Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Trappers Code Of Ethics

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    "Whatever the trapper's situation may be if you can't check your traps on a "regular" basis get out of the game." I got the flu one time and couldn't run my line for a few extra days so should I " Get out of the game "? My snowmachine broke down one time and it took a few days to get it fixed so should I " Get out of the game "? etc. etc. etc. like I said talking loud and saying nothing..................
    I have to say, to their credit the guys I dealt with who left the wolves standing out on their lines for four days didn't get all defensive and make lots of lame excuses about why they might not have been able to check their line timely. They just thanked me and hustled out to do what they should have done two or three days earlier.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Well what would you consider an ethical run time? Which traps do you deem ethical? What dispatch method do you consider ethical? What excuse isn't lame, death? Why don't you work on changing the regs if they don't promote ethical behavior? How about some idea's instead of blah blah blah i'm the ethics police
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    Well what would you consider an ethical run time?
    All I can say is, personally, I wouldn't leave a wolf standing in a leg hold set for 4 days. Your sense of ethics may differ.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    All I can say is, personally, I wouldn't leave a wolf standing in a leg hold set for 4 days. Your sense of ethics may vary.

So you're impervious to situations which could impede your ability to check a line?

I Personally only use snares for wolf..................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

i check my traps every 4 to 5 days depending on my work schedule that week. i i set on a sunday and something steps in it on monday it could very easily be in the trap for 4 or 5 days before the next check. to some that is not a reasonable time but to me it is. if i have to leave for a couple week and i know ahead of time i pull the line ahead of time but if life catches me unaware ( illness, weather, breakdowns, having to work overtime) i may have to let the line sit for a few extra days until i can get to it.

All I can say is, personally, I wouldn't leave a wolf standing in a leg hold set for 4 days. Your sense of ethics may differ.
    Your comment implies a trapper "knows" an animal is in his set but leaves it anyway. With the average value of a wolf pelt, I doubt too many guys would leave the animal for 4 days if they knew it was there.
    Are you saying if you had a trapline with wolves you would check it more often than every 4 days?

I must say, Taiga, in all the time I've been aware of you on this forum, I can't remember one time you posted one of your hunts, trapping, etc. I have seen your posts in the shooting forum on occasion with helpful info. Since your contributing to this trapping thread, are you doing any trapping?

This thread is a good example of why there shouldn't be a trappers code of ethics.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Your comment implies a trapper "knows" an animal is in his set but leaves it anyway. With the average value of a wolf pelt, I doubt too many guys would leave the animal for 4 days if they knew it was there.
    Are you saying if you had a trapline with wolves you would check it more often than every 4 days?

I must say, Taiga, in all the time I've been aware of you on this forum, I can't remember one time you posted one of your hunts, trapping, etc. I have seen your posts in the shooting forum on occasion with helpful info. Since your contributing to this trapping thread, are you doing any trapping?

This thread is a good example of why there shouldn't be a trappers code of ethics.
    Lots of personal questions, MT... Is having an active trap line a prerequisite for contributing to this forum? I'm not a fan of leghold sets. If I were to use them, yes, I would run my line more frequently than every 4 days, but that's my preference; everybody has to answer to their own personal ethics. So, yes, it does rub me wrong to ride by some guys set with a caught wolf, knowing it has been there for the better part of a week. But as has been made quite clear to answer the recent question of ethics; it's a to each his own affair, and it's illegal to mess with another persons traps/trapped animals. To answer your other questions: Given that I now live in the same big city you do I'm not doing any trapping, save for perhaps snaring an occasional Hare for the pot. Hunting for me has always been about putting meat in the freezer, and not alot of pictures get taken. I certainly do enjoy the stories and photos of those who choose to regale us with tales of their grand adventures tho!

Supporting Member

As has been said more than once, ethics, like honesty and integrity, boils down to "personal" choices and actions. Fur is a valuable, renewable resource and I doubt any trapper worth his/her salt, wants less than full value for their efforts. Some folks can only run their lines on a weekly basis due to full time employment, while others have the luxury of running them more often. With today's modern traps (offset jaws, laminated jaws, shock springs, multiple in-line swivels, etc.) animals do not "suffer" as is often claimed by anti-trapping minded folks. Again, without knowing a particular trapper's circumstances, i would caution folks not to rush to condemnation. Until you walk a mile in another man's boots, you may not know that of which you speak.

the problem with this topic is the word ethics. ethics are different for different people and different situations. as an example i dont find it ethical to shoot an animal at 300+ yards (even though i can make the shot) some may feel different. there is even a show on tv all about taking big game at 500 600 700+ yards but to me that is not hunting. if i want to shoot that far ill do it at paper. with trapping some people might run there line 2 or 3 times a week and some only once are either of them unethical? to some yes to some no. even sometimes doing the same thing is ethical one time and not another time depending on the situation. i once shot a whitetail buck that i didnt have a tag for because it was badly injured (dieing). what i did was not legal (i called ohio dnr and told them what happened and why they investigated and no charges were pressed) but in my opinion it was ethical. if i see a trap with an animal in it for 4 (or even 7) days i walk away and dont touch it but if 13 or 14 days even though illegal it would be ethical to dispatch it (or at least call dnr).

