Thread: Weasle trapping

Default Weasle trapping

Does anyone know how to alter a weasle cubbie to hold a conibear 110 or 120? I have seen how most people make a box with two holes in it, and there is a small foothold trap inside it, so when the weasle comes in through the hole, it gets caught in the foothold. Can you alter this to hold a conibear? I dont own any footholds, but do own a dozen 120's. I dont particularly want to go buy a bunch of footholds just to trap weasles. I guess i could use a small havahart, but that would make a different thread. Any advice is appreciated.

I used to catch tons of them with rat traps nailed to trees when I was younger.

You can remove the front of the box and notch both sides for a 120 like you would do for a marten box. You may have to alter your triggers on the 120 with a piece of monofiliment line as weasels (ermine) will go around or through conibear triggers easily.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    I used to catch tons of them with rat traps nailed to trees when I was younger.
    I was actually thinking about just buying some rat traps of of the internet, i dont think anywhere sells them in juneau, but i'll keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    I was actually thinking about just buying some rat traps of of the internet, i dont think anywhere sells them in juneau, but i'll keep looking.
    Fred Meyer has them
    Nice Marmot.

Default rat traps

weasels are hard to catch with a 110 as they can get in and out without triggering the trap, or if they do, many times they still get away. If I have weasels getting into my marten boxes, I put a rat trap inside and many times they'll be caught in that and not the 110. Trapper Dude's idea of Monofiliment is pretty good but there is still a lot of room for a weasel to get around or under it. Rat traps would be easier to set though.

Default While you wait on your rat traps.....

Stick the trigger through a small piece of meat and then bend the ends of the triggers upwards. Then let the meat freeze solid on the trigger. It's the only way I've got the little thieves. Even then they sometimes spring a 110 and slip thru. Rat traps sound like the best idea but this is something you can do while you wait for them to come in the mail...

Don Abel's has them.

Thanks for all of the replies as to where to find rat traps, so im just going to use them. Is it easier to have the trap nailed down to the box, or for it to not be nailed down? What shoud I use for bait, will herring work?

Chicken livers or something really bloody is best. Herring will probably get you a little action though.

Default Rat traps...

Will also catch shrews, which will disable your set. Ive been guarding my weasel boxes with 110's as well. Use the caught shrew as bait and reset your rat trap.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"