Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not in the greatest mood.....Ethics

Default Not in the greatest mood.....Ethics

Why do folks insist on setting traps/snares on top of someone who is already trapping? It is obvious that we are trapping the area and have been since day one, for many years now, but I just ran into a guy who just set up snares on our line and bragged about the dogs he got in the week he has been there, I made it known we are trapping there and he made no comment or apologies for being on top of us. When I was a kid, this was unheard of, what happened to ethics?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Did you ask him to move?

LuJon,

No I sure didn't. Should I have had said something like that? I just wasn't looking for a confrontation when I'm out on the line by myself. I'm armed at all times, I just don't look forward to having to use the darn thing. I did let it be known that he was trapping on top of us, he gave me a dirty look and said well all I have are snares out, here, and here. I left it at that, and said good luck.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Ethics

In most of America, 10 feet away is the norm! Welcome to the world of over-population. The most skilled still gets the prize, so sharpen your game, it wont be getting better. I ended up walking to ugly places to leave the crowd and get the first crack at them.

Tombo,

I guess I just don't live by those ethics. I do however agree its getting pretty populated no matter where we go, but its pretty sad when we have moved our line, made our own trails and still get moved in on.....Im really having a hard time with the guy bragging about getting 3 fox in the same area we have had nothing this year. I'm just perturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
    In most of America, 10 feet away is the norm! Welcome to the world of over-population. The most skilled still gets the prize, so sharpen your game, it wont be getting better. I ended up walking to ugly places to leave the crowd and get the first crack at them.

I would agree he should pack up and get out. I can see the rest of the states not haveing room but AK? I think not. Sounds like he is lazy and used your hard work to make a buck. It's wrong and unethical! Here is what ADF&G says in the trappers ethics part of the trapping regs. Which I believe were taken from ATA. 1. Respect the other trapper's “grounds” — particularly brushed, maintained traplines with a history of use. My two cents!

Default Win at any cost?

The win at any cost crowd is everywhere in America. Being polite and respectful is lost. Me me me me, mine mine mine. Yeah it's sad.
    Careful, this guy might want to move in with you after he takes your line from you! He obviously knows nothing about boundries?

Quote Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
    The win at any cost crowd is everywhere in America. Being polite and respectful is lost. Me me me me, mine mine mine. Yeah it's sad.
    Careful, this guy might want to move in with you after he takes your line from you! He obviously knows nothing about boundries?
    And he knows nothing about Huntress! She would kick his butt.

It would be sad to have his snares mysteriously disappear.

Default on that note

I have a question. I was out rabbit hunting today and came acrossed a guy fox sets(snares) he asked me to not come around anymore witch i will do.I asked him how far his line went so I would not get around anymore of his sets and he told me so I go off to 3 more spots and of the 3 two of them have snares around.Iam kinda at a loss as what to do do I keep rabbitt hunting keep in mine i had a hard time finding where to hunt at and all the snares i seen where just off the road like no more than 30 yards if yall could give me some help with this that would be great I dont want to step on some ones toes.Maybe am just rambeling thanks for the help.I think that guy should pull stakes and leave

Default compititionfor the same fur

I can understand the frustration but as long as he's not touching or messing with your stuff it is just compitition for the same piece of fur. Tie off better travel routes, use a lure he isn't, just have out fox the fox. Bad ethics suck doesn't matter who's doing what. I trapped around houston for years and seen others around, when you seen man tracks all the way to the inter tie that was how I was checking my line, pulling coyote and fox off both sides of the river.
    and frozen okie I say keep hunting the buns just avoid touching his stuff, you have the same right as he being a sportsman
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Ha! Boar, don't you know it! But I wouldn't do that either, it would make me no better than him. It's sad that its come to this, and if by chance he reads this maybe he'll think twice and move on. If not, oh well, not a whole lot I can do. I'll always maintain my ethics and be polite, I'll pass it on to future generations and hope that the rest of us would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Ha! Boar, don't you know it! But I wouldn't do that either, it would make me no better than him. It's sad that its come to this, and if by chance he reads this maybe he'll think twice and move on. If not, oh well, not a whole lot I can do. I'll always maintain my ethics and be polite, I'll pass it on to future generations and hope that the rest of us would do the same.
    Well said. I can see your frustration since you have been running that line for years. Some people just don't give a crap.

Frozen,

You'll find many trappers who are territorial, which is understandable if you only knew how much work goes into having a long, well thought out, many years of work, ethical trap line. I don't think he should pull out, but in reality he can't ask you not to hunt their either. As long as you do not disturb any of his sets, you have every right to be there as well....I would much rather have someone hunting rabbits/birds on my line (which does happen quite a bit) than someone trapping over the top of me. Just keep in mind, we (at least I do) take great care in making sure things are scent free.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen okie View Post
    I have a question. I was out rabbit hunting today and came acrossed a guy fox sets(snares) he asked me to not come around anymore witch i will do.I asked him how far his line went so I would not get around anymore of his sets and he told me so I go off to 3 more spots and of the 3 two of them have snares around.Iam kinda at a loss as what to do do I keep rabbitt hunting keep in mine i had a hard time finding where to hunt at and all the snares i seen where just off the road like no more than 30 yards if yall could give me some help with this that would be great I dont want to step on some ones toes.Maybe am just rambeling thanks for the help.I think that guy should pull stakes and leave

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Frozen,

You'll find many trappers who are territorial, which is understandable if you only knew how much work goes into having a long, well thought out, many years of work, ethical trap line. I don't think he should pull out, but in reality he can't ask you not to hunt their either. As long as you do not disturb any of his sets, you have every right to be there as well....I would much rather have someone hunting rabbits/birds on my line (which does happen quite a bit) than someone trapping over the top of me. Just keep in mind, we (at least I do) take great care in making sure things are scent free.
    So Jordan and I can come hunt bunnies/birdies on your line? Thanks you for the invite. I will leave you the wings, etc for your traps

Yep! Come on out, you just have to figure out where its at....

I didnt mean him to pull out he has every right to be there but hs only 30 yards off the road I was talking about yer guy if you busted trail then its yer line.I seen lots of snares today that you can check from your truck as you drive by.So I keep hunting there and that would be ok you think I try to stay away from his or anybody elese sets.

Just take care when hunting there. You may run into more of the same thing when trappers see you around but thats what you get when you trap somewhere thats so easily accessible. That is only my opinion of course!

Default Lets get ready to rumble!!!!!

Sucks when that happens.... I prefer to get their license plate number and continue setting traps as usual. If you end up setting up within 20 yards of his in you're area, oh well!!!! I doubt he'll want to start an all out war. Most will realize their wrong and leave. Also if he tampers with your traps after getting frustrated call him in for interfering in the legal taking of game. Fish and Game hear on the Kenai don't take it lightly. Not sure where you are but I think he'll at least get a phone call or be contacted about the issue. It will be such a pain in the %$$ for him to deal with, he'll leave. Sucks that this has to happen and it may take all season for him to get the hint but at least he won't be back next year. If all else fails and he just won't leave...... Walk away... Tell everyone you know that there is this phenomenal place to snare fox.... He'll get some of his own medicine for sure!!!!!

Hehe thats a good idea! "rent" out my trap line for next year to a few hundred people......

That guy doesn't know how lucky he was to run into you and not your husband. Your guy is one big bad MF!!!!

Be careful and take the big dog!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast