Thread: Smokeless Muzzleloading?

Default Smokeless Muzzleloading?

Is anyone using a Smokeless muzzleloader? (Savage 10ML-II - Custom Rifle) If so, what powder and bullets are using and what results are you getting with them?

Exclamation heads up...

i see you are planning to move up here... i am pretty sure that smokeless muzzleloaders are not legal in "muzzleloader only" hunts up here.
    you could certainly use one in any rifle season, but there would sure be no advantage...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Yep he's right. Check the regs. But you can use pyrodex or 777 in a smokeless muzzleless gun I think.

I just checked on it. Thanks for the heads up even though I am bummed out as I love my smokeless

I was under the impression that the savage can only handle a few select loads that are printed with the owners manual. I could be wrong though.

Default Savage

I use a .50 Savage with smokeless powder on deer in lower 48.

Vihtavouri N110, 44.5 grains pushing Hornady SST/ML Sabots, 45/250 grain at 2368 fps. This is the velocity the manual list for N110, and my chronograph has registered exactly that.

The 250 grain SST's group under 3 inches for me at 100 yards. They work well, but all the rifle has killed is deer. Haven't shot anything larger.

I haven't tried any other powders in it, due to having plenty of N110 on hand. It is really nice to shoot it and not have to worry about immediately cleaning it!