Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Fans- Kwikfish

Default Kenai Fans- Kwikfish

Ok, I know fishiNphysician just did a post on Kenai River fishing holes but I have to ask. How many of you name your kwikfish? Maybe it's just me and my buddies but there are five different ones we have named and talk on the phone without describing colors in public. Besides it's easier than saying you know the one with the orange dots and the chartreuse bill with the ........ Yeah, you get it. Between all of us we have hundreds of different kwikfish but these have worked the best in the last five years or so since the naming started. They are as listed....

First and second to have names were the Rodman and Clown. Stinger, Crazy Craynium and Mud Wonder have been added just in the last couple/three years..... Sorry I can't describe them in color for I might be hunted down and brutally beaten.

Maybe were all just weird but I heard some guys in Ken's Tackle this summer talking about picking up a Rodman. Kind of caught me off guard, so I watched and sure enough they grabbed a Rodman off the wall. I thought it was hilarious. Maybe some word got around. My wife always said we were the only ones sick enough with fishing on the brain to have names for the goofy looking lures.

Dude....

What good are the names without describing the colors?

C'mon... spill the beans!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

We have named tons of flatfish colours in our laker lodge.
    Names like Rodney, Michael Jackson, Strawberry Shortcake, Coho, Old Faithfull, Clown, Skunk..........That's all I can think of right now.

Wow Johnscd, that is a rough teaser. You got to come clean on the decoder ring.

OK, here's my list of all-stars ( some are stock LJ names):

Old Faithful
    Measles
    Purple Peril
    Green Machine
    Grinch
    Cheese Measles
    eyeFISH
    Funky Chicken
    Blue Magoo
    Tammy Fae
    Fickle Pickle
    Baby Got Back
    Dope On A Rope
    UnaBomber
    Agent Orange
    AC/DC
    SeaHawk
    Mailman
    Clown
    Glad Clown
    Willie's Secret
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Wow Johnscd, that is a rough teaser. You got to come clean on the decoder ring.
    Sorry. No can do.......... I'm not kidding, it could be life threatening!!!

Default Don't forget...

In addition to many of the others... Try Charles Manson... serial killer...

Default OK... I'll spill

Old Faithful aka Lemon Head... chrome with chartreuse bill. Simple design that has probably caught more river kings up and down the west coat than ALL the other colors combined.

Measles... Nickel Fire Dot per LJ. Another simple design that has consistently put a ton of kings, silvers and humpies in my boat over the years.

Chinese Measles
    ... just like a Reeses, the best of both worlds by combining the Old Faithful and Measles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The KeenEye MD

Purple Peril.... Gay Boy per LJ. Chrome base 2-tone purple/cerise hot-tail, 2-tone purple/cerise tiger stripes.
    The KeenEye MD

Default Here are a few

From Bottom left across.
    Neon Tiger
    electric cactus
    party ballon
    Dalmation
    Lady Butg
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Green Machine... Metallic chartreuse base, fluo green scales and fluo green back stripe.

eyeFISH (yeah, that's what it's also called per LJ).... add a 2-tone chartreuse/fluo green hot tail to the Green Machine. ( I also added black tiger stripes to mine for add'l contrast)
    The KeenEye MD

Default More green and chartreuse....

but this time on a chrome base.

The Grinch... classic LJ color scheme. Design is just like the Gay Boy but with 2-tone green/chartreuse instead of purple/cerise.

Cheese Measles aka Ifish.net 2004 per LJ. A more intricate layout of the same king-catching colors. Chrome base, 2-tone bill and tail, 2-tone puddle dots. DEADLY!
    The KeenEye MD

Funky Chicken (that's the stock LJ name). Metallic purple base, chartreuse hot-tail and tiger stripes, cerise belly stripe.

Blue Magoo
    ( also a stock LJ name). Similar to above but with a metallic blue base and fluo orange belly stripe.
    The KeenEye MD

Tammy Fae... Metallic blue base, chartreuse bill and tail, 2-tone chartreuse on pink puddle dots. There's something about metallic blue and BRIGHT fish!
    The KeenEye MD

Fickle Pickle (stock LJ name) Metallic chartreuse base, chartreuse butt and tiger stripes.

Baby Got Back
    ... just like the Fickle Pickle except with a solid black butt. Big fish can't resist when she shakes that thang!
    The KeenEye MD

captain America!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Bright Pink Mad Clown was one of the biggest all stars I had this year in a K15, close second was Old stand by CHartruese /Chrome Doubel Trouble.... and Thrid was a recent all start that runed on late a black bill metatllic chartruese faded chrome combo.

Is it true that Luhr Jensen won't be offering custom colors anymore? What does this mean to Trustworthy Hardware (home of the 55 custom colors)? I hope this is an internet rumor or I'm kicking myself for not buying more kwikfish this past summer.

FANCY PANTS aka Gay Boy

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Is it true that Luhr Jensen won't be offering custom colors anymore?
    It's NOT a rumor. The custom shop is closing its doors. This will be the last year for the Ifish.net Custom Kwik Contest as well.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....&postcount=162
    The KeenEye MD

Default Great names!!!

Fishnphysician- I don't know how you keep track of all of those!!!!! Great names by the way!!!

Chinese Measles- I have a few of those in my arsenal with many teeth marks in them. They seem to work better on the Kenai as a K-15.

Old Faithful- I like that name.... Been just calling it The Kwikfish since it is the original. I have always kind of looked at it as an underdog sometimes it pulls a fish from left field when I least expect it. Early July this summer I had a friend from Iowa on the boat and we had been fishing all day. I mean a good 14hrs on the river with one missed take down. I was starting to feels sick to my stomach I wanted him to catch a fish so bad. We had fished the river hard from sunken island to the bridge and I couldn't catch a fish for the life of me that day. Just one of those days. I made a run up above Eagle Rock at about 10:45pm (was going home after this one) and decided to back troll just above the dragger's. I handed Old Faithful to my buddy told him to try it. He was the first one down in the group....... Less than a minute BAM, BAM, BAM, rod went down like a freight train hit it. After a considerably long fight he landed it... Even 60lbs, fish of a lifetime for him!!!! He is pictured with the fish......

I think I'll start calling it Old Faithful I like that name...By the way, it was a hot kwik this summer. Don't think I'll just be pulling it from left field anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast