Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Trappers Code Of Ethics

Default The Trappers Code Of Ethics

The Trappers' Code of Ethics
    A Trapper's Responsibility

1. Respect the other trapper's “grounds” — particularly brushed, maintained traplines with a history of use.

2. Check traps regularly.

3. Promote trapping methods that will reduce the possibility of catching nontarget animals.

4. Obtain landowners' permission before trapping on private property.

5. Know and use proper releasing and killing methods.

6. Develop set location methods to prevent losses.

7. Trap in the most humane way possible.

8. Dispose of animal carcasses properly.

9. Concentrate trapping in areas where animals are overabundant for the supporting habitat.

10. Promptly report the presence of diseased animals to wildlife authorities.

11. Assist landowners who are having problems with predators and other furbearers that have become a nuisance.

12. Support and help train new trappers in trapping ethics, methods and means, conservation, fur handling, and marketing.

13. Obey all trapping regulations, and support strict enforcement by reporting violations.

14. Support and promote sound furbearer management.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

*****sticky****** +1
    Last edited by ret25yo; 11-20-2008 at 14:08. Reason: rep added

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

ret, yup, David said he would sticky it when he gets a chance... Thank you!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Supporting Member

Default Trapper Ethics

Good reminder! Unfortunately, I think some of the trappers out there today can't read or have very poor comprehension. The good ones already know and follow this.

I have poor comprehension. Could someone please help?
    #2. How often do I need to check my traps to meet the definition of "regularly"?
    #5. What methods of "killing" are proper?
    #7. What ways of trapping are the "most humane"?
    #9. How do I find these areas of "overabundance"? How far from home is reasonable to travel to reach these areas? Can I trap areas where furbearers aren't "overabundant"?
    #14. What is "sound" furbearer management and how do I support it?

Thanks for any help.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I have poor comprehension. Could someone please help?
    #2. How often do I need to check my traps to meet the definition of "regularly"?
    #5. What methods of "killing" are proper?
    #7. What ways of trapping are the "most humane"?
    #9. How do I find these areas of "overabundance"? How far from home is reasonable to travel to reach these areas? Can I trap areas where furbearers aren't "overabundant"?
    #14. What is "sound" furbearer management and how do I support it?

Thanks for any help.
    Don't worry MT, you just need a little experience & time afield & it will become clear...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I'm not a trapper but have some "ethical" questions that maybe someone could answer: Is going two weeks without checking your traps considered regularly? If you come across a trap with a live animal in it what should you do?

In extreme circumstances 2 weeks isn't ideal and should be avoided if possible but when weather gets extreme your own personal safety should take the priority.
    If you find a live animal in a trap you leave it alone! Doing anything to it is illegal
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

My dilemma stems from being a hunter as our code of ethics states that: “they do not want to wound the animal or lose the animal to a slow death.”

The trapper’s code of ethics states to “trap in the most humane way possible” which to me is an oxymoron as how can you say that subjecting an animal to a slow death by hanging from a trap and dying over the course of several hours or several days is humane defies logic, but that is another discussion.

Given those two moral dilemmas, is knowing that someone has not checked their traps in a couple of weeks when the conditions have been favorable is it ever humane or ethical to release a live animal, or perhaps dispatch it, from a trap that you’ve come upon?

Quote Originally Posted by bigram View Post
    ...is knowing that someone has not checked their traps in a couple of weeks when the conditions have been favorable is it ever humane or ethical to release a live animal, or perhaps dispatch it, from a trap that you’ve come upon?
    Whether it is "humane or ethical" to release or dispatch an animal from a trap that doesn't belong to you is beside the point that it is illegal. I have on more than one occasion come upon a wolf in a leg hold trap where it was obvious the animal had been in the trap for several days...The best you can do, legally, is go home and tell the trapper to get his lazy ass out there and dispatch his animals.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Supporting Member

As an ethical and responsible trapper (and I think most of my fellow trappers fit that same description), i take exception to "...taiga's" comment about "tell the trapper to get his lazy ass out there and dispatch his animals.". Who are you to assume the trapper is lazy and brand him/her as such, when you have no idea of the frequency of the checks or circumstances surrounding a particular line. The majority of trappers are far from lazy and if you are a trapper and have experienced the amount of work that goes into a trapping season, then it is unfathomable to me how you could utter such a statement. Remember, "Judge not, lest ye be judged".

My dilemma stems from being a hunter as our code of ethics states that: “they do not want to wound the animal or lose the animal to a slow death.”

The trapper’s code of ethics states to “trap in the most humane way possible” which to me is an oxymoron as how can you say that subjecting an animal to a slow death by hanging from a trap and dying over the course of several hours or several days is humane defies logic, but that is another discussion.

Given those two moral dilemmas, is knowing that someone has not checked their traps in a couple of weeks when the conditions have been favorable is it ever humane or ethical to release a live animal, or perhaps dispatch it, from a trap that you’ve come upon?

Hours? Days? I suggest familiarizing yourself a bit more with trapping before stating stuff like this online. It's inaccurate and brings negative and unnecessary attention to what we do.

If you see someone else's trap, leave it alone. It's illegal to mess with it. If you spend a lot of time in that area, get to know the trapper. He may be there more often than you think and I'm sure he'd love to know something was in his trap. Talk to the trapper before you go to any drastic measures - as Spike said - you don't know his situation.

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    As an ethical and responsible trapper (and I think most of my fellow trappers fit that same description), i take exception to "...taiga's" comment about "tell the trapper to get his lazy ass out there and dispatch his animals.". Who are you to assume the trapper is lazy and brand him/her as such, when you have no idea of the frequency of the checks or circumstances surrounding a particular line. The majority of trappers are far from lazy and if you are a trapper and have experienced the amount of work that goes into a trapping season, then it is unfathomable to me how you could utter such a statement. Remember, "Judge not, lest ye be judged".
    Take exception if you must, Sir, but this plays both ways. Who are you to assume that I don't regularly run the same trails as the trapper, know the country as well as he, and know how long it had been since he ran that particular line? In both cases I referred to, I knew when the trails were last used, could tell how long the animals had been in those traps, and was easily able to find out who the trappers were (even though the lines were not signed by either trapper) and bring the animals to their attention. I can say unequivocally that nothing but sloth prevented the checking of these trap lines. I'm not by any means against trapping, but I also know from experience that virtuosity among the trapping community is in reality not nearly so high as some would claim it to be.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Hours? Days? I suggest familiarizing yourself a bit more with trapping before stating stuff like this online. It's inaccurate and brings negative and unnecessary attention to what we do.

If you see someone else's trap, leave it alone. It's illegal to mess with it. If you spend a lot of time in that area, get to know the trapper. He may be there more often than you think and I'm sure he'd love to know something was in his trap. Talk to the trapper before you go to any drastic measures - as Spike said - you don't know his situation.
    My comments were completely accuarate, as previously stated I was familiar with the area and know from the recent snowfall and tracks in the area to have a pretty good idea the last time someone was by there. Whatever the trapper's situation may be if you can't check your traps on a "regular" basis get out of the game.

All i can say is if it is not yours do not touch it. If you get caught dispatching the animal while the trapper shows up. I guarantee you will have a problem and it will not be a good one. As tempting as it may be it is better to avoid any legal problems. If it still bothers you when you get home you can always call the troopers and they will go and investigate and decide what is ethical trapping and what isn't.

My comments were completely accuarate, as previously stated I was familiar with the area and know from the recent snowfall and tracks in the area to have a pretty good idea the last time someone was by there. Whatever the trapper's situation may be if you can't check your traps on a "regular" basis get out of the game.

So have you spoken with the trapper to make sure his family hasn't had an emergency or he's out of the state for some unforeseen circumstance? Have you checked with local trapping associations to see if they may have more information about what's going on? Have you checked with troopers? Or, have you immediately assumed it's someone being irresponsible and gotten on here to vent, all the while bringing said attention and publicity? My point is that all of your concerns may be handled fairly easily if you'll just seek out the trapper and speak with him. No sense in getting worked up without first speaking to the person at whom you point your finger.

"but I also know from experience that virtuosity among the trapping community is in reality not nearly so high as some would claim it to be." Gee that could be said about hunting and fishing as well, I do love it though when some like to place themselves so high on the ethics scale but yet unable to prove just how super ethical they are......................I guess you could say talking loud and saying nothing.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

No, I get it, it's not mine to touch, I just wanted some insight into the mindset of trappers to see if extenuating circumstance ever prevailed. I think I got the message loud and clear.

"Whatever the trapper's situation may be if you can't check your traps on a "regular" basis get out of the game." I got the flu one time and couldn't run my line for a few extra days so should I " Get out of the game "? My snowmachine broke down one time and it took a few days to get it fixed so should I " Get out of the game "? etc. etc. etc. like I said talking loud and saying nothing..................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

No, I get it, it's not mine to touch, I just wanted some insight into the mindset of trappers to see if extenuating circumstance ever prevailed. I think I got the message loud and clear.

It's not a matter of an extenuating circumstance, it's illegal. My suggestion is to merely talk to the man before judging him, where's the harm in that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast