Thread: Just got back

Default Just got back

I just returned from my hunt out the Rex trail. I went in on snowmachine and had a fantastic hunt. I saw a couple bulls out in the area where I had a tag and finally was able to take my first ever moose, and first animal ever with a muzzleloader. The bull was a nice young bull with 33 inch horns and 2 brow tines on each side. He will make many fine meals for my family this winter. I have attached a couple pics of the moose...I think since this is the first time I have tried to post a picture.

Attached Images Attached Images

Cool! Congratulations. Would be interested in hearing what kind of muzzleloader and powder/bullet you were using and the performance of said combo. Obviously the end result was great

Congrats, nice young bull. Will make for some good table fare. What was the distance of the shot and how far did he go after the shot. Where did you hit him? I recall you asking for load information a few weeks ago and am wondering what you finally decided. What was the load data? Thanks for posting the photo's.

Eagle River

Wow thats awesome. Im green with envy! Nice Moose. I just put in for permits for that area next year. Not for the special muzzleloader season, but I will be using a muzzleloader.
    Again nice and Where are the details???

Default Hunt details

I was shooting a 50 caliber T/C Omega using a 370 grain maxiball with 85 grains of pyrodex powder. I found the moose along the edge of a large field with dense spruce nearby. The range was right at 100 yards, and the moose was standing broadside to me. I was having difficulty seeing the animal through my binoculars because they kept fogging up and the sun was starting to go down so there was the reflections of the sun in my face also. At first I couldn't even tell he had horns until he turned his head just right. I got the shot all lined up and pulled the trigger. The moose ran forward then turned and ran back into the dense spruce. I drove the snowmachine up to where I shot at the moose and found an easy to follow blood trail. I reloaded my muzzleloader and headed into the woods after the moose. I could only see 20 to 30 feet at any given time. The moose had laid down, but had his head up so I circled around until I could get a shot at him from about 25 feet. The only shot I had was right at his neck, so I lined up and pulled the trigger and the moose flopped over onto his back and kicked a few times and went still. I watched him for a couple minutes and then went out to the snow machine, called home and had a friend start heading out to help get the moose hauled back to the truck since I was alone on this day. I realized the light was quickly fading and wanted to get a couple pictures so I grabbed my camera and went back into the woods. Imagine my surprise when the moose had his head up and was looking at me when I walked in!!! I'm thinking to myself what in the world is going on???? SO I head back out get my muzzleloader, reload it, grab my knife and head back into the moose. He is still sitting in the same spot looking at me so I again shoot him in the neck because that is the only shot I havr through the dense trees. He again flops over onto his back and kicks a couple times and goes still. I reload, go up and poke him with my rifle and verify that he is dead. Just to make sure, I cut his juglar vein because I do not want him getting up again. I snap a few photos and start field dressing him out. I finally figured out why my first shot had not killed the moose. I had not seen a few willow bushes about 10 feet in front of where the moose was standing and got a deflection off these and hit the moose right in front of the hind quarters. The bullet passed completely through. On the first neck shot, I had missed the spine and the juglar vein and probably only knocked the moose out. The second shot hit the spine and killed him. This may have been the first moose I have shot, but I have helped field dress quite a few so I did this without any problems except it was dark and I had one light. I fired up my single burner propane stove to keep my hands warm while I was working. I detached the hind quarters and hauled them out to my snowmachine on a smaller sled and started heading down the trail hoping to find my helper who I had called 2 hours earlier. long story short, I met up with my friend, rolled the front 2/3 of the moose into his sled and pulled it back to the truck only to find I had a flat tire on my trailer. I ended up getting into bed around 1 am and had to work the next day. It was a great hunt, but quite a job harvesting my first moose.

Thanks for the rest of the story.
    Bullet defection is very critical with muzzleloading type bullets, possibly because they are traveling so slow.
    I shot at an elk once and completely missed due to a deflected shot. I hit a small vertical pine tree and the elk was standing 5 yards behind it. I found where the .54 cal, 310 grain bullet hit a log off to the side down range about twenty-five yards.
    It's no surprise to hear that the impact point was off on your moose.
    You asked about bullet energy/ Kinetic Energy prior to your hunt, check out these links, they might help you out.
    As a rule of thumb, I like to have at least 1000 foot pounds of Kinetic Energy at the point of impact when shooting large game. There's a couple quick formulas to determine Kinetic Energy. I check mine at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards, most fall below 1000 pounds between 100 to 125 yards.
    A well placed shot into the heart lung area gets the job done every time.

Hope this helps, Forestman

Thanks for the info. I agree a heart/lung shot would have been ideal, but was unable to get this shot during my hunt.