our DC hydraulic unit for the reverse bucket on the Hamilton so that its possible to run 2 or 3 more accessories off of it. The cost for valve banks is about $150 for each line and could be added to the DC unit very easily.

What hydraulic accessories do you run and why?
    Anything U would do different and any new products now on the market that have caught your eye?
    Have U had any safety issues that have surfaced after installing or using the equipment?
    Can a hydraulic pot puller on a davit be used successfully to also pull anchor if the bow roller is located on the same side of the vessel?
    Anyone installed/use a bow steering system?

Any info appreciated and thank you.
    SeaULater

Cool Hydro Luv

My boat (19 GRT) uses her 20 GPM Vickers pump on a 3-71 main to over power the anchor winch, a 14" Kinematics linehauler, and a skookum deck wash..
    She can deadlift a crab pot heavy enough to "pop in the block", and can get in serious trouble beam to with a foul'd string of pots. I've splashed the stern quarter a couple times not paying attention.

The boat carries a 180-lb and 2 100-lb anchors with big chain rodes ("Trim ballast"), as well as a 40 lb Bruce lunch hook/halibut anchor.
    Thanks to her hydros, she has no problem lifting any of her hooks out of the mud.

I want a fast light cathead winch to purse rode for the light anchor, but that's only because the linehauler is on the aft deck and it's a pain to walk the anchor line back there to weigh with the crab block.
    Haven't had to kedge this one off (Yet... ), but that's how I imagine I'll do it when (IF!) the time comes.

Accessories?
    Electric PTO clutch. (I have to manually engage my hydro pump to the PTO, and I better hold my mouth just right, or it wont happen without a lot of grinding. )

Anchor winch fore, linehauler or deck winch and bit aft.

A nice big emergency water pump/deckwsh/livewell/ is always nice to have on any boat. Hydraulic power is really good for this.

Killin' it!

Default Cool

I've got hydraulics on my boat too, makes it jump up and down to Micheal's "Thriller". REAL classy, HUH ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I would be leary of what you can run of the bucket lift hydro's?? also since the hydros will be run off of battery power? how long can you run hydros before battery gets run down.
    For safety make sure the valve that runs the hauler is spring return to neutral so if you let go of the valve the hauler stops.
    Yup you could set it up to haul your anchor, either by fairleads from the bow to the hauler or just run up your anchor line while pulling on the anchor line till you get it straight up & down then bust the anchor out and pull'er up.
    What do you mean by "bow steering system" ?? just another helm unit?? thats easy to install, i have both steering & controls on my bowpicker.
    Here's a picture of a hydro pump/tank/electric clutch i have, it would be perfect for what you are thinking of doing, its small and compact, has lots of power and we used lots of them on Bristol Bay gillnetters to power the stern rollers and net reels. Its a simple install, mounts off the side of the main, 2 belts off the front pulley of the main to the clutch & all you'd do is run the hydro lines from the pump to the valve from the valve to the hauler, back to the valve and back to the pump/tank.
    OR buy a Electro-Dyne electric hauler(IMHO the only good electric hauler) and have almost the same thing.
    PB220006.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Thanks to all...

After doing some extra reading on the subject, for our usage, installing a hydraulic system would probably be unnecessarly complicated and expensive. Will opt for something a little more simple, still get dual usage for pulling pots and anchor, plus it is quickly and completly removable.
    The pic is of a SeaStateOne built vessel in Homer.

potbuilder, sending U a PM for more info on a bow/helm steering system install.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The foreward steering/control station should be no problem for the builder to install. I'm assuming you have hydraulic steering & push/pull cables for controls going into the boat? Just have them fabricate a console or box for the steering helm and control box where it will be handy yet still out of the way.
    Some things i would surely do or have the builder do if i were building a new boat
    1 Make sure they use nylon?(Parker Paraflex) tubing for the steering, not copper, i'd think the copper would eat up pretty fast with the aluminum
    2 Use Kobelt control heads for the forward/reverse/throttle
    3 Use Cablecraft brand control cables, the green ones that are super flexible(pm me if you want to know where to buy them)
    4 Take a good look at the Electra-Dyne pullers, they cost more than those toy box pullers, but they won't let you down.

heres a pic of my pot hauler and the steering station on the bow of my boat
    P6130026.jpg

a customer of mine who bought a Electra-Dyne and mounted it on the back cabin of his C-Dory
    mikehauler.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

SeaULater, how about some stats on that fine rig you are getting built! When do you expect delivery?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default I will let U know...

when everything is finalized. It is looking positive tho; two seasons without a tub is too long.
    SeaULater