Thread: Best Fly Rod for Kenai Reds

Default Best Fly Rod for Kenai Reds

Hi. I'm new to the post. Can anyone recommend the best fly rod set up for the Kenai River fishing from the bank? Thanks

Default 8 wt

Alot of folks use an 8 wt; that 's what I have (and those that got me started flyfishing on that river).

don't get fancy - you want the fastest action 7 or 8 weight fly rod you can find because you'll be casting (flipping actually) about 1/2 ounce of weight into heavy current in most scenarios on the Kenai. Your rod will also take a beating because snagged fish (happens once in a while) head downstream and put a lot of pressure on your rod. I'd recommend a moderately priced fast action rod like the TFO TiCr X or TiCr, but you could get away with the Professional Series from TFO if you're on more of a budget. Any fast action rod will work, but it needs to be heavy enough to control a fish in heavy current (an 8 weight is ideal in my opinion).
    It roll my eyes when I see guys spend $500-800 on a fancy rod, then clamp on a big rubber core sinker and effectively take away any of the benefits of their expensive rod. You may find a scenario in which you can fish a sinking like with no weight like a fly rod is meant to be used, but this scenario is not commonplace oin the Kenai nor as effective.
    I'm sure you'll find various opinions regarding this question, but this is my feeling on the matter.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thanks. That's helpful. This seems to be a great & helpful forum.

9 foot 8 wt been using that for 26 years and love it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

For flipping, I would just go to Freddies and pick up a Lamiglas. I've had one that I use for three seasons, which equals to whole lot of abusive hours. Cheap, Strong, Effective.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Ugly Stick
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I 2nd an 8 weight Ugly Stick, I have 4 of them, have never broke one. Snapped plenty of Bait Casters on Reds, if you buy anything other than an Ugly Stick buy it at Trustworth in Soldotna and keep a receipt so you can take it back when you break it. They replaced 3 bait casters last year, the last time when I was in they said to point my rod at the fish and that I might loose the fish but that I would not break the rod. I let them know that when it comes to loosing a fish or breaking a rod, the rod looses every time :-)

AKFishOn!
    Last edited by AKFishOn; 11-20-2008 at 01:13. Reason: spelling

I knew there would be a bunch of "ugly stick" suggestions out there... I personally hate fishing with fiberglass, but use what you like I guess. I'm very partial to graphite becasue it's so much lighter and more sensitive.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
    Hi. I'm new to the post. Can anyone recommend the best fly rod set up for the Kenai River fishing from the bank? Thanks
    Anything cheap and heavy. It doesn't take a $600 Sage to effectively floss a red on the Kenai.

After busting an 8w Loomis GL3 in thirds on a stupid Red, I vowed never again.

I just use a nice heavy 1086c salmon rod and a Curado spooled up with 20lb mono. Hook 'em and haul them in fast. Get your limit and be done with it.

Flossing reds isn't and shouldn't be a sport. It's all about harvesting meat.

Default Yep,

Go cheap. My first flyrod was/is a 8 wt. Cabela's Three Forks; 9'. Put 2 very hard seasons on it now and it just will take a whole crap load of abuse & pressure. I love this rod! Thought about going with something more expensive but why??? It ain't broke and it catches fish. This rod has taught me to actually finesse the fish instead of just yanking them up on the bank. I run straight 20 lb. Berkely Big Game off the reel too and then go to a 30 lb. fluorocarbon leader. My buddy has a Lamiglass 9wt from Trustworthy and I like it; a little more backbone to it; will probably get one next year for a backup.
    As a side note, get a large arbor reel, also don't need an expensive one. The large arbor will help you pick up line when those reds charge you at the bank (no kidding).
    Most fun you'll have if you don't go to heavy!
    Jim
    P.S. I've also got a 6 wt Cabela's rod but kinda afraid to use that on a Kenai red, maybe next year!
    Last edited by Big Jim; 11-20-2008 at 21:59. Reason: more info

Default rod & reel for reds

I've used a variety of rods I picked up inexpensively off EBay and Sierra Outfitter closeouts. I use a 7/8 weight, the heavier rods will wear you out. Get a 2 piece rod , the three piece rods will break at the top joint.

Ugly sticks used to use - and may still use - a SS top guide that quickly cuts with monofilament. A hard chrome or titanium guide is a must for fishing with monofilament; I never use anything else.

I use a 40# monofilament for the main line and 20 to 30# monfilamant for the leader. 40# line will become more flexiable with use and will usualy last a season. I use a simple barrel swivel that wlll past through the rods eyes between the main line and leader; it helps keep the line from twisting and it bounces along the bottom.

The Okuma reels are a great buy for the money; the Okuma Intergity reels are a good start. The Okuma Helois are a great for the money also but they are more pricey.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

There is nothing wrong with any of the setups mentioned here. I do feel however, part of the fun in catching reds is doing it with a fly rod and you can make it as challenging as you want. Instead of the ol' rubber core sinker and coho fly, try a nymph and a few split shot. You will be suprised at what can happen. I have caught plenty of reds on a 4wt and have had no ill effects on equipment. Remember that 95% of rod breakage is caused from the fisherman, not the rod. I have never broken a rod on red and use anything from a 4 to a 9wt. So I say, get you something that you will enjoy fishing with and be proud of at the same time...

You will be happy with an 8wt and if you have a little experience behind you, go with a 7. You will definately be in for a lot of fun.

Default Well,

in that case Trouter; I think I will be busting out me 6 wt next year! I forgot to mention that my cheapo Three Forks rod is a 4 pc; there was mention about avoiding a 3 pc rod due to breakage; I have personally seen my buddy have MY rod bent in a "U" or more with a wild fish literally at his feet; I happened to be on the boat at the time drifting for kings as he fished reds on the bank; I thought, well, at least the rod wasn't expensive, but it held and just won't give up! Geez, a 4 wt. on a sockeye!!!! I better just work my down slowly, as I'm not a "real" flyfisherman.
    Definitely kudos for giving up the baitcasters for a flyrod, all the difference in the world!!! Once you try it, you won't go back.
    Jim

Default Well,

in that case Trouter; I think I will be busting out me 6 wt next year! I forgot to mention that my cheapo Three Forks rod is a 4 pc; there was mention about avoiding a 3 pc rod due to breakage; I have personally seen my buddy have MY rod bent in a "U" or more with a wild fish literally at his feet; I happened to be on the boat at the time drifting for kings as he fished reds on the bank; I thought, well, at least the rod wasn't expensive, but it held and just won't give up! Geez, a 4 wt. on a sockeye!!!! I better just work my down slowly, as I'm not a "real" flyfisherman.
    Definitely kudos for giving up the baitcasters for a flyrod, all the difference in the world!!! Once you try it, you won't go back.
    Jim