Thread: Radar for PWS

Default Radar for PWS

I'm looking at putting a radar on my 26 ft boat. It is used out of Valdez. I've been looking at JRC 1500 - 2kW w/16nm range. Boatersworld has a great deal on the entire set-up (under $900). Seems like 16 miles is plenty of range to avoid things that go bump in the sound and even out to Knowles Head. Reviews I've read seem really good on this JRC unit. Do I need to step up to the 24nm unit? Any feedback on the JRC radars?

My experience is limited to a Raytheon 10XX unit installed on a 20' boat, and the small Furuno (1621?) on my 26' hewes. Seems that any sort of power and range is wasted on a smaller planing-hulled boat. A big trawler sits still enough and high enough to use that range. For "seeing" things within 2-3 NM, the small units work fine. Mine works fine for looking for boats or obstructions in the fog or night.

Default Radar

I have owned several Radar's over the last 20 years. I started with a Raytheon in the late 80's worked great. In 93 I had a new boat built and put at Furuno on it and it worked OK. I keep the Raytheon as a back up but the display went bad siting on the shelf. So I purchased a JRC 1000 to use as a back up while my Furuno was getting fixed. The JRC lasted 1 Season and I could not find any one to work on it so I threw it in the trash. My Furuno still worked but I purchased another Radar that was 3D and color to replace the Furuno it last about 3 years and broke.
    My problem with the radars if you put them on a boat that pounds the Radar Dome's do not hold up. My first Furuno had the swiping Type Antenna where all of the others where fixed antenna's. My boat that pounds has a Furuno LED type display and a dome antenna. It works good with no problems. My current boat I am running a Garmin Radar which is part of a navigation package and it really works great. I like having the GPS and Radar on the same display. But if I had to purchase just a stand alone radar I would go with the Furuno.

I have run Furuno, JRC and Garmin. The Furuno was nice and it seemed to be of nice quality. However, I REALLY like my Garmin GMR18. I have it on a 22' Hewes and it has held up just fine. I have it tied in to my plotter and it overlays the radar contacts on my plotter accurately.

If I were to buy another I would buy another Garmin hands down.

Default ordered the JRC

I ordered one of those JRC 1500's and a pedestal for the antenna. I was talking to some of the guys in the radar maint shop (mil) and they had an idea. Their suggestion for a boat radar that gets pounded is getting a 1/2" thick piece of rubber mat and putting it on top of the pedestal. Bolt the radome on top of it on the pedestal. That 1/2" of rubber can reduce the sharper jarring which is the real culprit. One of their ideas was the 1" blue foam but I don't know how that would hold up in the long term. I'll try the 1/2" rubber route to see how long the radar antenna lasts.
    Thanks for the feed back on radars.

Dang, went to have a look at this JRC 1500 but its no longer available on Boaters World.
    Such a great deal they all got bought!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    I'm looking at putting a radar on my 26 ft boat. It is used out of Valdez. I've been looking at JRC 1500 - 2kW w/16nm range. Boatersworld has a great deal on the entire set-up (under $900). Seems like 16 miles is plenty of range to avoid things that go bump in the sound and even out to Knowles Head. Reviews I've read seem really good on this JRC unit. Do I need to step up to the 24nm unit? Any feedback on the JRC radars?
    I have used radar on my 24 ft boat for the last 4 years, and I don't think I ever looked any farther than about 4 miles.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder