Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice fishing tips....post them HERE!

Default Ice fishing tips....post them HERE!

Ok, lets hear 'em! What are some of the 'secrets' that most folks don't know from water depth for various species to techniques and lures.

I had an old timer once that told me to keep my egg shells in a brown paper bag under the sink and bring them with me when we went fishing. I had no idea what they were for, but when we got to the shanty, he dumped a handful or two down each hole. The shells settled out nicely on the bottom and it made a WORLD of difference being able to see the fish swimming by!

What tips/tricks can you share??
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Sounds....

... like someone is missing the discussion board.

The best tips I can give anyone are:
    - wear warm boots;
    - keep your hooks sharp, and have a variety of lures/bait;
    - know the bathymetrics;
    - get there early;
    - be patient!

Thanks for the PM's guys, but I actually wanted this to be an informative thread for those who are just getting started in ice fishing (I already have my 'honey holes' and jigging is my preference for the whoppers! ).

I'm just looking for folks to post some info/tips that have come in handy that could be passed on.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

write down the water depth in the snow/water mix around the hole so you know how deep it is when you come back

Mark

I've heard that barometric pressure can be a factor. It can be best when a low comes in after a high, so after clear, cold weather and as it clouds up and even begins to snow, hit it.

Find the weedbeds that lay in deeper water for larger trout. I drill multiple holes along ledges and use my fish cam to find the areas with the best habitat and look for fish, once you locate an area that holds big fish mark it on your GPS Typically I have found they will hold in the same areas throughout the winter. I prefer a white foxie jig in the 2 inch variety for catching the bigger ones. I soak my jigs in garlic oil from the uncle mikes salmon eggs. It does make a difference. I have out fished my buddies 3 to 1 using the same type jigs and forget about that patients stuff. The days are short if you cant locate fish move to another location. Electronics and fish cameras are great tools for deeper water a decent fish cam will run you about $150.00 well worth the investment.. Good Luck

Around here (michigan) we build and use use chum cans, real easy to make, and puts the chum on the bottom, right under the hole. Attracts the fish well, and holds them right where your bait is. those that use them will outfish those that dont by 10 to 1.

I use small bait right off the bottom particularly on the ice. If you start to get cold go drill some more holes then move to try fishing them.

Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    Around here (michigan) we build and use use chum cans, real easy to make, and puts the chum on the bottom, right under the hole. Attracts the fish well, and holds them right where your bait is. those that use them will outfish those that dont by 10 to 1.
    For those of you that don't know what one is or looks like here is some info to get you started. I've been using them for years. They work really well for bringing in Whitefish and Burbot.
    You can chum with roe, cooked rice, oatmeal, shiners etc.
    Chumming with roe brings in the bows pretty well too.

http://www.greybruceoutdoors.com/magazine/build-chumcan.shtml

http://www.greybruceoutdoors.com/magazine/chumming-ice1.shtml

http://www.greybruceoutdoors.com/magazine/chumming-ice2.shtml

that chum can is a real nice one, the ones i make are made from a coffee can with a plastic lid.

put a eyebolt in the bottom of a coffee can. pour about an inch of melted lead in the bottom. drill small holes in the can, to let the water in, and the air out. cut small slits on the edge of the lid. put an eyebolt in the center of the lid, with big washers so the rope doesnt pull out. tie a rope to the eyebolt on the bottom, about 2.5 feet up the rope, tie the lid on. then leave enough rope to get as deep as you need. ant there it is.

The slits in the edge of the lid need to be big enough to allow the lid to pop off when you jerk the line, but hold tight enough to allow you to pick the chumcan up when it is full of chum.

lower the can through your hole, let it sink slowly to the bottom. then with a quick jerk or two, pop the lid off the can. lift real slowly the first few feet and the chum will spill out directly under your hole.

here is a lousy drawing of it.

I use elbow macaroni, rice, and salmon eggs for chum, works for whitefish, browns, and rainbow. use it about every 2 hours.

build it and they will come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great idea

I've used a chum bag for halibut, have dropped fish parts and eggs down the hole, but never a can. Will give it a try this weekend.

As for patience: You're welcome to underestimate it, but numerous times waiting in my ice house over the same hole has paid off with a big fish. It's kind of like moose hunting: some people like to move around, and it pays off; some sit and wait (and call), and it pays off.

Another good tip is to go over and ask fellow fishermen what is working for them- or the fish cop who checks your license (he usually knows).

Large White Kidney Beans work also, place a handfull down the hole and you can spot the fish alot easier.
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Snake bite medicine

I ALWAYS make sure to bring along some snake bite medicine, the stuff that tastes like peppermint, cause you never know when one of them snow snakes decides to sneak up and crawl inside the shanty with you. You got to be prepared!

Default Snake bite medicine is good!

I prefer the unflavored kind though. A good cigar or pipe is also a pleasure. A thermos of good strong coffee is a requirement.

Snake bite medicine? is this a joke?
    What would you use that for?

snake bit medicine=a good time no matter the situation. I have recently been trying a sponge rubber banded to a rock soaked in herring oil. dropp to the bottom and get ready for action. This is a killer for burbot and lakers.

Hmm, snake bite medicine = alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Hmm, snake bite medicine = alcohol

That would JD Model# 07

Thumbs up Like this tip; rep given!

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    snake bit medicine=a good time no matter the situation. I have recently been trying a sponge rubber banded to a rock soaked in herring oil. dropp to the bottom and get ready for action. This is a killer for burbot and lakers.
    I am going to try this, as it sounds very easy to do. I have some flat halibut weights that would work as well or better than a rock, I'll bet

One thing that would be helpfull is a 5 gallon bucket. It makes hauling gear eaisier and you can sit on it too.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast