Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test your moose antler spread knowledge.

Default Test your moose antler spread knowledge.

Hello again. Here is a good chance for all you folks to do some guessing.You have the live shot and then the at your feet shot.
    The first photo is the bull I found for my 14 year old to fill the freezer with. In this photo he has 72 or so hours to live. The bull moved about a half mile from Sunday to Wednesday, when the hunt started.
    The second is of the bull at your feet, with a happy 14 year old proud of the fact he is helping to feed the family.
    If your curious he used a Savage Model 99 in .308 with 180 grain bullets from about 65 yards away. Lung shot, the bull never took another step.
    I'd like to see how many folks have a good idea of spreads on moose, and thought this was as good as a chance to see as any. I'll be back in a few days and give it up.
    The third shot is of the three of us and the second bull we killed on the hunt.

The boy's bull is 57"-58"

Arrow

Yeah, I'd say around 58 also. Beautiful animal, good going...

Default bull

55 1/2 is my guess

Thumbs up Nice one!

56" would be me Guess.

54" and what a trophy! Nice job!

I'd say its a monster compared to my fork/3point. I'm guessing 49".

Looks like 55" to 58" to me. I thought that maybe 8" forehead, so: 24" at one side + 24" at the other side + 8" forehead = 56" or so.

So you and Joe are shooting moose that big and leaving the capes in the field? Man that is alot of college education money to throw away for a white boy..............haha!
    If the season started on thur. and I didn't see any racks that big around your house this year..........must be last years moose. If the distance between the horn bases is 10 in. then that bull your boy shot is at least 62.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

64". Nice bull.

57 1/2

Nice Bull.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I say 58"-60"

60"er
    nice!

Smile Nice Moose

I am still learning to judge the spread, but I would say between 62-63 inches on your son's bull. This is based on the ear spread of 22 inches. As far as your bull I would guess closer to 68 inches but hard to tell since the bull is laying down.

Imauspilot

I'm no expert on judging antler spread, but I feel like most people are over-estimating the size here. From the live-shot, I was thinking only 52 or so...but the close-up shot makes it seem a bit bigger, so I'll say 55".

-Brian

Default My guess

Well I guess Im off my rocker. I was going to say right at 50 or a shade under. But I guess thats why I count instead of guess. Wife says I dont estimate size right either.;-) It could be a 60 and by the time Id get to it once it was down the rack would shrink to 49 7/8. LOL

Default Imauspilot?

Dude your not supposed to judge the picture based on the laying down photo. We use tape measures for that. The point of this post was to judge the long distance photo. anybody can get close 5 feet from it. DEEEEDEDEEE!!!

Default hmmmm

I'll guess the spread at 54" Both a nice load of good meat.

When measuring antler spread on moose, I believe we get to choose the FARTHEST apart 2 points on the 2 antlers. So when you stretch a tape between a set of antlers, you can move it around to whichever 2 points give you the longest spread.
    In the close up picture, the large main time on the left palm looks to stick out the farthest on that side. But the large tine on the right palm actually curls in a little. The second time up on the R. palm sticks out the farthest.
    I didn't estimate, per se. I put a piece of paper up to my screen and marked off the distance between the 2 farthest apart tines and between the antler bases. Using some basic grade school math..........the antler base distance on paper was 16% of the spread. I then used 10 in. as the commen distance between antler bases. 10 in. is 16% of..............grade school math again(and a calculater)..........61.111111111111..........thus , I said 62.
    I have no idea, based on the angle of the shot, the spread on Joe's moose. I do know he has an awful lot of money laying around his house or yard, in moose antlers.
    So I cheated. I suck at guessing in the field. I just know big, and not so big.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Distance between antlers

I measured my 59.25 " moose and the distance between the antlers is 8 9/16. I would say this moose is some where around 57-58 inches. Anyway nice moose and full freezer.

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast