Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling near trapline

Default Calling near trapline

I would like to know people's opinion on calling for predators near traplines. I would not call on a trail that somebody purposely cut in for a trapline but I'm talking about a more populated area that is routinely used by people. I noticed on a nother topic that trappers thought it was ok to hunt rabbits and small game, but I would like to know what they think about somebody possibly getting a fox, coyote, lynx, or maybe even a wolf. I have never trapped before, and I'm just starting to look into doing some calling to get out on the weekends. I just want to have an idea of what somebodies reaction would be if I ran into this problem.

Jake

Jake,

I didn't say it was "ok" to hunt on someone's trap line. I did say "I" would much rather have someone hunting than trapping over the top of me. It's much easier for a hunter to pack up and move to another spot than a trapper to move all his/her hard work down the road a bit, heck even a few feet. It would be best to avoid any confrontations, you do have every right to be there, but you also have to look at it from a trappers point of view. If you are out there hunting, and something comes up missing, or messed with you bet you'll be the first suspect.
    My word of advice for folks who come across trap lines, move on and don't put yourself into that predicament. Is it worth the hassle? Alaska is a big state!
    I'm sorry I gave the impression that it was "ok"........
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Alright thanks for the response I understand what you're saying, I personally would not like to hunt over somebodies line, and try to avoid them all the time.

Personally, I wouldn't mind someone calling near my trapline. Who knows they might call an animal into one of my snares. I try to place my snares in areas that do not see much human activity and has good animal populations. Callers will search out for areas with the same aspects. I don't expect to have the area entirely to myself, I only expect people to leave my snares and catches alone, and not trap on top of me. I find that very reasonable.

Supporting Member

Default Calling on someone's trapline

I trap on public land that sees a fair amount of use by other outdoor users. Unfortunately, I have to deal with lost animals every year because someone "finds" a dead furbearer while they are out hunting/walking. Lost a fox last weekend to rabbit hunters who shot it while it was in my snare and then worked the cable over with a multi-tool until it finally broke all the cable strands. At least with predator callers, I stand a better chance of keeping what I catch, though I would rather they respect my efforts and try elsewhere. I guess it is just the price I pay for trapping where I do.

You can not go anywhere around Fairbanks with out seeing signs that someone is trapping there.

One line near my home the trapper comes out and sets out traps every year the first part of the season. Then he does not come back for a couple of months. I saw a small dog caught in one of his traps in December and it was not removed till February. This guy rides a wide track snowmachine. So after a snow I never see his tracks again for a couple of months. Also no tracks going out to check the sets that can not be seen from the trail. So I have no problem using that trail for predator hunting. Quite successfully I might add. In the last 15 years I have only seen him one time, at the trail head and he was very unfriendly.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I can't believe somebody shot a fox that was in your snare already that is ridiculous and then proceeded to steal it. I would say that is crossing a major line. Sorry about that happening, and thanks for the honest responses.

I know guys that trap where F&G have had big hunts in the last few years. They have lost lots of fur, one friend lost a Wolverine, and several Marten. Some hunters when they get out there and feel no one is around, and that they won't be caught, just take what they find. It has gotten so bad that the trappers no longer want the hunters in the area. This gives the rest of us hunters a bad rep. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to stop this except to talk it around. Maybe the ones doing it will hear and change the way they do things.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Yep,

I don't know if some of you remember last winter when we reported our big bust but we had busted a hunter last year setting off our traps and cutting snares. Not just one set, but MANY, like a half of our line.....My husband and I were on a wild man hunt, we just knew he was still in the area by the foot prints he left behind. It was obvious when we got close that he bailed off into the woods, only to be caught coming out of the woods onto the road on the other side. We were both armed, so was he, I asked him to set his rifle down and we would do the same. He obliged and told us how stupid he was. I pointed out to him that real trappers know their business and if you think you wont get caught, think again. I used the old "if I can track a fox, I can track a mans footprint" at that point you could just see it in his face that he messed up.
    I think he was more afraid of me, than my 6'9 husband. Folks who know my husband know that he's not something to turn your nose up to.
    We called the police, they showed up and citied him. I don't know whatever happened to the case but it was sure sweet justification when he was caught. My blood was boiling! He had ruined weeks, months, years worth of work, only to stand there and tell us he was being "stupid".

For those suggestions of messing with another mans snares, it won't happen. At least not from me. I'm sitting here preaching ethics, how much of a hypocrite would I be if I hindered his chances of getting an animal.
    Sure, what he is doing makes me ill, but what else can I do about it. I went out today and posted the line, ALL of it.....If he wants to move, great, if not.....Not much I can do eh? At least I can sleep at night knowing I haven't done anything wrong. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to be coming out with a fur while he's walking in...that would be classic!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

You should feel free to call anywhere you please. If you come across a trapper most will request you not disturb certain areas and not follow thier tracks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    I know guys that trap where F&G have had big hunts in the last few years. They have lost lots of fur, one friend lost a Wolverine, and several Marten. Some hunters when they get out there and feel no one is around, and that they won't be caught, just take what they find. It has gotten so bad that the trappers no longer want the hunters in the area. This gives the rest of us hunters a bad rep. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to stop this except to talk it around. Maybe the ones doing it will hear and change the way they do things.
    Grey beard this is a growing problem and possible the one your referring to around home in Clear, Ferry, Healy, Nenana. areas...

the winter moose hunts have severely hurt several tappers and their lines of late...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Huntress, just a question, is your trapline on file with the state?

Hi Rock Skipper,

As far as I know, you can no longer register a trap line with the state.

Thats the reason I was asking because I did'nt think you could anymore.( register a line) As far as being outside of your property I would have to say you are on a respect line, "ie" ( if you come across a posted line that someone built have the respect to stay off it ) That being said down there where you're at there might be some people that don't look at it that way. I wish it was'nt that way but it is. So far in these small towns as the like I live in, we still have respect about anothers line. I do have a registered line although I can't use it at the moment, thinking about calling a friend to see if he wants to use it this winter. Best of luck to you, E.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Graybeard,

I have had fur taken from my sets along the Rex Trail for five years running. Last year I lost a lynx, a fox and a #9. Here is a pic of a lynx that someone shot with a hunting rifle, I guess for the fun of it. It took me almost three hours to sew the exit hole. A few years ago I had a machine swing over and run over every one of my lynx cubbies that they could see from the trail (over 30). Problems like these were rare before this antlerless hunt started. My dad trapped that trail for 20 years before I took his line over in the early 90's, and I can remember only three occasions he had trouble like this.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Thanks Rock Skipper,

It was the same way in the Fairbanks Area growing up. Trap lines were bought, sold and borrowed all the time. Things have certainly changed.

TJ,

Thats heartbreaking! From the stories I have been told I'm sure you're dad had his own way of taking care of "those sorts of folks".
    So that just goes to show you, its not just the "public" areas that get hit. You aren't safe anywhere anymore....
    We have resorted to taking a camera everywhere we go now, it doesnt matter what I'm doing, I'm armed with proof if anything were to happen. I have
    my own little file growing just from this year alone!

Quote Originally Posted by tjmeyer1 View Post
    Graybeard,

I have had fur taken from my sets along the Rex Trail for five years running. Last year I lost a lynx, a fox and a #9. Here is a pic of a lynx that someone shot with a hunting rifle, I guess for the fun of it. It took me almost three hours to sew the exit hole. A few years ago I had a machine swing over and run over every one of my lynx cubbies that they could see from the trail (over 30). Problems like these were rare before this antlerless hunt started. My dad trapped that trail for 20 years before I took his line over in the early 90's, and I can remember only three occasions he had trouble like this.

According to Richard Henderson of the Alaska Trappers Association, you can still register your trap line. But he also said that many trappers don't like to do that as they are concerned someone else will see where they are trapping. I only know this because I attended a workshop with him about sharing the trails at the Sled Dog Symposium this year. I wanted to make sure I knew how to release a conibear (sp ?) if I ever had a dog in one. It was an interesting session.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

1stimestar,

I think what he might have been referring to is that you can list the line with the ATA.

Default Always looking for new calling areas

Part of callin is trying new places. I have accidently set up on or near 4 differant lines only to find out later I was on or near one. Trappers post at the ends of the line and as a caller unless i find their traps I dont know if im in the middle of the line. on two of the occasions I have been asked to leave and did. Even when I was over 3/4 of a mile from the line i didnt know was there and they were adament and rude about it. I dont like confrontation and the fight is not worth it. but how much area around your line is (yours)? 1 mile 2 miles...I understand the trapper side as well as the caller but sometimes it might be good to put yourselves in the others shoes? The frustrating part is there is no way for me to know your line is close unless i walk across it. Just some rambling from a frustrated caller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast