Thread: Somewhere with liquid water

Default Somewhere with liquid water

I didn't get to fish much this summer due to work and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a warm spot to go fish this winter. Im open to just about anything, South America, New Zealand, Australia? I really want to go fly fishing. What can you recommend?

Try the flordia keys. Great bone and tarpon fishing and the travel there is much easier. With the money saved from not going abroad you can even go 1st class. I love it down there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Having lived there for a few years, I would definately recommend not going to the Keys. Unless you are fishing the tarpon tournament, it's not the place to be. Big pelagics are banging right now in Costa Rica. Head to the Pacific Coast. My best friend is in Quepos right now and he's slamming marlin and yellowfin all day, every day of his trip.

If you want some bonefishing, Belize is the spot right now. There are still enough where you can see them swimming in big circles.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Hey fish. Thanks for the help for the member. I was there last year and had a great time but was only there for 3 days. Tarpon was a bit out out of my league (hooked one) but i had a blast bone fishing and thought i did well. I was happy. So do you have link to a site about bone fishing in Belize. You have peaked both the wife and I's interest. We are looking at heading there next winter. Any thoughts or links would be appreciated.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I've heard great things about Christmas Island. It's an Austrailian island off the coast of Java in the Indian Ocean. Howie, at Alaska Fly Shop in Fairbanks used to speak highly of it. I also know a couple other guys who have gone and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I haven't been there so I can't give any details, but if I were looking at a winter warm water destination, it would make my short list.

There are a number of folks who book through Turneffe Flats Lodge. It's the best place to stay and fish from IMHO unless you need something really snazzy.

I've spent a few weeks here. It's THE spot if you enjoy diving and fishing, or have ever thought about diving. My wife and I used Guanaja as a retreat a few times a year before we moved back to AK and started having kids. It's as close to heaven on Earth as I've found.

I've only been to Belize with friends, typically going primarily to track fish and consume large amounts of Flor de Cana 20 Anos. <Good Rum!<

For taking the Mrs., and if you want to dive/snorkel, Guanaja is the place that I enjoy.

I'd like to go check out some stuff in the Indian Ocean, but Central America has the best fishing that I've seen. If you can swing into Nicaragua or Costa and hit the Pacific side, the Marlin, Tuna, and Sailfish are to die for.

you can't beat salt water flats fly fishing in middle america. belize is still a hot spot, but nicaragua has been discovered as well and suppose to be spectacular. having flats fished a few times i can say that it is the ultimate fishing experience. it's kind of a mix of hunting and fishing with beautiful scenery, wildlife, and weather. the fish on the flats are athletic and even the little guys are a blast. after fly fishing the flats of the keys, i now classify the time in my life into two categories - the time i spent fishing the flats, and the time waiting for my next trip to fish the flats.
    I would goto belize, nicaragua, or if you have an infinite budget goto the seychelles w/o question.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Belize....
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

powder, where do you go in Belize when you are down there?

Default Belize

Anyone know if you can get to Belize on AK air partners? I feel the need to get a sunburn, and a big grin stretch across my face as the first bone fish runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    powder, where do you go in Belize when you are down there?
    never been there but when I have a real job with money to spend that'll be the first place I go...

I imagine you can get to it pretty easy via cancun which AK air flies to right?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Delta routes out of Houston for flights to Belize City. I usually flew to Honduras, then hopped down. I love the Caribbean side of Honduras, especially the islands (Roatan, Utila, Guanaja).

FYI giving advice about Central America without having been there is kinda bad form unless it's mentioned that you haven't been. Some parts of Central America are still fairly rough. There are parts of Nicaragua (Pacific Coast) that have great fishing and are inexpensive, but you have to speak fluent Spanish (or have someone in your party who does) and can't be afraid to be around angry people with guns. I've had run-ins with punks in Honduras and Panama. The tourist roads are usually fine, but getting off the path sometimes leads to "interesting" encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Anyone know if you can get to Belize on AK air partners? I feel the need to get a sunburn, and a big grin stretch across my face as the first bone fish runs.
    Delta and American can both get ya to Belize City (BZE). Whoever you book through would probably be the best bet for transfers unless you have an adventurous side.