Thread: Whites Pac Boots

Default Whites Pac Boots

Anybody ever used Whites Pac boots I am looking at aquiring a good pair of Pac boots for Hunting and such other options I looked at were Schnees and Kenetreks. Ive heard a lot about the later two just wondering how the whites stack up?

Default have a pair

of the elk hunters and they are a good boot however, I would probably look to something else for a good hunting boot. The elk hunter pac that I have is more of a snow boot. Not a lot of support in the foot for walking all day but still a really nice pac. They moved overseas for production on these now so some of the quality is not what the old American made boots were. They are still totally rebuildable though so I would definitely keep them in the running if you are looking at that sort of a boot.

my wife got a pair of whites about 10 years ago, and they have been great for her. i got some at the same time, but the rubber cracked badly, and even when i had the bottoms redone the problem recurred.
    i have schnees now, on my second pair of bottoms after 6-7 years of hard use.
    never a complaint, i hunted bou in freezing rain and snow, and as long as i had a spare set of liners to switch out my feet stayed as warm as i could hope for.
    (little toe heaters are great to have, though!)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default whites are crap

i had a pair, my dad had a couple of pairs and just about every logger i know in northwest montana at one time or another has had them. they are heavy, and crack where the rubber flexes with each step. the up side is that they are warm as long as you have extra liners, and get great traction. but the down sides out weigh the ups. and don't get hoffman boots either they are worse. i don't get pacs anymore so i couldn't recomend any, i go with danners now

Default Whites

I have had a pair for about 10 years. I think my model is "The Claw." I don't have extensive experience with Pac Boots, but I like these. They fit very well. They're very warm, and they've held up. I haven't experienced the sole problems mentioned earlier. They are relatively heavy. Mine have a very solid (Rigid) sole.

A friend recently purchased some Schnee's. The model he has is much lighter than my White's. I doubt they are as warm. He wore them on a recent hunt in difficult country and likes the comfort. It wasn't very cold on his hunt.

I've got schees, and will confirm the fact that they aren't as warm as the whites. I park mine in anything below 10-15 degrees and break out the bunny boots. They are a very high quality boot though. Far better leather than most pac boots and excellent traction. Good hunting boot.

Yk

Default whites rubber

They got their compound figured out, sent mine back half dozen times and they replaced the bottoms FREE OF CHARGE everytime. They got their rubber compound figured out now and no more cracks, and if the do I will send them back for another FREE fix.
    they stand behind their boots, no questions asked!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Some of Schnee's boots are made in the Orient now, too. Don't know what the quality is, but something to think about.
    I also wear Danners now. Their Canadians are good for colder weather that is still too warm for real winter boots. The Fort Lewis boot is available insulated or uninsulated, and is a good warm weather hunting boot.

Default Pacs

White's makes some of the best work boots out there, but I personally wouldn't wear their pacs. I love my White's Smoke Jumpers for work boots, but go with the Kenetrek 13" Grizzly if you want a good pac style hunting boot. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-3428-K

Jeff

Default schnees

I have a pair of Schnees that I have had for 8 years and had rebuilt once because of cactus spines poked holes in toes while hunting antelope and mule deer in eastern Montana. Just to let you know Kennetrek are more or less the same as Schnees. The the one main owner of Kennetrek was a Schnee employee for over 20 years and re-used most of all their ideas and now call them a different name. Never used whites, but my Schnees work well down to -15 with good wool socks, and after that feet start to get cold. I used them elk hunting is real steep terrain on one hunt. I had half an elk on my back coming down real steep grassy/sage hill and there is not enough support/way to tighten them to prevent foot from slipping in boot. At the end of the day I ended up with blisters the size of an egg on the underside of both heels. There is no way to tighten the boot over your lower foot/instep. Not good steep terain boots. I used them on a buffalo hunt in Delta and they worked great in the snow with temps at the coldest of -12 degrees. Great for that use. Good luck with your choice.

I've had White's Elk Hunters for several years. I had the lowers replaced once because I tore a hole in one boot. Definitely my fault. Do I like them? Enough to buy the same model for my wife and kid. We use them for riding snowmachines. -35* hasn't been a problem. Absolutely great boots!