I would be really interested in learning more about the digital mapping products out there. What scales are available for Alaska, or are they the same as USGS? What programs are you guys using? When you print them on the waterproof paper, are you any better off than with the full-sized ones from the USGS (in terms of coverage per sheet)?
I have used Maptech and the USGS program and have found both to be satisfactory. But I'd really like to see something that integrates the GPS into the program. Here is a list of features I'd like to see (please let me know if this is already out there- I'm looking!)
1. Macintosh computer / GPS interface
2. Ability to customize maps on the computer, and export back to GPS
- Freehand draw on maps
- Shade in areas on maps
- Drop icons on maps
- Add waypoints and tracks in GPS in the field and have those show up on computer when syncing
3. Ability to print custom maps
4. Same custom map on GPS
5. Ability to export map electronically to someone else for upload into their GPS
I would be interested in hearing from anyone out there who is doing this, and learning how it is working for you. What brand of GPS do you have to have, etc.