Thread: Husky saw problem

Default Husky saw problem

I have a husky saw and I ran into a problem after about an hour use. Basically I lost a bar nut and then threw a chain. I pulled the bar cover off and realigned the chain and got it set back up. Then
    I went to put the cover back on and I can't get the chain brake to slide back over the clutch. I thought I had it but the darn thing was locked tight and started smoking from the clutch? Any secret to getting the chain brake band to slide down over the clutch properly?

LuJon, not trying to be a smart ***** but did you put the chain brake lever into the run position? I just pulled my cover and put a new chain on my Husky 2 days ago and coundent get it to go back on till I pulled the lever back. It only took me an hour to figger it out by myself.

Gun Runner

I kept thinking that was it but I am sure that I have it right... Does your cover just slap right on? That is how they make is sound in the book but it sure doesn't seem to be working for me... I will put fresh eyes on it in the morning if I play with it anymore tonight it will probably result in more drywall repair work...

I know this isn't helpful, but I can't resist....

After reading your post, I believe that I have successfully troubleshot your problem. Look carefully at your saw. If I read your post correctly, it says "Husky" on the side. If it said "Stihl," you would probably be OK.

Sorry. I'll quit now.

Lujon,
    Swing by the wood-mizer shop on springer loop if you still have problems with the brake. Sometimes you have to use a screwwdriver to reset it when the cover is off. I have 6 Huskys for my land clearing company and the crews have learned to deal with it. Don't fight it or force it. turn the brake gear on the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Then I went to put the cover back on and I can't get the chain brake to slide back over the clutch. I thought I had it but the darn thing was locked tight and started smoking from the clutch? Any secret to getting the chain brake band to slide down over the clutch properly?
    You didn't mention what model you have but some husky's are more difficult to reset the chain brake band than others...especially when the chain cover is removed. You should hear a distinctive "click" when the band tension has been reset. At that point the chain cover should be easy to put in place and the clutch should spin freely. As Smoothmove mentioned don't force it because something isn't right.

I have the 455 rancher

Default Jon, did you get it working?

Jon, used to have a Rancher, have a newer Husky now. Sometimes when you lose one of the two nuts on the cover the whole cover will tweak while the chain is moving, allowing the drum to mess with the brake band inside the cover. Does it look okay inside there? When you move the chain-brake bar do you see the band loosening/tightening?

Gunrunner, good comment...I did the same thing once <grin>. Took me an hour too...sometimes these power tools make us feel mighty stupid, eh.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    After reading your post, I believe that I have successfully troubleshot your problem. Look carefully at your saw. If I read your post correctly, it says "Husky" on the side. If it said "Stihl," you would probably be OK.
    I could not agree more. I use to own a husky and always had problems with the bar brake untill I tore the #$&@ thing off. Now I own Stihl chainsaws ond only Stihl's, problem solved.

BWM
    "Spirituality is the ultimate survival skill. When one is primarily on a spiritual quest, the desire for material objects is effectively lessened. This can make an enormous difference to us in the coming trials since we stand a big chance of losing many of our goodies. We will be in states of shock and anguish. Yet if we learn to not mind losing them, there is no loss. Material goods are to Americans as alcohol is to a drunk. In both cases, losing the craving is a benefit." Mike Oehler

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791"

Wait a minute.....You're telling me someone else besides Stihl makes chain saws!!!! Wow, guess I haven't been too observant. Bought my 031 in 1976 and haven't had a need to replace it. (Knock on wood) My wife did break down and bought herself an 021 with the easy start. Sweeeeet!!!

If you have any desire to head up Talkeetna way, bring the saw up to me and I can show you a few things. We rent Husky saws in our store and have access to online ordering of parts without a huge shipping cost. I have a bag of bar nuts To not break forum rules..PM me for directions to my store.

I have a 455 Rancher. Mine ran very rich and fowled plugs. I double checked the oil mixing ratio and tried adjusting the mixture. It's still not right. Anyone else have this problem?....Louis

I've owned my 455 Rancher for about 2 years and have cut at least 16 cords with it so far. When I got it from the local home improvement superstore I had issues with it as well. Trouble starting, trouble staying running when hot. Oiler system failed after about 6 months. Took it to Rod's saw shop. They fixed it up and I have never had a problem since. Other than the initial troubles it's been a great saw.

I've heard horror stories about Husqy's technical support and warranty services; thus I decided just to take it to the local shop and pay to get it done right in a timely fashion.

Maybe the old huskys were better. I have a husky 181 that had alot of miles on it when I bought it 10 years ago, and I'll be suprised if I ever use it enough to need to replace it. No matter how long it's been sitting it'll fire after 2-3 pulls, and I still have the same plug in it when I got the saw. I did pick up a spare carb off of e-bay and some carb rebuild kits, but I'll still running the original carb.