Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!Stuck sled

Default HELP!!!Stuck sled

Anybody have any good suggestions on how to get a sled out of a creek? Sunk mine about 3hrs ago here in Willow.Was unabvle to pull it out with my other sled...Looks like it will be spending the night.

Default Cantilever

A friend cantilevered his machine out of the creek up here at Moose Creek ( a couple of years ago). I am not sure what materials he used but he had to let the machine sit over night until he got the poles set up. I wish I could have seen the operation to give up more information on the best way to set it up. Good Luck!

If you can get some help 2 sleds pulling together might do it or a winch on a 4 wheeler.

Default Thanx

Thanx for the replies Rufus & Dogfish.Had it hooked up to 2 sleds and managed to move it towards the bank about 5 ft but now the problem is getting it to come up on the bank.The whole sleds under about 3ft-4ft of water.I'm thinking the cantilever idea may work as it will be pulling up on the sled instead of just nosing it in to the bank.And to think this was just supposed to be a quick Friday night drive!!

Default Canitlever

A simple tripod to support the cantilever may work. Use plenty of rope/hooks on the skis to get it on top of the ice and slide, oops, cantilever it over.

If you don't mind let us know how you put the cantilever together and pulled it out. Thanks!

Default help

make a ramp with a sheet of plywood and use a come-a-long to winch it up onto the bank

Default canoe

My friend an I devised a method using a canoe, long piece of streachable line (I used anchor rope), an a steel fence post. Done this too many times to admit. Put the canoe over the hole, hook onto the bumper, have the rope over the top of the canoe with the person in the canoe lifting as the person on "shore" pulls in the slack on the rope. By using the upside down fencepost buried up to the shank and wrapping the line around the post for leverage, the sled will surface and then just pull it out. Charged the tour companies $150/sled to get em out near Placer River (Ingram Pond).

Default Keep the ideas coming!

Thanks all keep the ideas coming.One of my problems is that its a very heavy sled(rx1 151")and I'm sure all that extra water ain't making it any lighter!

RX1??? Yamahammer?? Leave it there!!

Just kidding......

You are going to need something to feed it back up onto the ice like the plywood idea. I think utilizing a ramp of some sort would be considerably easier than trying to lift it.

What creek are you in?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Creek

Its in a feeder creek off from Long lake.Wondering if long lakes ice is thick enough to drive my truck out onto.Then I'd have enough weight and power to bust it up outta there.Would hate to loose the truck though!!

I don't think I'd risk a truck. If you have access to a wheeler with a winch, go that route. You can make a hole in the ice to anchor the wheeler to then use the winch and a block/tackle to increase the pulling power. It should be plenty to pull with and much lighter than a truck.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Your right,Just starting to feel a little desperate....although I would only have to cross about 300 yds of lake and could do all my pulling from land.

Default cantilever

one pole, at the pivot point the end furthest away from the hole anchor this point, knot the rope near the end of pole closest to hole and onto the sled, now pull the end anchored to the atv with the winch and have a spotter watching the sled as it lifts out of the water.

Default Cantilever

Rufus,let me see if I got this right....take a pole,maybe a log with a Y on one end...put the Y at the top and angle it towards the sled...run the rope from the sled,through the Y and to the pulling machine?By theory it should pull the sled & lift it at the same time? I think this might work! Will give it a try in the am. and let you know.

If you are not sure you are going to get the sled out, leave it. A sled underwater is better than one above water but frozen solid. If you get it half way out and can't get the job done, shove it back in. Ice expansion will total the engine and just about everything else on the sled if it's not back into a warm area or running again immediately. Once it's out of the water the engine will need to be removed and disassembled right away. Leaving it sit will allow corrosion to start in short order. DO NOT attempt to crank the engine with water in it. You will bend valves and tear up the engine since it is a 4 stroke. I have no clue if your ECM and fuel injection system will survive this.

Been there, done that... We removed this sled with three guys, a saw and a rope tied to another machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You may have to build a fire on the bank first before you get all determined to get the sled out. Take some extra dry clothes as well. I don't know what the right combination will be but once you get one of the ski's on the ice you probably could have a 3" or so spruce pole ready to support the belly of the sled as you winch her up and place the ropes to achor again the submerged area. A combination of the tripod and the cantilever may work! Good luck.

Default water & Ice

That was my next biggest fear...getting the water out of it before it froze up in the motor as my garage is not heated !

Default Snow shoe...

Don't know your exact situation or if there is any surounding ice but this is what I did. Although your situation sounds worse than mine was.

I broke through the ice on a river a couple winters ago but my rear bumper hit the bottom of the river before the whole sled submerged. I dove off the machine when I realized I couldn't power out of it. When I stood up my left leg busted throught the ice so I scurried to shore on my belly. I built a GIANT snowshoe out of logs and sticks from shore and was able to pull the skis up high enough by myself to keep the sled from drifting away with the current as it was trying to go under the ice. After a short hike I got cell phone service called a buddy and told him to come out with chest waders. Two of my buddies came out. I put on the chest waders and jumped in hooking a rope to the rear bumper. They crawled out on the snowshoe and pulled as I lifted it from the back .

Default bipod method

A buddy of mine had his kid bust through the ice over on the Alexander a few years back. Same sled as yours. He rigged up a gin pole setup similiar to the cantilever method described earlier. Two spruce poles bound really tight to form a bipod and then ran a snatch strap over that and tied on to the sled. As he pulled ahead the sled raised up and came out over the ice. I would give this a try first. In my mind two spruce poles would be stronger and more stable than a single pole with a fork in it. Wish you luck.

Default Up Date

Hi ya all,Just got back from taking a stroll to knock some ice away from the hole.Took the camera with me and took a few photos.....Ran into another rider back there who said he would go get 2 other people and sleds and meet me in a hour.......Sooooo wish me luck,heres go's nothing!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast