Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Hunt Planning Primer

Default Charley River Float

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Lots of good info posted so far.
    If anyone wants specific information about any area that I might know of first or second hand, I'll be happy to help out. I have personally hunted a great deal in the Great Land and I know many who have also done so. I am pretty free with my info and have no problem in letting you know what I do about a region.
    Good luck and good hunting.
    Akres

I am floating the Charley this fall, Do you have any info about the area? We are getting dropped off at Three Fingers Charley. Looking for Moose.

Matt

I would have to agree with Vance about the video, Bartlet is more inviting you to come hunting with him not showing you much. Kind of a waste of money. the Book is pretty knowledgable but I have read a few that had less hype and more facts.

I think the best way to get information is to read these forums they have way more knowlege then you can find in a book.

Also Mike is has been a very, very important part of our planning. I have read almost every post he has. Listen to him he knows what you need. and if you dont see what you need ask and everyone will try and help.

Thanks Mike.

Default brown bear hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Lots of good info posted so far.
    If anyone wants specific information about any area that I might know of first or second hand, I'll be happy to help out. I have personally hunted a great deal in the Great Land and I know many who have also done so. I am pretty free with my info and have no problem in letting you know what I do about a region.
    Good luck and good hunting.
    Akres
    does any one know how unit 16 would be middle to end of oct. would samon still be in rivers? bears still on the move? thanks for the info. randy

Default Moose hunting

I am looking for any suggestions on good harvest moose hunting areas. My dad will be coming up here for the third week of Sept and I don't want him to pay all that money for a non-resident tag and not get one. Would like a 60'' + trophy bull. But mostly just looking for adventure and good family time. All suggestions are appreciated.

Default follow some of the advice given here

Its good to follow some of the advice given here on this site; the challenge is, which parts? Here's a good place to start believing - its just a ways back on the same thread you posted to.

Quote Originally Posted by kiminski View Post
    I am looking for any suggestions on good harvest moose hunting areas. My dad will be coming up here for the third week of Sept and I don't want him to pay all that money for a non-resident tag and not get one. Would like a 60'' + trophy bull. But mostly just looking for adventure and good family time. All suggestions are appreciated.

Question kenai oso negros

Howdy interested in quality of spring bear meat? looking at a kenai peninsula black bear this spring?Dont like wasting anything including time and esp healthy animal(s). Not hunting for an ego picture or trophy. Just some good grub and a little time out of anchorage.Any sex, age, timing pro's or cons in regards to taste?

Default First Caribou hunt

I am starting to plan my first AK hunt. I could not be more excited about it and having never been to AK I have tons of questions and have been going through the regs and the posted info. One big question is seasons for caribou and I hope it is not a dumb question. How is July early August for a caribou hunt?

The best advice I can give you is hire a guide.

Default Hunt Consultation Service video uploaded!

Hi folks,

Lately I realized that I spend a lot of time on the phone answering the same questions about our hunt consultation service over and over. I don't mind that at all, but it identified a need to post a video outlining how our hunt planning process works. So I put some footage together and have posted our first hunt consultation video! Yeah, I know it's not high-definition, but it's a step in the right direction anyway. If any of you budding videographers wanna give me a hand on projects like this and you are in the Anchorage / valley area, let's chat!

Here is the link to the hunt consultation video:

If you need help with your hunt, by all means shoot me a note or drop me an email and let's talk!

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike. Just had one question for you about hunting bou off the haul road in the early fall. Would you know how early you could go after the bugs are froze out but early enough that the weather is not so bad yet? Thinking just north of the Brooks on a walk in rifle hunt outside the 5 mile area. Thanks, Ron.

You may get an answer at answers.yahoo.com

I am planning a trip to hunt for caribou this year from July 14th Thru August 17th. Unfortunately i do not have enough money to fly in anywhere so I was hoping for some advice on where I can hunt for caribou that has road access. I have a bow so any sensitive areas, like along the haul road, is ok. If anyone can give me some advice on good caribou hunts at that time of the year it would be much appreciated. Hopefully I posted this in the right spot, I'm not sure how or where to post a thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kszimin View Post
    I am planning a trip to hunt for caribou this year from July 14th Thru August 17th. Unfortunately i do not have enough money to fly in anywhere so I was hoping for some advice on where I can hunt for caribou that has road access. I have a bow so any sensitive areas, like along the haul road, is ok. If anyone can give me some advice on good caribou hunts at that time of the year it would be much appreciated. Hopefully I posted this in the right spot, I'm not sure how or where to post a thread.

Thanks
    For your time period and constraints to the road system, the Haul Road is your only option. There are loads of threads in the bowhunting forum about that hunt. The best thing you could do at this point would be to spend hours reading through past reports from that way to get a feel for the area.

Thanks for the info. Where can I find those threads?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12