Thread: Talked to Bob @ Barneys!

Default Talked to Bob @ Barneys!

Thanks to Dennis Byrne @ Alaska True Adventures, I got a hold of Bob Hodson today. We had a good talk and now I realize what his biz is like.
    He asked a lot of great questions about my hunting style, needs and about my physical condition. Result? I've got a Hunters Special Edition with kevlar grizzly cloth coming. I think that is going to be an expensive phone number!

Default Congratulations!

Way to hang in there, KH!

Maybe some photos come Spring?

Thumbs up Barneys Sports Chalet Backpack...

Knikhunter....I'm really glad to hear that you got ahold of Bob at Barneys Sports Chalet. I knew he would provide you with great customer service and an excellent backpack.

Yes, on this forum we will be watching for the May '09 bear pictures or the Sep/Oct '09 pictures of a barneys backpack stuffed full of a whitetail or elk or moose or sheep.

Your backack is mostly waterproof. I do not believe Bob sells it as a waterproof pack, but water will not really penetrate the pack cloth fabric. And that means that blood and critter fluids will accumulate inside the pack after packing out harvested game.

How to clean your backpack...Just put it in a trash can in the backyard, fill it with water and dump in some dawn dish detergent. After letting it sit for a hour+-, scrub it clean with a brush. Rince it out and hang it in the garage to dry. Your pack will be clean and the pack fabric will not retain any odor.

How NOT to clean your backpack...After an extremely successful eight week hunting/guiding season my Barneys pack had accumulated a rather large amount of animal hairs, little meat chunks and lots of blood. When my wife went to work I put the backpack in the bathroom jacuzzi tub, filled the tub with hot water and dumped in laundry detergent and a bottle of dawn dish soap. I turned on the jacuzzi with the bubbles and water jets thinking that would help clean up the mess inside the pack. I then accidently dozed off and fell asleep for two hours. I woke up and the entire bathroom was covered three feet deep in pink soap bubbles. The pack was reasonably clean, but it took me four more hours to clean up the soap and bubbles and hairs and little meat chunks all over the bathroom. Do not clean your backpack using the jacuzzi tub methed.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default On keeping your pack clean

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    ...blood and critter fluids will accumulate inside the pack after packing out harvested game.

How to clean your backpack...Just put it in a trash can in the backyard, fill it with water and dump in some dawn dish detergent. After letting it sit for a hour+-, scrub it clean with a brush. Rince it out and hang it in the garage to dry. Your pack will be clean and the pack fabric will not retain any odor....
    Dennis,

Here's a tip that will save you a lot of trouble with cleaning your pack. Use a plastic trash compactor bag as a pack liner whenever you pack meat or hides. I've been doing it that way for years, and have never had blood in my pack that required deep cleaning like you mentioned.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Gentlemen

To get blood out of fabrics, is easy. Just use a medical grade hydrogen peroxide ($.89 @ Wally World) on the spot. The hydrogen peroxide breaks down the proteins in blood and it releases from cloth in a foamy froth. Then rinse with cool water. If you get blood on your huntin' duds just do the same and then launder to remove that 2 week in the bush smell, LOL. This is the method used by hospitals to remove blood from clothes and linens.
    NOTE; Doesn't work well after laundering and drying, the blood sets with heat.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Peroxide on clothing...

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    To get blood out of fabrics, is easy. Just use a medical grade hydrogen peroxide ($.89 @ Wally World) on the spot. The hydrogen peroxide breaks down the proteins in blood and it releases from cloth in a foamy froth. Then rinse with cool water. If you get blood on your huntin' duds just do the same and then launder to remove that 2 week in the bush smell, LOL. This is the method used by hospitals to remove blood from clothes and linens.
    NOTE; Doesn't work well after laundering and drying, the blood sets with heat.
    Okay I'll bite... won't it leach the color out of the material?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

-Mike
    It shouldn't affect the color, Mike. What he's talking about here is a specific biochemical reaction, not a "bleaching" effect that washes away all color. Actually, my friend used this very same tactic tonight on her carpet when we were butchering her bison and it worked like a champ.

I have had success getting blood (and alot of other stuff) out using gojo hand cleaner.

Default Okay, I gotta ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It shouldn't affect the color, Mike. What he's talking about here is a specific biochemical reaction, not a "bleaching" effect that washes away all color. Actually, my friend used this very same tactic tonight on her carpet when we were butchering her bison and it worked like a champ.
    Uh, Brian. Please tell me that you did the butchering on the family room carpet and not in the living or dining rooms... please....

I just hafta ask...

-Mike

Default Clean pack

I use a two part method for keeping my pack clean very similar to what Michael does. I use a dry bag instead of a compactor bag. I find it gives me a great receptical for handling a precious bundle of Alaskan game. I can easily seperate the meat bag from my pack and kinda be careless about it because the meat is very well sealed inside the dry bag. It also acts as a cooling receptical for multiday hunts. I know the compactor bags do the same thing and are indeed very durable but like everything in this country you gotta make it tougher or it's not gonna hold up.

My pack is a Bora internal frame pack....I'm not mentioning that to have another battle of the packs thread but just to highlight a fabric difference. It is constructed with a nylon tear resistant fabric that has been combined on the interior with a plastic of some sort. The interior is very similar to the dry bag fabric really without the woven material. My point........It washes out really nice and thats what I do with my dry bags too. I wash them out and reuse them. Ok this is turning into some kinda greenie argument....now listen here boys get on out and save the environment and reuse your blood soaked bags and save a tree while your at it! LOL

While that pack is new and sweet smelling you don't really think as much about these things but five years down the road you'll be glad you sprung for good fabrics in your pack.

Ok I'm done yaking out in cyberspace. I'm gonna go load up the boat, throw on the ol' Bora and try and corner me a rutty Blacktail.

Uh, Brian. Please tell me that you did the butchering on the family room carpet and not in the living or dining rooms... please....

I just hafta ask...

-Mike
    Dining room table, Mike. My friend got a little excited with a chunk of meat and a few drops went flying.

I know some folks won't butcher in the house, but my wife and I always do it in our kitchen. If we're butchering at my brother's house, he's got a garage that has a great setup for it, but here or at my friend's house we're a little cramped (and cold) in the garage, so the kitchen makes more sense.

Default Nope

-Mike
    Medical grade Hydrogen Peroxide (not the stuff Mom does her hair with) won't leech the color out of fabric. Great to get blood out of hunting clothes, meat bags, and carpet, HUH Brian?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Default stealing

talk about hijacking a thread!!! Mike you should be ashamed for taking part in such bad conduct

Wink hijacked

Well, I hyjacked the thread. Mike only participated in the hyhacking, I'll accept whatever punishment is reasonable.

Dennis B.

Default OOOPs

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    talk about hijacking a thread!!! Mike you should be ashamed for taking part in such bad conduct
    Sorry about my part of the hijack !

Default Done your time

You all have been duely chastised and publicly humiliated and your sentence is reduced to time served