Thread: yurts

Default yurts

would a yurt be good for the alaska bush ,..to set up in remote county and have it a base camp set up with every thing need to live and work and play in the backcounty as need
    any info would help ..looking for a diff typle of cabin or than wood typle
    building

Default re: yurt in the bush...

Yes yurts can be very comfortable. Strong, tight and dry. There is a yurt manufacturing business down here in Homer. I would just be nervous about trying to leave it set up in the bush. Mainly cause I think of all the remote cabins I've seen with bear claw and teeth marks all over them.

We had a local lady living in a yurt. Didn't take long before she realized that it was inefficient to heat well and that the walls wouldn't stop a black bear. She built a stick frame cabin later.

There are other yurts in the Talkeetna area that seem to be holding up fine, but there are people in them full time.

By the time you pay for the yurt and the floor you could build it conventional stick frame style for the same price with better insulation and better resistance to bears breaking in.

Yurt for sale in T-keetna. Move the yurt and sell the property?

http://www.talkeetnarealestate.net/b...224138129.html

Look in the "search for homes" for the listing. Last for sale listing.

Default This was mentioned earlier, but...

worth mentioning again. For what a yurt costs, you could put up a much better building for about the same money. As roomy as a yurt is, you can get as much "livable" space out of a box-type cabin. Better insulation, bear protection, and human protection. Piece of mind...worth a lot imo.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I like how "netflix" is mentioned as one of the amenities of the place.

LMAO... NetFlix is 90% of the mail that gets dropped at that U.S. mail box on my sidewalk. I'm thinking of just getting a drop box with the request that you deposit the NetFlix discs with unsealed envelopes so I don't have to wait for them to send them to me I'd probably get 20 a day.

A close solution is A military Arctic 10 man squad tent works very well. Smoke pipe hole, liner and lots of addons, as well as one pole and rope to pegs, these babies are warm!