Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flathorn/Figure Eight

Default Flathorn/Figure Eight

has anyone been out to the flathorn or figure 8 lakes yet? i'm ready to go look for some pike when the ice is thick enough to get the wheeler across the little su and the lakes. any ice reports would be great. thanks in advance.

I've been thinking the same thing, but I don't know about enough snow. With the wind out there I'm wondering if you'd be riding the snow machine across grass, rock, and ice.

I went all winter last year on my 4 wheeler. Never had any problems getting to Flathorn. Not sure how it gets towards Figure Eight.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i know a guy that was at figure 8 last weekend. he brought his ranger out there and caught a few pike so there are fish and it is accessable from what i hear.

Maybe a bit off topic for you but I was at Trapper Lake last week and the ice was at least 15 inches deep. Fishing wasn't too great, 3 flags 1 fish but it was nice to get out the gear for the year.

Careful, if you go out there without the 12" of snow you run the risk of possibly getting a ticket from the troopers... just thought I would remind everyone.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

as i understand it, there is a easement down the gasline trail and also the trails to flathorn and figure8. you have to stay on the trail until they open up the refuge. low snow means 4 wheelie ride!

I was out there Saturday. Plenty of snow for snowmachines with slide suspensions and not too much snow for wheelers. Either mode is fine. You can legally ride to Figure 8 and Flathorn without snow, as long as you stay on the trails. And they are well marked with posts. Easy going, low snow, and the fish I saw laying on the ice were small. But they were picking them up on both lakes. I did not see anything of decent size being caught. Be sure to have cash handy for the parking fee. 3 dollars per day to park the truck. They are going to start towing the trucks and trailers parked along the road, because the farmers don't like it. Parking lot was plowed out.

Well thats certainly good info. I hope there's still some good fish in Figure 8. It seems everytime I go out there I find a pile of 50 fish. Irritates me because its really a great lake and I would hate to see it overfished, but at the same time, the are only two spots on that lake that are fished so there are other areas. I guess those points are just the most productive.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

How is the ice on the Little Su by the way?

Default wondering about overfishing

I have noticed quite a few small heads when I have been out there on figure eight lake also. I always had the impression that there were so many pike in the lake that they were starting to stunt out (happened all the time in back home in Montana with stocked bass ponds). Is this not necessarily true? I am just curious if my philosophy of taking the smaller ones as well as some average (3-5#) fish is not the best way to fish it. Let me know your thoughts, always up for learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi Byron View Post
    I have noticed quite a few small heads when I have been out there on figure eight lake also. I always had the impression that there were so many pike in the lake that they were starting to stunt out (happened all the time in back home in Montana with stocked bass ponds). Is this not necessarily true? I am just curious if my philosophy of taking the smaller ones as well as some average (3-5#) fish is not the best way to fish it. Let me know your thoughts, always up for learning.
    Big pike eat little pike and if there are no big pike to eat the little pike a lake will be overrun with "hammer handles." If you want to manage a fishery for pike a slot limit is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    How is the ice on the Little Su by the way?
    No open leads, no overflow, perfect. You could drive a truck over it.

Default big pike eat little pike

that is what I had always thought. I try to keep smaller fish with somewhat of a fillet on them and let more of the bigger fish back into the water.

on the pike subject, how do you bait your hooks? do you use the small troll hering whole or have you tried using the larger halibut size bait and just cut into chunks?

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    on the pike subject, how do you bait your hooks? do you use the small troll hering whole or have you tried using the larger halibut size bait and just cut into chunks?

Just use good troll herring, and point your hooks towards his tail.

On the subject of overfishing, I think the lake is actually in good shape. If you think about how big that lake is, and many places there are to fish, and few of those places are fished, I think it's a matter of just finding a new spot. Everyone who has fished their knows exactly what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 11-20-2008 at 15:39. Reason: adding info.

Yes, there have to be lots of other good spots that are deep enough, it's probably a matter of finding a day that doesn't have 30mph winds. It's so windy out there usually, and those two spots are protected.

i have tried other areas because of all the crowds and did fair to poor. although i hardly scratched the surface as far as new holes. it would be a blast to fish it in the summer with a little boat, then you could cover some water. now i need a plane, of course if i had a plane i would probably be fishing a little more remote places!

Smile Yup, that's the Alaskan tradition...

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    ...it would be a blast to fish it in the summer with a little boat, then you could cover some water. now i need a plane, of course if i had a plane i would probably be fishing a little more remote places!
    ...if I had some snowshoes>if i had a snowmachine>if I had an Argo> if I had an airplane...

or

if I had some good waders>if i had a canoe>if I had a Zodiak>if I had a jet boat>if I had a bigger boat...

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Big pike eat little pike and if there are no big pike to eat the little pike a lake will be overrun with "hammer handles." If you want to manage a fishery for pike a slot limit is needed.
    I don't buy the slot limit fishery theory. I have proved it wrong to myself many times. I have have had the opportunity to fish very remote lakes and rivers all over Alaska and Canada. Some rarely get fished at all. Each of them had small pike and big pike, small lakers and big lakers. Big fish eat small fish. Overfishing on Flathorn, Figure 8, Trapper, and a few of the other lakes with easy access is what has taken its toll. The lakes with difficult access, continue to produce big pike and small pike. A slot limit on fishermen or days fished per lake would be better for the fish resources to maintain a good fishery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast