Thread: Taxidermy before and after

Default Taxidermy before and after

My wife shot her first Black Bear this spring. When we found him, I noticed that he had several scars and fresh wounds. Both ears were spit and his right eye was trashed. I just got done painting the mount and thought I would show a couple before and after shots. Anybody else have the taxidermist save the day after having a damaged trophy?

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Black Bear

Wow Stid, what remarkable job you've done. You and the wife should be very proud. Should open a pert time business, it would turn quickly into full time. sorry, there would go your time for hunting. Good show.

Default Nice

Nice work, do you want a job? Is that an aztec airbrush? I love my aztec, I use that one the most. Good job keep it up.

Tracy
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Is that an aztec airbrush? I love my aztec, I use that one the most. Good job keep it up.

Tracy
    I have the Aztec also but I still use my Pasche the most
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The air brush is an Aztec, with a full set of tips you can paint most projects. Since I moved to Alaska I had to learn, taxidermy, raft repair, sewing, how to make a moose fit into a small plane, ect.... I used to just drag it to make taxidermist and drop it there, not here. LOL

Steve
    Founding Member

Default Nice job on the eye

but if I remember her bear had a 19" skull? Even if it didn't, nothing meant in a bad way here man, but that head looks funny. Looks like maybe the head form was to small? The ears look way to big. The head has some extra skin down low around the base. Is it just the pics putting things out of proportion? Wasn't going to say anything but to me something doesn't match up. Awesome work though and the scar dissapeared!

Default Scars

If you are doing jobs for other people I would be careful about fixing up scars like that. My big blackie from a couple of years ago had a ton of scars and tears and that's what gave it so much character. I would have been PISSED if the taxi had of painted them up. He left it all as is and it looks awesome, shows he was a big bruiser that liked to fight.

My buddy on the same trip sent his to a different taxi who did "fix" all of the scars and marks and he still complains to this day.
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

It is the wifes and what she says goes. I left the scar, just made it look healed. Just don't show in the photo. Leaving the open raw wound would have been a little much for her taste.

Steve
    Founding Member

Default wonderful

You did a wonderful job and I'm sure that you are rather proud of it and you have a right to be!!!

Default Ditto on the size

I remember the photos from the boat you posted and my first impression was that indeed your form might be off in proportions. the snout just doesn't match up with the cranium size. Other than that your technique is great. No offense please.....It was a public forum and your seeking imput.

Honestly your a leg up on me.....I'm sitting on a tanned black bear hide and you wouldn't catch me breaking out a mold and airbrush to do my own taxidermy work. Really your combination of talents is impressive.

Default add to DIY album

Steve,

Add a couple bear photos in your DIY photo album. I can not view them in this forum. For some reason I can view all of your photos in your personal albums. Thanks, Rod

Will do Rod, I use photobucket to host the photos and some places block these sites. The photos in the personal photo album are uploaded to ODD, that is the difference. Good to hear from you hope all is well downrange.

Stay safe and see ya soon. PS you the wife needs help with those triggers let me know.

Steve
    Founding Member

Default Do Over!!!

Well after the comments and knowing in my heart that I had used a form that was too small, I sucked it up and changed it out. Had to soak it for a while to get it all to come loose. Here are the after photos. Thanks to those that offered comments. Does more justice to his big old head. Just need to do the felt, still have plenty of cold and dark...

Thanks for looking..

Steve
    Founding Member

It looks cooler without the felt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Sweet looking

does she want felt? Looks cool naked, more natural, but felt always looks nice too. Only seen just tanned hides naked, not rugs, I like it man. Good job, and didn't mean to bust your balls in any way. Just type what is on mind you know.

So how much you gonna charger her?

Default Not bad at all....

You would be surprised how much you can stretch a head with the right amount of fleshing/thinning. A head will always shrink some after dried and back from the tannery, Im a DIY Taxidermy hobbyist as well. Been doing my own critters since 02. Although, you seem to be doing just fine, if you need any pointers let me know. My work can be found in my albums, not professional, but good enough for me. Enjoy!!! AH
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"