Thread: peterstorm

Default peterstorm

Does anyone have experience with Peter Storm rain gear? I have heard many times that it was the best stuff out there--stretchy and quiet---but is it tough? Wonder how it would fair in devil's club? From what I know, there are two types: the nylon stuff and the stretchy stuff (called no sweat). I tried unsuccessfully for years to get it, and I heard that it is available again. I am aware that Helly Hanson copied Peter Storm but have also heard that the H.H. is not as good. If you have ever owned/worn Peter Storm, I would love to hear your opinion.

I have had a stretchy peter storm for 13 years. It has outlasted quite a few helly hensens. The helly hensens seemed to rot around the cuffs. I thought helly hensen bought peter storm. I did rip a hole in mine on a nail so devils club may be an issue.

Eagle River, AK

devils club will put holes in most rain gear, unless you have really heavy stuff, that is heavy and won't breath at all, and not something you'd be taking on a mountain hunt. having duct tape on you helps as you can tape any hole that you get in the field, on the inside and outside. i'm a fan of the lightest rain gear possible and dressing in layers. a very heavy jacket might be needed when it isn't that cold outside and you'll sweat a hole lot more. some folks believe in materials that are near not-breathable for the best rain protection, that just makes you wet inside from sweat. something that is "semi-breathable" and has pit zips will be best. eVent fabric is one of the most breathable materials, much better then gortex.

i have never heard of peter storm wear, i just went to the website and there are drawings of their products, no pictures. from a marketing standpoint in the age of the internet, i don't know how they think they can get away with 'old school' catalog drawings of products instead of real pictures. they must be good jackets that word of mouth sells them.