Thread: snowmachine registration?

Question snowmachine registration?

is registration required in AK? if so, where do i go to get my machine registered?

thanks in advance for any info.

You can get it registered at any DMV and I do believe it is required.

Thumbs up thanks akhunter45,

you got me started on the right track with the DMV tip. here are a couple useful links for others with the same question:

http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages...v/reg/snow.htm

http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages...5_snow_atv.htm

cheers

Default Even better than required....

The money they collect ( a whole $10) is used to maintain area trails, including the Susitna Landing trail we ride in to Trapper Lake. Talk about a win-win scenario, huh? You can use th registration to locate stolen sleds, and the money is used to support our hobby. Tough decision whether to register?

They are pissing the money away, it isn't getting to the people they said it would! It is just another tax! If you want to ride a groomed trail they have them in Wisconsin. They found just as many stolen machines before they were registered.
    Tim

It is required for operation on state lands and you can be cited for not having your sled registered (and yes they do). Sure you could look at it as a tax... or you could look at it as a user fee. For nearly the same user fee that it takes to sleep in your own tent in a state park for one night, you can register a snowmachine. And the money does go into trail maintenance. Groomed trails that are free of dead fall are a great way to get to the play grounds. Having pounded down countless miles of ungroomed trails on a Drifter in my youth, I'll gladly fork over the cash to keep the access trail systems groomed.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thumbs up Well of course not in Fairbanks!

I see by your profile why you are suspicious. If you come down to the Mat Valley, you can see your taxes at work. The Susitna Trail, the Big Lake trails, and the Iditarod trails are a few examples of where the state spends your registration dollars, and quite frankly, they are beautiful trails. In March, they start "setting" the trails for mushing, and they are so smooth, you could run JOAT's old Kawasaki down them and think you had suspension. If it's any consolation, those of us down here REALLY appreciate all of the registration fees you guys pay in the outlying areas!

BTW, I grew up in Fairbanks and used to resent that the state never spent money up there.

Typical misguided crap if it was a user fee there would be a collection box at the beginning of your groomed trail. Like the one in your camp ground example! No you want others to pay for you to be able to go out, with out too much work and say look at me I'm a big tough Alaskan. It's a Tax and should be abolished the people that use the groomed trail should be the ones paying for it. That is called a user fee....Also, title's should have been used before registrations, showing legal chain of ownership.
    Tim

Wink We don't need no stinking Registrations!

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    is registration required in AK? if so, where do i go to get my machine registered?

thanks in advance for any info.
    Not out here!

Thumbs up got 'er done

no matter how you slice it the registration fee of $5 per year is not much $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    no matter how you slice it the registration fee of $5 per year is not much $$$.
    Your right! It is too much!
    Tim

Go ahead and don't pay it if you decide that is best. Be prepared to be cited and pay a fine considerably larger than the registration fee. That is the way to protest. Feel some pain!!

Default Registration

I finally registered mine last year..after getting a warning..

All the registrations together were about the same as the $100 ticket would have been.

Any DMV will do it, just bring your serial number and bill of sale.. if you have one..one of my old sleds didn't have one so I had to sign an affidavit of purchase..no big deal.

Worth it to not worry about no tags when Johnny Law appears out of no where..and that seems to happen more and more lately

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Typical misguided crap if it was a user fee there would be a collection box at the beginning of your groomed trail.
    Do you ride on any State land? If so, the $5 per year registration fee is payment for your privilege to do so. I seriously don't understand all the whine over such an insignificant registration law.

If you don't ride on public lands, then you are NOT required to register the sled. So they've even given you a choice to opt out.

Hate to ask what you think of the $70 per year highway vehicle registration fee.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Do you ride on any State land? If so, the $5 per year registration fee is payment for your privilege to do so. I seriously don't understand all the whine over such an insignificant registration law.

If you don't ride on public lands, then you are NOT required to register the sled. So they've even given you a choice to opt out.

Hate to ask what you think of the $70 per year highway vehicle registration fee.
    You are confused I already own and pay for my portion of public Land; That is why It is PUBLIC. That is not the same as the fee to drive on improved highways. It is not alright for you to take 5 dollars or 5,000 dollars from some one else just because you make up an arbitrary reason. If you think it is a great use of your money, why don't you donate more to the state! Also if your thinking was correct (which it isn't) there would be a fee for everyone that uses PUBLIC lands, Hikers, musher's, hunters................. not just snowmachines.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    You are confused I already own and pay for my portion of public Land; That is why It is PUBLIC. That is not the same as the fee to drive on improved highways. It is not alright for you to take 5 dollars or 5,000 dollars from some one else just because you make up an arbitrary reason. If you think it is a great use of your money, why don't you donate more to the state! Also if your thinking was correct (which it isn't) there would be a fee for everyone that uses PUBLIC lands, Hikers, musher's, hunters................. not just snowmachines.
    Yeah what the heck we gotta pay to snowmachine and also hunt on public land?? Screw it I'm not paying for either anymore cause I don't see any good coming out of my sno-go registration or my hunting license. Don't even get me started on a fishing license that even on state land. All kidding aside like some laws you might not agree with them, but it is the law and most try to abide accordingly.