Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log splitters

Default Log splitters

I just received a 27ton log splitter from the wounded warrior program...how do these perform in the cold.... any advise ... it's a troy built w/Honda engine from Lowes..

I'm not complaining just trying to see what I need to do to be able to operate it one handed in the cold..as I have about 10 cords left to "process"

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    I just received a 27ton log splitter from the wounded warrior program...... it's a troy built w/Honda engine from Lowes..
    Troybilt with a Honda engine has to be good.

I'm thinking about getting a log splitter myself, although the old maul allows "twice heated"...........(once when you split it, and once when you burn it)

[QUOTE]
    I just received a 27ton log splitter from the wounded warrior program...
    Awesome. It's good to hear the things the program does to help out.

how do these perform in the cold.... any advise ... it's a troy built w/Honda engine from Lowes..

I'm not complaining just trying to see what I need to do to be able to operate it one handed in the cold..as I have about 10 cords left to "process"
    Are you saying you're having a hard time starting it in the cold?

Getting it started is probably the part that might be hard in the cold, but once it's fired and running, it ought to warm up and operate ok.

Maybe point a kerosene reddy heater at it to pre heat it before starting, or maybe a single bulb halogen light pointed at the engine might help with getting it started if you're having problems with starting.

My neighbor where I used to live had one like it, and he'd split wood for a couple of hours each day, every day. The cold didn't seem to slow down the splitter.

Hey RET, ever consider joining the DAV if you haven't already?

this is the one they got for me ... any experiences out there..?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...70-24BF572B711

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

If you need any help with splitting the wood...I'm game for a couple of chords. I don't need the wood, but will help you out if you need it. I will be in Vegas the next 5 days, but after that, gimme a shout.
    Semper Fi,
    Johnny

well I'll be putting it together the next couple days and I have about 1 cord (full lengths) to chop up and split ... the big delivery will be coming within the next few weeks... I'm hoping to get it up and running before the weekend so i can get the tarp off of the waiting logs... then hope my cheap chainsaw holds up ....lol and I still have to find an area to put 10 cords of wood at 8ft lengths..

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    If you need any help with splitting the wood...I'm game for a couple of chords. I don't need the wood, but will help you out if you need it. I will be in Vegas the next 5 days, but after that, gimme a shout.
    Semper Fi,
    Johnny
    AOD roadtrip to Glennallen?

I'm in.

I'm pretty good at making a fool of myself with a chainsaw, an axe and maul.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    AOD roadtrip to Glennallen?

I'm in.

I'm pretty good at making a fool of myself with a chainsaw, an axe and maul.
    Sounds good to me.... ! ! ! I haven't cut off a limb "yet"

Default cold weather

I was told by the guy at AIH when I bought mine that the cold weather is hard on the hydraulics. Cylinder seals and pump, etc. He said that 10 above is about the cutoff, for what it's worth. I do notice that when I run mine at temps in the teens the pump seems to labor a bit.

well unfortunately I almost cut off my leg with the chainsaw so my wife likes to take over with the saw... they got me the log splitter because I'm not very effective with an ax..and cant swing a maul very good with 10% usage of my right hand..

I put the splitter together just cant start it very easily (or at all) until wife has a crack at it... (maybe its to cold...)

so another project to do is get my toyo working in the garage .. it keeps flipping to reset..arrgh...

Default Log splitters

just continuing my post .... question... how well does this log splitter work in the winter? its the lowes troybuilt 27ton.... w/ honda engine... any experience...

Brian thanks for splicing the threads!

Ret25yo:
    I have no knowledge of the toro splitter but I love splitting wood! It is one thing I have enjoyed since I was maybe 11-12... For somreason I never really get bored with it. I am supposed to be shipping out in about a week but it might get pushed back. If it does I am down for a group trip north. Maybe a morning bunny hunt followed by 8 hours or so of cutting/splitting and stacking. I need to get my new Husky saw figured out though... I lost a bar nut and didn't realize it untill the chain came loose (nearly fell off) so I tightend it up and now the chain is frozen...

Default frozen chain

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I lost a bar nut and didn't realize it untill the chain came loose (nearly fell off) so I tightend it up and now the chain is frozen...
    Good chance you got it tweaked on the drive sprocket somehow Jon. Pull the clutch coverplate off and see what you've got there. Don't force it unless you want to do more damage!
    Good Luck and good luck on the deployment.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Good chance you got it tweaked on the drive sprocket somehow Jon. Pull the clutch coverplate off and see what you've got there. Don't force it unless you want to do more damage!
    Josh is probably right...when you threw the chain the drive link "fins" got a bit dinged up from the still spinning rim sprocket. Remove chain from bar, locate the guilty drive links and use a flat file to remove the burs. Once the chain spins around bar freely by hand you will be good to remount and tension.

thanks for the splice brian... my chainsaw really sucks... I'm going to get a couple more chains because they dull way to quick and its a pain to sharpen them with one hand..lol

maybe this should go into an "outdoor equipment" forum and revise the outdoor gear one to "outdoor hunting gear" or similar the outdoor equipment would be good to discuss the extreme temperatures effects on outdoor items...*hint*

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Good Luck and good luck on the deployment.
    Thanks!
    now its to tight .... not aligned correctly..

RET25... put 5w30 oil in the engine of that splitter it is cold out and those small engines don't like the 15-40 that comes stock... also let it run 15-20 min to make sure the hydraulics are cycled for a good while before making it work...

i run mine all the way to -60 with a few cold weather mods... also if you don't have a space heater... a small propane one under a tarp will warm the engine.... Keep in mind when the engine starts the hydro pump is running so if it is VERY tight... warm it up

Good luck
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks for the splice brian... my chainsaw really sucks... I'm going to get a couple more chains because they dull way to quick and its a pain to sharpen them with one hand..lol
    get a dremmel tool and and stones from the saw shop ...Grainberg stones last a good long time... also
    Baileys online for sharpeners and equipment... but a dremmel is cheap once you learn how

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i'll give it another go in the morning and see if I have some 5w-30 floating around... thanks for the tips vince it's much appreciated .. . I'll also run to the store to see if they have better chains and a dremel kit...

It's also cheaper to buy chains than than chainsaws.

This is going to sound ghetto, but you can put a regular incandescent light bulb (with the aluminum hanging handle) right beside your hydraulic pump if you are close to power. That keeps them warm enough to work all winter, just turn the light on about 45 minutes prior to firing it up.

I'm in for a trip. I'm a fan of splitting wood. What
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast