Thread: Wide track advice

Default Wide track advice

I am considering purchasing an AC Bearcat 4 stroke big pig. My question concerns open water. I have ridden open water on a mountain style machine but I am concerned about the performance of this heavy of a machine on water. I have heard snow machines compared to boats in that a lighter planing style machine will do well on water whereas the heavy displacement style machine will not. I have also been told that track speed is very important and the widetracks are geared for power and not speed. I assume momentum would carry one across narrow stretches, but what about 50 yards or even more?

Thanks in advance to the super aquaman snow machiners out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mstumpe View Post
    I am considering purchasing an AC Bearcat 4 stroke big pig. My question concerns open water. I have ridden open water on a mountain style machine but I am concerned about the performance of this heavy of a machine on water. I have heard snow machines compared to boats in that a lighter planing style machine will do well on water whereas the heavy displacement style machine will not. I have also been told that track speed is very important and the widetracks are geared for power and not speed. I assume momentum would carry one across narrow stretches, but what about 50 yards or even more?

Thanks in advance to the super aquaman snow machiners out there.
    I wonder about your judgment. Stay away form open water.
    Tim

Thumbs up They will !!

We Use Bearcats and Yamahas and give them the gas and they rip water!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    I wonder about your judgment. Stay away form open water.
    I wonder about a lot of people's judgement. Sometimes things just can't be avoided, as was the case when I last had to cross water. If I was out there skipping water all the time I would be an expert and wouldn't be asking this question. I don't have to have the huge wide track but I am considering it and some input on the capabilty will be used to decide purchase.

Thanks for caring, Mark.

I've done it with a Skandic SUV and would recommend some studs or screws in the track for control on the ice.

I have a polaris widetrack it,s been across some water pulling a sled to It was a night everybody stopped behind me,I thought was overflow.It wasn,t was over my head deep. needless to say they found a way around it. And i did not go back though it in the day lght on the way back! Didn,t look so bad a night,Ha, Just floor it,ajust speed on the way though, It,s the landing on the other side i worry about,smooth so you don,t catch your skies coming out of it.

Talking done it

I have had the expernice with a friend and his dog on the back of my swt skandic on the yentana and fish lake creek in april and I agree it's a rush but it's one of the things you need know about alaska. And some advice be real carefull with fast moving water back behind Mantaste lake theres a river called the slana that has an underground river that pops up and makes swift currant and ice bridges doon't fall in.