Take exception if you must, Sir, but this plays both ways. Who are you to assume that I don't regularly run the same trails as the trapper, know the country as well as he, and know how long it had been since he ran that particular line? In both cases I referred to, I knew when the trails were last used, could tell how long the animals had been in those traps, and was easily able to find out who the trappers were (even though the lines were not signed by either trapper) and bring the animals to their attention. I can say unequivocally that nothing but sloth prevented the checking of these trap lines. I'm not by any means against trapping, but I also know from experience that virtuosity among the trapping community is in reality not nearly so high as some would claim it to be.
    So, let me get this straight. You saw a wolf in a foothold, you told the trapper and he/she did not go and dispatch it? Is that what you are saying? BTW, you don't have to mark your traplines with signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    So, let me get this straight. You saw a wolf in a foothold, you told the trapper and he/she did not go and dispatch it?
    Not what I said.

This is what I said:
    I have to say, to their credit the guys I dealt with who left the wolves standing out on their lines for four days didn't get all defensive and make lots of lame excuses about why they might not have been able to check their line timely. They just thanked me and hustled out to do what they should have done two or three days earlier.

Been doing this a long time and I know quite a few trappers, NEVER met one that checks with in 4 days. Like said, you can't predict when OR if a animal will be caught. I know several trappers with lines outside their front door that don't check in that short amount of time, especially wolves that usually only come around every few weeks at best. Not lazy, just not efficient...

Not what I said.

This is what I said:
    For someone who doesn't trap, you sure have a set of straight forward standards to follow even though you've never tested your standards to see if they can be met.

Until you put out a trapline that is meant to produce fur, your opinions are really null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    Until you put out a trapline that is meant to produce fur, your opinions are really null and void.
    Everyone has opinions, sir, and the fact that I no longer trap does not make my opinion any more or less valid than yours.

Some of us remember a time when if you trapped you trapped and if you had a day job you did your day job.Now days I think most do both and try to do their best in each area. A hundred years ago in Alaska with hundred mile lines and dogs two weeks could be normal for checking each trap and thats on the line full time.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Lots of personal questions, MT... Is having an active trap line a prerequisite for contributing to this forum?
    Since you voluntarily joined this thread, Taiga, I don't see how asking the 2 questions I did on your trapping timing and if your trapping as "personal". Those are questions routinely asked and discussed by trappers. It is certainly not a prerequisite to have an active trapline to contribute here. I'm not actively trapping this year either. However, if we choose to criticize or question, I'm sure most of us would prefer to see that come from one who has "been there, done that" so to speak.
    I'll get personal again..........do you have prior experience trapping/snaring wolves?

The second an animal is caught or killed in a trap/snare, the opportunity to get the quality fur the trapper wants decreases each minute that animal is there. Dead animals especially are prone to fur damage for various reasons. As each day passes the live animal comes closer to death and thus fur degrading. Live animals are more prone to being killed and eaten or damaged by other animals who either want to eat, or just kill, them. Wolves often kill and destroy other wolves in traps/snares.
    The flip side is each trapper has to balance his time/costs against the probability of having a catch, as well as returning each set to full working order after inclement weather. I doubt there is anyone on this forum who does not wish they could spend more time on their line.

I suspect that most of us are not taking pics to "regale" the forum with their "grand adventures" We just want something to help remember the times when age/health prevent us from continuing the activity we so enjoy. I have an idea of how old you are, Taiga. You might want to take a few more pics, even video, for when you come to the day you can no longer PLAY!
    Please consider sharing if you do get some good pics...........we all might learn something.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I have an idea of how old you are, Taiga. You might want to take a few more pics, even video, for when you come to the day you can no longer PLAY!
    Please consider sharing if you do get some good pics...........we all might learn something.
    And I will say you appeared much younger than you sound in print, although since I no longer work as a medic I'm long out of practice and don't put much effort into guessing ages anymore. I supposedly get to retire in a couple more years, and am looking forward to getting out of the city and being able to play again. Most of the photos I keep and cherish involve a certain woman's smile, and I'll keep them private. I'm not much good at documenting my adventures for educational/entertainment purposes, but I applaud and appreciate those who can and do. I suppose my camera will take video, but I have never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigram View Post
    My dilemma stems from being a hunter as our code of ethics states that: “they do not want to wound the animal or lose the animal to a slow death.”

The trapper’s code of ethics states to “trap in the most humane way possible” which to me is an oxymoron as how can you say that subjecting an animal to a slow death by hanging from a trap and dying over the course of several hours or several days is humane defies logic, but that is another discussion.

Given those two moral dilemmas, is knowing that someone has not checked their traps in a couple of weeks when the conditions have been favorable is it ever humane or ethical to release a live animal, or perhaps dispatch it, from a trap that you’ve come upon?
    You have another dilemma as a hunter:Meat is Murder to some so the way trapping is repulsive to you, so your hunting is repulsive to others.

"Trapping in the most humane way possible" escapes your logic because you choose to be ignorant of the multitude of traps and sets, many of which are lethal and, I will rationally argue, able to fit a very narrow definition of 'humane'.

To your original dilemma I would dispatch, either bloodlessly or at most with a 22, then hang an animal in a trap for 2 weeks. Releasing it would be outrageous.

How about this Big Ram: If you see a moose alive with a broken leg which a hunter shot 2 weeks ago what would you do and what should be thought of it? Or what should one do to a moose severely wounded by wolves, or one dying of disease or starvation?
    "they do not want to wound the animal or lose the animal to slow death"

wow gentleman, this is hideous! Some good posts, some really @#)$_*(#@$@ posts.

virtuosity....are you flipping kidding!?!??!??!?!?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12