Thread: .44 mag/.444 bullet ?

Default .44 mag/.444 bullet ?

I have never reloaded but my buddy and dad have all the equipment and I wanted to try and reload some bullets for my Ruger 44 mag and my Marlin 444.

I'm assuming that the .444 will use the same bullet as my 44. Is this correct? When I shop Midwayusa.com I can't find .444 bullets, and I believe this is why.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a round that I could load for both guns solely for popping off rounds at the range?

For hunting purposes I shoot 265 Hornady Lever Revolution through my .444 and I shoot 305 Buffalo Bores when I carry for bear protection. Will my handloads hit even near my factory loads?

Thanks for the help,

Tim

Default Powder recommendations?

I forgot to ask if anyone had any powder recommendations as well. I hunt moose with the .444 and would like to hunt black bear too.

Tim

Tim, it's the same bullet dia., .429. I like the Hornady 265gn otherwise I cast my own.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

I'm assuming that the .444 will use the same bullet as my 44. Is this correct? .... Will my handloads hit even near my factory loads?

Thanks for the help,

Tim
    Same diameter bullet but POI will probably be different from factory.

I use a custom bullet that Lee made the mould for in my .44 mag rifle loads that's wickedly accurate, and it's supposed to be good in .444 as well. It's the top one in this image:

The three crimp grooves make it really flexible.

I don't load .444 Marlin, but I'd bet H4198 or IMR-3031 would be good. Any good manual will have data for it.

Mike

Speer 270 grain Gold-Dot. H110 in the .44. Not sure about the powder choice for the .444 but have been told H4895 works well.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/17

http://beartoothbullets.com/tech_not...h_notes.htm/19

http://beartoothbullets.com/tech_not...h_notes.htm/28

Try these links, they will give you lots of info on the .444. The third link lists some powders and loads for heavy bullets.

Thanks for the powder and bullet recommendations. Snowtigger, I appreciate for the links. Lots of good info there, still reading through them.

BTW, what's a good reloading manual thats out there? I'm using a 1989 Sierra manual right not.

Tim

From the second link provided: "First let us look at those Marlin Barrels. The chambers in both the Micro Groove models as well as the newer Ballard style rifled guns have chambers with fairly generous proportions in the throat area of the chamber. Typically the throats, while being fairly short, are larger than most folks expect, with the diameter running .4325"-.433" on the average in most guns. For best results using cast bullets, that large throat diameter needs to be filled up for best performance, facilitating bullet alignment with the bore prior to ignition of the cartridge. An undersize bullet has the propensity to yaw or tip in the throat before engaging the lands of the rifling, thus causing the projectile to enter the bore off-center."

Can I assume that I can use a .429 diameter bullet for target purposes?

Tim

A jacketed bullet will probably shoot fine at .429. Marshall was speaking of cast boolits. They are a whole different animal. ie, I shoot bullets intended for the .303 British in my 7.7 Jap. They are .311,and the 7.7 Jap has a groove dia of @.317. For cast boolits, I would prefer a dia of .318-.319 for a good fit to the rifling. This assures a good seal, and helps prevent leading the barrel.
    If you are going to shoot cast, there isn't any better source of info than Marshall Stanton, especially in the .444. It seems to be his favorite cal. He makes some mighty fine boolits, too.

As for a manual, get a new one to match your bullets, Sierra for Sierra , etc. For cast, you can't beat the Lyman Cast bullet handbook.
    MArshall usually has a waiting period for his bullets, but they are worth the wait. You can call him personally and discuss your needs and wants. He hand casts all his bullets and can usually size them to your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I have never reloaded but my buddy and dad have all the equipment and I wanted to try and reload some bullets for my Ruger 44 mag and my Marlin 444.

I'm assuming that the .444 will use the same bullet as my 44. Is this correct? When I shop Midwayusa.com I can't find .444 bullets, and I believe this is why.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a round that I could load for both guns solely for popping off rounds at the range?

For hunting purposes I shoot 265 Hornady Lever Revolution through my .444 and I shoot 305 Buffalo Bores when I carry for bear protection. Will my handloads hit even near my factory loads?

Thanks for the help,

Tim
    My all around bullet for the 44 mag and 444, as well as a .429 wildcat that outsteps the 444 by 200-300 fps, is the 300 grain Speer hot core. Yeah, I use Hawk 300 grainers if I want more weight retention, but the Speer does a fine job at less than half the price. The Speer is also easy to find, while the Hawk is a special order. I cast an assortment of bullets in .429, and they're dandy too. But if you're looking for jacketed, I'll take the Speer over the Hornady 265 or 300. In game it has held up better for me than either Hornady, or the Nosler 300 for that matter.

Default That's your own fault!

"BTW, what's a good reloading manual thats out there? I'm using a 1989 Sierra manual right not. "

You'd be using a much more recent Speer one if you hadn't lost the one I gave you!

Quote Originally Posted by jrt34 View Post
    "BTW, what's a good reloading manual thats out there? I'm using a 1989 Sierra manual right not. "

You'd be using a much more recent Speer one if you hadn't lost the one I gave you!

Its not "lost" its just not where I can find it!

Tim

Speer #14 and Lyman #49 are out now, and they'd be my first choices, however you also have the Nosler, Hornady and other big name manuals. I'm still using Lyman #48 and Speer #11 (with the recognition that it's pretty old now), as well as the online data from Hodgdon.

Mike

Default popping off rounds at the range?

I like 240 lswc Red Dot for tame rounds at thr range.
    Today I tried 270 gr with 296, the blast reminded me of the big (16) guns on the battle ship, but the recoils was tame.