Ok Doc got the nick name thing going on the lower lets see what you all have for the refuge. We all know
In order from just after the powerline down
1. "Pauls Bar" After rounding guardrail stay to the right side. The gravel bar on the right we stopped at with my buddy paul on his first float and fish up here. Our first stop on the island. Paul lands a beautiful 20+ black dolly. Hence "Pauls Bar"
2. "St Crioux Point" Running down the powerline channel the bar on the point on the right were you make the hard right. Mhy buddy Todd pulls in. We fish. Todd has to use the woods. Todd sets St Cioux rod in willows. Todd gets to windy. Todd has no rod. Hence the name (and he never got it back but that was the fall before i joined here. we might of had a chance on here)
3. "Dolly Island" Where the power line channel meets the main channel again. The first year we had our boat we caught dollies hand over fist on that island.
4. "D.J. Point". The gravel bar on the right after you come out of the back channel. Right accross from where the bad sweeper ate up some boats, Got its name from a friend from Spokane who was up here for his first and only trip who had not really fished much. Put him there in september. We caught good numbers of fish and he got his 28" bow there.
5. "Windy Corner" *aka Deago Run* (no disrespect mods continue reading please) Had my good buddy on the down stream end of the island this fall. He was drifting a (hmmmmm ill wait on the cuz he tore em up)down at the lower end under the tress hanging over the bank. Rick Casillo is a 4 time iditarod finisher and a big itialian from Buffalo. He comes back to the boat and looks at us. "Man them fish was making this Deago run all over" Hence the name
6. "Buffalo Channel" This is the channel on the right after your round the corner leaving windy. right after the slack water and before the rock bluff. June and I were in there on labor day. June pops a nice bow in the drift through there and we pull over. It is a narrow channel but very floatable. As im netting her fish a couple of raft come by. I am wearing a Buffalo Sabres NHL hat. I hear Woo Hoo Go Sabres. Woo Hoo go bills. Had a good laugh with them and hence the "Buffalo Channel"
7. "Captain Morgans Corner" (aka bear braids/whirlpool) September of 07. Blue bird day. Saturday. No boats there. (can you believe that) Wife and I pull in and yes it is our anniversery day. I walk the back channel and see nothing but dark black shadows running all over the channel. Wife and I start the party. Brand new bottle of Captian Morgans Private Reserve the boat unopened. June looks at me and says, "every time we catch a fish here we do a shot" I figured a couple of shot would be it. 3 hours later 3/4's of the bottle gone. Needless to say I hung out there a while before heading down the river for the rest of the run. Great fishing and great time and hence the name "Captain Morgans Corner"
8. "Cuervo Channel" This is the channel that you hang a left down that will bring you out at last chance island accross from Jims. Named after Jose (aka liv2fish) off of this forum. He took June and I down it this year and turned us on to a whole different section of the river. Ill be coming back to this channel with its nicknames.
9. "Bear Scat Island" The first year we had out boat we pulled into this island on the left just accross from the highway. It was june and we get out. Look down. On my a big pile of bear scat and it is still steaming. The next fall Junes pulls a beautiful 27" bow with a perfect mouth out of there. Hence the nickname Bear Scat Island
10. "Bunny Hop Island" The island on the right before you hit the rock bluff face as you enter the chute to land at jims. June and I are there and they are not hitting a thing. June takes a Bunny Leech puts #8 champange bead on it at the eye. First 5 casts 2 fish. I switch to the same thing. 4 fish in 10 minutes and well we stayed there a while. So hence she nicknamed it "Bunny Hop Island"
11. "Johnny on the spot" My buddy John (JohnSWA from arizona) was here this fall. We head down the cuervo channel. About midway down there is a spot Jose had turned me onto. Well lo and behold John loved it too. John caught many fish there in his 7 days up and and oh he lost my lunker Dolly there too hence the name "Johnny on the Spot"
12. "$%^& Me Island" This is the last island on the Cuervo channel before you make the final run out to last chance island. Jose, Sam June and I this year running it. Our first time down it as Jose turned us on to it as you know. Fishing was good but then WHAM. Up the river down the river. rolling, anchoring. We all knew it was the one. The one you want and look for all year and some your life. June who has fished all her life got a quick glimpse and just uttered oh my god. Fast, fat fat. I saw his tail and knew this is it. 5wt rod bend to the cork. 15 minutes later and plink. He rolls and he is gone. I drop to my knees and sream $%#% ME. I then stood and smiled and kissed my wife and looked at her. That was the one wasnt it. Yes it was honey was her response. That was a rush i said as i was shaking so hard from the rush. I got schooled and she just laughed with me, Hence the name "$%^& me Island.
Just a little bit of the names we have come up with and share with others when we are on the river. So what nicknames do you guys have and how did you come about them