Thread: Trail Maps?

Default Trail Maps?

What on line or hard copy trail map sources do you like?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Maps you ask?

I make my own...with my GPS loaded with "map spotted" waypoints from Google Earth, paper plotted using National Geographic TOPO and then field checked.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Agree about checking maps against google earth. Personal experience showed google very accurate to my gps for finding trails visible on the google.

OK no offence meant here but are you telling me you head out without a map and then biuld one while on the trail? That's a ton of faith in the GPS batteries! I have the national Geo grid map collection and it doesn't show most of the trails and the ones it dose show have often changed. The states site only lists 3 trails for all of south central and most of the others are either useless or pay to use.

Doesn't anyone get maps ahead of time and develop a trip plan?

You guy just drive around till you spot a trail then head out and hope your on public land? Just asking for a source of maps not directions to your favorite spot in Alaska.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I am totally unaware of any good true source of GPS maps for public trails in Alaska. There are small sections of trails mapped in the Mat-Su Borough and Eureka, but that's about it that I have found.

Doesn't anyone get maps ahead of time and develop a trip plan?

You guy just drive around till you spot a trail then head out and hope your on public land?
    Nope, no real trip plans. I usually make my own trail. I tell my wife the general area I am heading to, but we usually are just out exploring and playing.

WTC puts out a pretty extensive trail map of the Willow area, you can get it at a lot of the businesses in the area, as well as the Yamaha dealer in Big Lake, and the Polaris/Arctic Cat guys in E.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    You guy just drive around till you spot a trail then head out and hope your on public land? Just asking for a source of maps not directions to your favorite spot in Alaska.
    We do most of our trail riding in the Willow area and for the most part the trails are very well marked and taken care of. See Trail Boss's weekly report, they do a great job out there.

I really haven't ridden anywhere in the Valley area that required a map.
    I do keep my GPS on me at all times. Comes in handy at the end of the day when we are looking for the fastest way back to the Cabin for some "refreshments".

Thanks guys geuss I need to just get out and ride. Anyone else notice.....it's snowing!!!
    BHA Member

Default If I had a dollar...

for every time I was stopped on the trail and asked "where am I? or How do I get back to...?" I could fill both gas tanks...with premium!

It could be that those that are clueless as to their current location or their desired destination can see the maps I'm packing in the windshield of my sled.

I plot double-sided sheets covering about 48 sq. miles/sheet. If you stop me on the trail cause you've lost your way I have 9 or so such sheets just for the Big Lake-Willow Playground alone, so I'd be able to tell you where to go.

By map spotting and/or ground truthing I've built a "picket fence" of waypoints . We travel with 2 Garmins both loaded w/ 200+/- waypoints...the fence, intersections of any trail we've come across, whether we've used it or not...the exits off the lakes in NLSP and spots in the middle of the nowhere just in case we end up there and we have a burning desire to know where there is.

The paper maps are handy cause they have all the up-dated waypoints plotted, too. Paper burns, too!

As for trusting batteries...I don't...so I have equiped both sleds with a dedicated custom coaxial "M" size 12VDC plug to power the GPS. I also carry spare batteries...they're small.

One other thing about the maps...they're printed with the Lats/Lons in decimal minutes in the margins. I've found that's easier to interpolate my position on the map with the coords in decimal minutes from the GPS, which is in NAD83/WGS84 datum. Last I checked, Quads maps from the Gubermint are printed with NAD27 coords. It's important not to mix the two. There is a 200 to 400 ft difference between the two systems. Not much in the daylight...however in the fog, at night...about as much fun as a root canal.

I also carry a compass set to the correct declination as back up when all else fails.

Now go pray for snow.
    Natural Selection begins with you!