Thread: Please help gunsmith/machinist with job search!

Default Please help gunsmith/machinist with job search!

Greetings everyone.

I'm a lifetime competitor in shooting, and a 14 year tool & die precision machinist. I have scoured the internet trying to find a job add for a Machinist and or gunsmith, or even a business who could use a lowly "gunsmith apprentice." I have never found a single lmisting. I'm starting to belive their is not a single lathe or mill in all of AK! If anyone has a lead on a job, a hiring machine shop or gunsmithing business I would be very appreciative of the information. My wife and I are looking to relocate to AK, as we now have a small child and want to raise our child far in a really wild and rural land. My e-mail is NativeManT@Yahoo.com. I have resumes and cover letters ready. Thank you so very much.

Tres

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

My suggestion would be to hold off until spring when the bulk of the hiring happens up here in Alaska and then start looking for positions that would put your skills to work in the Aviation, Oil field or perhaps heavy equipment sectors. Move up and see if the wife and kids can adjust to Alaska (many cannot) and then, if it looks like it will work for you, buy a house with a garage and start your own gunsmith business.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Move up and see if the wife and kids can adjust to Alaska (many cannot) and then, if it looks like it will work for you, buy a house with a garage and start your own gunsmith business.
    A lot of folks can't handle the long winter nights very well.

Default might try the ARR

The Railroad has a position posted for a Heavy equipment mechanic right now. It could get you in the door and then you could apply for a machinist/electrician(they have combined crafts) when the opportunity comes around. Good benefits at the railroad. Go to workplace alaska and then look under the Alaska railroad. The posting closes in a couple days so if you are interested I wouldn't waste much time.

Thanks all.

I read Juneau and vacinity has lighting and temps not unlike areas of the lower 48. ?

Thanks and keep me in mind!

Tres