Thread: Low cost finishes for inside of cabins

Default Low cost finishes for inside of cabins

I've got the cabin built, insulated and the vapor barrier installed. I'm looking for some ideas on low cost materials to finish it off. I have to haul everything in on snowmachine/trailer.

I don't like the idea of sheetrock becuase of the hauling in and then all the sheetrock dust etc.. while finishing it.

I've heard there is a shop out in the valley that mills birch and cottonwood into some T & G products. Never heard of using cottonwood, but I bet it is realatively inexpensive.

Any other resourceful ideas out there?

The BEGINNING of the road!

Default Depends on what "look" you are looking for.

And what your price range is.

For a low-cost finish, I think drywall is hard to beat. It is easier than you think to transport; sandwich between two steets of OSB and sling it together with tie-downs. You can load several pieces between the sheets and go.

Speaking of OSB, it is my least favorite, but probably the cheapest finishing solution out there. You can paint or finish naturally.

They still make finish Paneling and hardboard.

You could do it barnboard style or rabbetting siding style.

Tongue and groove would be my favorite, but I bet that is going to cost a little more.

Anchorage / Glennallen

My wife milled cottonwood on her woodmizer and we have used it for several projects. It is 'fuzzy' and hard to plane to a smooth finish. We made 2 X ? lumber for porch decking and really liked it. The ice and snow don't seem to build up on it like spruce so it's usually not quite so slick. I've run some 1 X ? through the planer and it looks nice on the interior. Because it stays a little 'fuzzy' we have not put any finish on. It's a light color and still looks nice. We used green and air dried, nothing through a kiln. It is DYNAMIC. In the winter with wood heat and dry air it shrinks, in the summer it swells back a bit. Always moving, but pretty wood none the less.

My personal favorite for it was to make shingles. Easy to work with and they stay light and pretty with no finish.

Boards are easiest to work with if they are green as they will twist and warp a bit as they dry.

Default Interior

You could always use the Board and Batten to cover the inside walls. It is easy to use and looks rustic. And all the boards don't have to be the same size and can be finished, stained or, painted to your taste.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

@ Seminary, Dubuque Ia

My brother did one with cedar shakes that looked great when it was clean but it did get dusty in a hurry.