Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice fishing around soldotna

Default Ice fishing around soldotna

I have been going out after work and catching a few fish in the 16-18in range but they are mostly in the 12 inch range. I am woundering if anyone had any tips for fishing at night it really seems to slow down and our glow in the dark stuff only works for a few min. Any advice would grately welcomed

Default That's the size they come in

Because nearly all the lakes in the Soldotna are planted, the rainbows generally range between 6-12" with a few bigger ones in the 14-18" range. I've seen a few big ones taken out of Longmere Lake, and a few from Spirit (Elephant). I don't know how much better you'd do in the dark, really.

If you want bigger fish, you'll have to do some traveling and maybe some hiking off the Swanson River Road lakes. If you're willing to work for larger fish they are there. I've also seen some nice rainbows and lakers taken from the end of Skilak when there's ice to be walked on. Tustumena has some, but it is hit and miss for rainbows, lakers and dollies. Island Lake has some good sized char that were brood stock in hatcheries, and finally, Stormy has some rainbows, char, and pike to be caught, but the char and rainbows aren't really that big in my experience. Hidden has some nice lakers, but you need to learn to fish them. Also those fish are getting a lot of pressure lately and the limit is now one per day.

Lots of lakes have land-locked silvers if you're into catching lots of little fish. I don't like the taste, but they do pickle well.

Bear in mind that many of these lakes don't have naturally occuring fish, but have been planted since the 50s. Only lakes hooked to the rivers will have naturally occuring and reproducing fish that have any size to them.

Wish I could help you more, but I've been on the pen now for 10 years, and I'm still learning.

I did no that they were all stocked, have had lot of luck out on the Swanson river lakes with a few bows over 24". I just don't have any days off so I have to fish everywere at night. I am just looking for something to boost my catch rate. This is the first year I have fished only at night. But I'm putting in 2-3 hrs a night, and a nights fishing is always better then a days work

Have you fished much for Pike? Stormy has Pike in there as do other lakes around here. You could ask ADFG what lakes have Pike. I am sure they would be happy to tell you. If we get rid of the Pike then the bows will eventually grow bigger. Plus Pike is good eatin too. Just real boney.

Default How about...

... using a glow stick? We have used them with some success in the silty water of Skilak. Still, don't think you're gonna run into many big ones in the immediate area, as they are engineered to not reproduce, and catch rate and competiition for food keeps them small. Parasites are another local problem recently, which are keeping fish smaller and skinnier.

People have pulled a few large pike out of Stormy. The Tote Road lakes have pike too, and some are in the 20" range, but you have to deal with private property issues.

Just out of curiousity how much ice are on the lakes on the swanson system? I'm thinking about getting my hard water fishing gear going and ice a few.

[quote=sayak;371361]they are engineered to not reproduce, [quote]
    I believe that; is it true?

Default Marten-

Quote Originally Posted by martenpine View Post
    Just out of curiousity how much ice are on the lakes on the swanson system? I'm thinking about getting my hard water fishing gear going and ice a few.
    (aka) groundsluice_pete here. About 8" when we went out to Ice Lake last weekend.

Default It's true

[quote=moose-head;371470][quote=sayak;371361]they are engineered to not reproduce,
    I believe that; is it true?
    To my knowledge they are all females. They call them (correct me if I'm wrong) dyploids...(?)
    They can be loaded with roe, but it may not be fertile, or can't get fertilized, or... heck, I'm not a biologist.

Anyway, that's why they keep planting them.

[quote=sayak;371487][quote=moose-head;371470]
    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    they are engineered to not reproduce,
    To my knowledge they are all females. They call them (correct me if I'm wrong) dyploids...(?)
    They can be loaded with roe, but it may not be fertile, or can't get fertilized, or... heck, I'm not a biologist.

Anyway, that's why they keep planting them.
    Sayak
    I think you're thinking of Triploids they are rendered sterile at the egg phase. I believe the biologists use hot water on the eggs in the earliest stages of devolpement to make them sterile. Diploids are fertile.

P.S. I'm not a Biologist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!

Default Thanks

There ya go, and that's why. Kinda sad, because they go through the motions.
    I've also heard that there must be a decent stream flowing into/out of a lake for rainbows to spawn. Most local lakes are landlocked.

I've also heard that there must be a decent stream flowing into/out of a lake for rainbows to spawn. Most local lakes are landlocked.
    I have heard that too, but I think it's possible for them to spawn in a closed lake if A/ there is a good gravel bar B/ that bar has a good spring welling up through it as they need fresh oxyginated water and no silt smothering the eggs.

[quote=DRIFTER_016;371490]
    P.S. I'm not a Biologist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!
    Thats all I need.

Default Drifter said that

[quote=moose-head;371520]
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Thats all I need.
    I am neither a biologist nor a customer of Holiday Inn Express. Drifter apparently is in the know due his lodging preferences.

[quote=sayak;371584]
    Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I am neither a biologist nor a customer of Holiday Inn Express. Drifter apparently is in the know due his lodging preferences.

Drifter, Next time stay at the h express so you can light my lantern for me. hey guys. I love to fish watson lake just outside of sterling in the spring and have had great luck there for many many years before the lilly pads come out. It might be worth a shot in the hardwater season. If you go let me know how it turns out. it is not a stocked lake and we catch alot in the 14 to 20 range there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Ice out is good...

... but I've never had good luck through the ice on Watson. Lakes on the other side of the road can be good though.

Thanks Sayak I know watson is pretty shallow. The ones accross the road are much deeper. It is just wild that watson is so good in the open water months. Those fish cant really go anywhere. The north fork of the moose is not much that flows in there. There must be a deep spot they slumber down in

Default Deep water

I'm pretty sure they migrate either into deep pools on the Moose, or up the creek to Egumen. Hmmm... deep pools on the Moose... I've seen snogo tracks going back from Afonasi...

Afonasi could be it. the 2nd lake the name im drawing a blank on it is way to shallow for sure. Im sure there are a few deep pockets on Afonasi. I have been fishing watson and Afonasi since 78. I just always wondered about winter there. Then again that might be why I have never seen anybody Ice fishing there when i have stopped by in the winter.

Egumen. Interesting. Somthing to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast