Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starflight engineered airfoil replaces vanes...

Default Starflight engineered airfoil replaces vanes...

for feathers - called Starrflight FOB, I think. AK145 has this on his signature line in another thread. Interesting idea, new to me. Wonder how well it works.

The Star Looks like it slips on to replace the arrows vanes or feathers.
    http://www.starrflight.com/

Anyone using this?

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

i have been using them for about a year now and they are very nice. easy to install, easy to tune, and easy to retune if something happens. I shot my bou last weekend with it up the haul and didnt have any problem with the cold affecting them. had a pass through and picked up the fob and it was good as new. they are worth a try at least i think. they are not that spendy either, like 20 or so.

A friend of mine shoots these and has been goading me into trying them. My only hold back is that I shoot the Trohy Taker drop away rest with the containment hoop and I think there may be a clearance issue. What kind of rest has anyone used with these?

Go to the Starrflight website, Paul has a section that lists most of the rest that work with the FOBS. I just bought a pack of these about a month ago and will be buying a QAD fallaway HD rest for it. If your military, they will send you a free pack along with your 1st order in appreciation for your service. Watch Marc Taylor's video of his moose kill, he was using the FOBS when he shot it and you can see it fall to the ground when the arrow strikes the bull, very cool stuff.

Default FOBtastic

The Starrflight website will explain just about any question you could have regarding FOBs...lots of videos and instruction and information. Tons of stuff on youtube as well including comparison tests regarding noise.

FOBs....making traditional fletching FOBsolete!

Question FOB's

Do they pop off the arrow when a pass through shot is made? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    Do they pop off the arrow when a pass through shot is made? Just curious...
    Yes they do.

Sounds like something interesting to try. Anyone carry them in Anchorge or do we have to order them?

Default Cooll Idea

6XL thanks for bringing it up and thanks to all for sharing info. New Toys cool!

Can the FOB be used with luminocks?

Default It's all AK145...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    6XL thanks for bringing it up and thanks to all for sharing info. New Toys cool!
    Hey, it's AK145's thing:

AK145

FOBtastic
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FOBs....making traditional fletching FOBsolete!

They have actually been out for a few years now, but are gaining in popularity.

Yes....they pop off when the arrow enters the animal leaving you an indication of where exactly the animal was standing when shot.

There are a few "disadvantages" if you can call them that.

1. You have to shoot a fall a way rest
    2. You have to get used to feeling the FOB against the side of your face when you shoot. Some use them as an anchor point though to get used to that.
    3. You can't group with them...that gets a bit expensive because you will start breaking them.

I think more people would be willing to try them out, but they are afraid of trying something new and getting away from the norm....regular fletching.

Search Youtube for Starrflight and there are a bunch of videos on there as well.

After having 4 of my arrows lose some of their fletching, I decided to give the FOBS a shot. I'm also going to carbon arrows after bending a couple of my aluminums while walking through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yes they can

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    They have actually been out for a few years now, but are gaining in popularity.

Yes....they pop off when the arrow enters the animal leaving you an indication of where exactly the animal was standing when shot.

There are a few "disadvantages" if you can call them that.

1. You have to shoot a fall a way rest
    2. You have to get used to feeling the FOB against the side of your face when you shoot. Some use them as an anchor point though to get used to that.
    3. You can't group with them...that gets a bit expensive because you will start breaking them.

I think more people would be willing to try them out, but they are afraid of trying something new and getting away from the norm....regular fletching.

Search Youtube for Starrflight and there are a bunch of videos on there as well.
    I would love to try them. but don't look forward to refitting my bow just to try...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I would love to try them. but don't look forward to refitting my bow just to try...
    What kind of rest are you shooting now?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    What kind of rest are you shooting now?
    Whisker bisquit... ( whew that was embarrassing i almost forgot what i had)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default FOB

I have been using them ever since they were introduced at a trade show in Arizona in I think it was 2003. I haven't used anything else since. They work great in all conditions. I have been using a TR Drop Zone rest with them. Like mentioned before you have to spread out your shots when practicing or it gets expensive to replace them. The only way I have ever broken one though is by putting other arrows through it. You will want to wrap/paint your shafts with a white or high vis color to aid in finding arrows and checking blood after a pass through since they do pop off when they hit hide.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Howdy All!

Great to hear the word is getting out! That video of Marc moose was something!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqTWgefdYz8

But the coolest way is to make your own

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MgZ1TuQy7A

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    A friend of mine shoots these and has been goading me into trying them. My only hold back is that I shoot the Trohy Taker drop away rest with the containment hoop and I think there may be a clearance issue. What kind of rest has anyone used with these?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQAHvpBDwCE

Man do I like You Tube and I have the best customers in the world! Most all You Tube videos are made by customers except a few on the home page of the web site (I am the hillbilly in the cowboy hat).

FYI-Anyone who makes a video on You Tube gets a free packs of FOBs.

If anyone has any questions I am here to help!

Best regards and good hunting,

Paul
    StarrFlight

Thumbs up Welcome

Glad you stopped in Paul and welcome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast