Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theft From Remote Cabins?

Question Theft From Remote Cabins?

Hi all. My DH & I are seriously thinking about buying a remote cabin off-grid for a vacation getaway. We were wondering if anyone has ever had problems with things going missing while you were away from your cabins? How do you keep people from stealing things like generators and other small appliances while you're gone? It almost seems silly to ask but we live in MD and if your things aren't bolted down someone will come by and try to nab it no matter how far off the beaten path you think you are.

I'd think maybe about buying a trail cam that would'nt flash and hide it the best you can close to where you keep your stuff. Then maybe another a little ways down the trail that you acesss your place from. Most people up here that I've meet will leave your stuff alone, but theres always that one......... E.S.

Lock the door and pray nobody will come along.

Default crooks

I lock my door and shutter the windows and have some pretty creative hiding nooks built into a partition for guns , binocs , etc . . Cut your whiskey with an equal amount of gasoline .

Lock the door and pray nobody will come along.
    LOL. My father-in-law always says that a locked door just keeps the honest people out.

I lock my door and shutter the windows and have some pretty creative hiding nooks built into a partition for guns , binocs , etc . .
    I like the idea of hiding nooks. That's pretty clever.

Cut your whiskey with an equal amount of gasoline .
    Leave whiskey behind? I'd never...

I have no tolerance. I will have their pictures and as a minimum, the world will see their activities. I will post them everywhere. Public humilitation.

Good neighbors is a plus. Certain areas are pretty free of bottom dwellers for a reason.

or

SSS

Shoot, Shovel, Shutup.

Mike

Default It isn't common...

...unless you are along a river or trail that sees a lot of traffic. We've never had a door that locks out here. Then again we are pretty much here all the time. It does happen along the Yukon, however, and some friends of ours have sadly had to put locks on their doors and stash chainsaws and such.

I wrote a longish story once on the forum about a fellow bushrat tracking down some thieves who hit all the cabins along the Yukon while boating from Circle to the Fortymile River...wish I could find that story now...he eventually found them and the ending for them was not very good <grin>. And on the way back from the Fortymile he stopped in at everyone's place who had items stolen and they went through the booty in his boat and picked out what was theirs. Like Santa Claus really, and everyone got their stuff back. Never found out what happened to the two guys he left naked and alone about ten miles from the Fortymile bridge after taking back all the stolen items by gunpoint and cutting their boat loose. They were very lucky that's all he did, not the type of guy to mess with, and much of the stolen loot was his <grin>.

bushrat's comments about major thoroughfares covers most of it.

If you're building a cabin on a major trail, (either liquid trail or terra firma trail doesn't matter much), or building in a place where the State does you the 'favor' of opening up a minimally-restricted and POORLY supervised hunt, as they did in unit 20A for the better part of a decade, then count on a certain percentage of those who come upon your turf as being less than honorable. Not all. Just some.

Let folks know that it's -not- a public use/government owned cabin by posting a dozen or so'private property' signs. Let it be known that intruding into domociles in Alaska is a shooting offense, but that if someone is TRULY in need of a very real emergency shelter, i.e. not just taking the sleazy route for poor planning, laziness, etc., that the place may be used, but that you expect it to be restocked, expect them to leave some form of contact information, and -make that clear-. The signage about emergency use is your own call, but that'd be my inclusive remark.

Hollowed walls or trap doors, buried caches, etc., add to the survivability of your goods... but are no guarantee.

But rates of theft in the bush these days, especially on well-travelled routes, is fairly high; generators, saw mills, liquor, antlers, fuel, food... you name it.

I think that there's a hard-wired-but-subconscious sort of logic (or lack of logic) at play in the minds of many average (otherwise decent) suburbanites or urbanians, that mutters quietly, from somewhere deep inside the brain, that "If I'm 'x' miles from any known cross-roads or street signage, then all of this stuff belongs to God. And in that God made me in his image, it must belong to me too..." (Yes, there was some degree of sarcasm in that, but some significant seriousness, too... )

Too many examples or anecdotes to bore you with. It's a shame, but it's also a reality.

Default A picture of metal door installation

A friend of mine has a place along a major river. He flew out a few winters ago with a special metal door he welded up. His place has a sauna behind the cabin that has no windows at all in it. So he manufactured this special door to put on the sauna and wanted my help installing it. Ended up having to cut out the sauna door quite a bit wider/taller. Note the extended circular part on the left of door. That is so you can put padlock inside there and no one can cut it or pound on it.

I must admit I was kinda saddened he felt he had to go to these lengths to protect his property. The idea was to store all the valuables in the sauna when gone, generator, chainsaw, guns etc. And hopefully no one would be so desperate as to cut a hole in the sauna wall or anything.

Also want to expand on what Ruffle said about leaving a note of some kind at a cabin. This friend leaves a note saying this is private property, his name and phone #, and that people are welcome to use the cabin if they are in sincere/dire need. The cabin itself is not locked; he's found that locking it doesn't prevent some from breaking in, and then that just means more work for him on doorframe. (Windows when gone are always boarded up with nails sticking out forward for bear protection, bolted on through the walls.) He also says in the note to please replace anything used, and if you can't to please contact him so he knows what has been taken, no questions asked.

Attached Images Attached Images

One more note on this subject: We never lock the door on the cabin because if some one out there does get in trouble, he/she can get in ( their going to anyway) with out any hassle. I would rather let them use the place than see in the headlines that they died at the door because they did'nt have the strenght to bust the door down. That being said, if they were in dire need I would'nt even ask them to replace the items that that they comsumed, however we have a pad and pen there and it would be nice if you could relate your story while you're getting better. Just be careful, we have the same protection that bushrat was saying about the windows , but we have one with 16d nails on the ground in front of the door. E.S.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

I wrote a longish story once on the forum about a fellow bushrat tracking down some thieves who hit all the cabins along the Yukon while boating from Circle to the Fortymile River...wish I could find that story now...
    One of my FAVORITE posts on these boards...Here it is Mark...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...8&postcount=15
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I LOVE IT! That's my kind of justice. Great story, Bushrat! And thanks, AlaskaHippie, for finding it.

Thanks for the info, everyone. It's good to know what to expect when we're planning a vacation getaway that's sooo far away from home. This is something we'll take into consideration while looking for a place. It takes the importance of "location" to a whole new level.

It is a shame that nothing is sacred anymore...

Default Thanks Hippie!

M, I have no idea how you tracked that down (and don't want to know <grin>) but thanks much. I have a lot more stories about that particular guy I need to write down someday.
    Best,

Glad I could help Mark.

As I like to say I have a mind like a steel trap......Rusty & illegal in 28 States...

More stories about that fella would be great...As long as the statute of limitations is up.......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thieves are lazy make things hard for them. Don't leave snow-go's or 4-wheelers usable take the CDI's off and hide them. Same with generators and chainsaws take recoil starts, CDI's, & wheels off and stash them. Take the bar and chain from your chainsaw take them off and hide them to. Take batteries off anything with an elect start. The harder you make things for a thief the more likely he will go for easier pickings.
    Chuck

Well concealed hidden compartments are handy.

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Thieves are lazy make things hard for them. Don't leave snow-go's or 4-wheelers usable take the CDI's off and hide them. Same with generators and chainsaws take recoil starts, CDI's, & wheels off and stash them. Take the bar and chain from your chainsaw take them off and hide them to. Take batteries off anything with an elect start. The harder you make things for a thief the more likely he will go for easier pickings.
    But they are like house inspectors. They are going to "find" something, so why not make it real easy for them to find "something" you want them to take. Like an old worn out chain saw, lantern, leaky fuel cans, etc that you wanted hauled out anyway. For house inspectors, you always do something for them to find that is a very easy fix after they do their write up. I have had more problems with a location where there are local riverrat residents near by, as opposed to another location that I have where it is almost exclusively day users or weekenders. Just the opposite of what I originally expected.

After some sleazoid hit my wife's truck for a 5-gallon gerry can of fuel years ago, I took to leaving a similar can in the back of her truck, but with 7-10 lbs. of sugar dissolved in the fuel.

I figured that one day I'd see a vehicle near my home (within 20 miles, anyway) with a seized motor, and have the opportunity to inquire with less-than-sincere empathy, to the affect of "Gee, what seems to be the problem?"

Alas, I was never permitted that satisfaction..

If you -DO- choose to employ that particular technique in seeking karmic justice, make certain that ALL of your close friends and family are aware of what's in it. If that sorta' plan back-fired, it would carry a lot of misery with it. And it'd likely leave a lot of egg on one's face..

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    After some sleazoid hit my wife's truck for a 5-gallon gerry can of fuel years ago, I took to leaving a similar can in the back of her truck, but with 7-10 lbs. of sugar dissolved in the fuel.

I figured that one day I'd see a vehicle near my home (within 20 miles, anyway) with a seized motor, and have the opportunity to inquire with less-than-sincere empathy, to the affect of "Gee, what seems to be the problem?"

Alas, I was never permitted that satisfaction..

If you -DO- choose to employ that particular technique in seeking karmic justice, make certain that ALL of your close friends and family are aware of what's in it. If that sorta' plan back-fired, it would carry a lot of misery with it. And it'd likely leave a lot of egg on one's face..

This plan of action might be OK in town, but I would not do it for around a cabin or remote location. Every time that I have had gas or diesel used from the cabin, is because someone needed it, badly. But I can easily see how it might work in downtown Fairbanks.

Default GAS

You can have the gas just bring the can back, I'm gonna need that. Most of my local friends wouldn't think twice about taking a five gallon can of gas; They would also return it at the first opportunity. They would be cautious however I also have a diesel truck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast