Thread: LED light test

Default LED light test

I am doing a test to see how long a new battery will last powering 3 LED lights here is a discription of the lights 150 Lumen output. 45W Incandescent equivalent. 2.5 Watt power consumption. 300mA current consumption. White 6000K. 30,000 hour life. E27 base. 12V AC/DC. 2.4" diameter x 4.75" height. Super SMD Bright LED Light. Aluminum, Zinc metal alloy heat sink. The battery is a 12v deep cycle wal-mart special 125 amp hours. so far 18 hours and going strong. Will keep updating.

Default Lights

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    I am doing a test to see how long a new battery will last powering 3 LED lights here is a discription of the lights 150 Lumen output. 45W Incandescent equivalent. 2.5 Watt power consumption. 300mA current consumption. White 6000K. 30,000 hour life. E27 base. 12V AC/DC. 2.4" diameter x 4.75" height. Super SMD Bright LED Light. Aluminum, Zinc metal alloy heat sink. The battery is a 12v deep cycle wal-mart special 125 amp hours. so far 18 hours and going strong. Will keep updating.
    I assume the battery is a 31 series, marine version.
    What is the optimal cut off voltage of this test ? These bulbs will run for a lonnnnnng time on that battery. But the battery will be dead when it reaches 12 volts; For any practical application where a battery would be required. It will start to degrade the batterys life itself at a voltage somewhere under 12.3 volts. At 12.3 volts this battery might or might not crank a 50 hp outboard, depending on how long it takes .This battery will power these bulbs until the LED's reach a cut-off voltage; maybe in the 11 volt range.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

If I hadn't been thinking all day I could come up with the formula for ya, but drawing a blank right now.

I did this for a mobile hunting camp trailer one time...awesome setup...I could keep lights going 24 hours a day with a small solar panel.

You can buy a 15 Cluster LED Area light for tents and cabins for under $20. It runs 20 hours on a single D Cell Flashlight Battery.

Keeps on ticking 25 hours now. This batery was off the shelf and did not check the voltage. The lights are as bright as when i started. Will check the voltage when done with charging the 6x6.

Voltage at 24:40 hours of use is 12.5 volts. This 3 light setup will go over the table in the cabin. There are propane lights in place now but as we all know propane lights have issues of there own. I want to find out the issues that are involved with LED/battery system.Like the charge time with a 15 Amp charger. a 40 amp charger.How much gas it takes to run a Honda eu2000 to charge the battery. I am a newbe to off grid and willing to take in all advice.

Battery still at 12.5 volts @ 37 hours of use.

As was mentioned ealier by another poster, don't let the deep cycle battery go below fifty percent, or you will shorten the life of the battery big time. It sulfates the plates and pulse charging a sulfated battery is only marginally successful. If you are serious about living off the grid and using batteries, I suggest you go with two six volt Trojan 105's and hooking them up in series. WAY MORE available amp hours for what you are attempting to use the batteries for. RV'ers know this and it is the standard by which all seem to get to, when they are discussing how long they can dry camp with the batteries in their coaches.

Default Battery

Where is your battery located, inside or outside? If it's in a cold area it's capacity to power and charge will be lessened. It will also freeze and be damaged when it looses it's charge; if it is outside or gets to maybe 20*.
    Most people put a battery in the warmth of the cabin to resolve these issues. Unless it's an AGM (not mentioned) you might smell a slight gas when it charges. Not sure what kind of chargers you have just the amperage. The chargers will charge the battery back up to about 85-90% pretty rapidly but the remaining voltage will be slower to add, requireing the time to completely charge to approx. double. The 2000 Honda is about peaked out at a 40 amp charge rate.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Default Thanks for the advice

Just checked the battery and it shows 12.3 volts. This is about 48hrs. Charger read 70% Turned the lights off and started charging with the 15 amp charger.The 6 volt battery system is what we will go to but for the mean time we will use the 3 12volt batteries.

Default Good deal

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Just checked the battery and it shows 12.3 volts. This is about 48hrs. Charger read 70% Turned the lights off and started charging with the 15 amp charger.The 6 volt battery system is what we will go to but for the mean time we will use the 3 12volt batteries.
    Did you bother to check your recharge time? Knowing how long to recharge is important too.

Recharge time with the 15 amp charger, i kinda failed on that. Put the charger on at 19:00 and woke up at 02:00 and it said 100%.So at the most it took 7hrs. Probally about a 1/2 gallon of gas, though i did not use the generator. Looks like i will order 4 more lights and a remote control on/off. Not sure what kind of remote but this one looks good. http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/p...t=31692&rdf=go