Thread: Custom rifle action options

Default Custom rifle action options

You have a great forum here guys! Im going to be starting a new custom project and ive been stuck on deciding which way to go... ive narrowed down the choices to either a Stiller predator SA for 750.00+, or a pre 64 M70 1950 SN...I found this gun at a local shop for 700.00 with a little wiggle room on price. I wanted to chamber the rifle in 450 marlin or 35 whelen. The Stiller is a push feed type (which i have never been very fond of) but made very well and pretty much fills any gaps a rem 700 left out...IMO. The Winchester is in excellent condition just very filthy...I will have the action re-blued so it would be cleaned up. If i went with the Stiller id go 450 marlin and if i went the pre 64 route id go 35 whelen. The rifle will be used for black bear hunting and short range mountain deer. Either way the rifle will be outfitted with a quality barrel of 20 inches, in a #4 (35 whelen), 5, or 6 contour. Please help me decide

i built my "whelen" with a 700 action and a #4 blue, douglas 22" barrel. the metal work is bead blasted (no glare) and very durable. the barreled action is fitted to the hs precision (brand) stock.

the whelen is such an overlooked combination i am pleased you are considering it! my rifle likes 200-250gr bullets, and isn't fussy which brand. my preferences are barnes, and remington core-lockt. the standard case offers nearly the same ballistic advantage of the .338, when loaded to 2800 ft. this is easliy doable with 200gr bullets, and will out penetrate nearly everything in it's class.

other than tune the trigger, this rifle shoots .733 with heavy hunting loads and is a pleasure from the bench or hunting field. i have killed 7 elk with this outfit, and can recommend it without question.

happy trails.
    jh

Here's one vote for the pre 64 in the 358-06.

I'm green with envy.

It'd be a very marketable finished project as well....something that is rare with most custom projects!

Default Winchester

In todays current firearms situation, I would consider the 35 Whelen the best choice. The availability of brass both 35 Whelen and parent cases which can be formed in harder times. The masses of quality bullets available and the ballistics they produce are a great combination; You can also shoot cast and pistol bullets at small game,they to are available in this caliber.
    This being the next step down from a 9.3x62(being .008 smaller); it has power. Then there's always the consideration you may want/have to trade or sell this project at a latter date, It will retain much value.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'd go with the whelen also. I had a rem 7600 with a 18" bbl and loved it. One gun I wish I woulda kept. I know black bears didnt like it, although they didnt argue to much.

My current whelen has a 24" bbl so I had to build a 9.3x62 with a 20" tube to make me feel better.

The more i think about it the more i like the whelen and the pre 64 action combo....im a huge fan of winchester CRF actions....I just got this .338 Federal done a week ago and just broke her in with a range session with some factory ammo to get some brass.

Winchester classic SA stainless-blue printed receiver, trigger 2.5 lbs
    ER shaw 22" 2.5 contour 90deg crown
    Williams one peice bottom metal
    Hs precision sporter contour stock marine tex bedded and a little crylon
    leupold quick release rings and bases
    leupold vxII 4-12x AO....a little overkill but i had it around

Has anyone ever had a pre 64 action trued up? I heard they will have to take a alot of work...the Stiller comes "straight" from the shop. Im going to go with the whelen so the stiller would be ordered in long action...the winchester sounds better to me though since its what im used to.

I have a Custom 35 Whelen built on a 98 mauser action and love it. The whelen is a very good round that is over looked.

Default a good round....

I am a fan of the .35 Whelen even though I have never had one. The pre-64 is a good choice. Do we need a trued action? I guese a lot of hunters think so. I have never had one. I have had and have a few pre-64 and post 64 controlled round feed Winchesters. All of them would shoot a 3 shot group of at least 1 1/4 at 100 yards, some much better. I also think the latest Ruger offering in .35 Whelen is a lot of bang for the buck!

I have a 35 Whelen built on a Montana Rifle Company stainless left hand action. Lilja barrel and stocked with a McMillan. Love the fact it will also hold 5 down. I have about $1,600 into the rifle not counting the scope.
    A stainless Ruger would make an excellent choice if you wanted to keep costs down.
    Tennessee

Default 35 Whelen Oh Yeah

Hey .338 Mag, I always knew you had a thing for my Whelen.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I have a 35 Whelen built on a Montana Rifle Company stainless left hand action. Lilja barrel and stocked with a McMillan. Love the fact it will also hold 5 down. I have about $1,600 into the rifle not counting the scope.
    Did you put it together yourself or use a smith? I've been eyeing up those lefty Montana Actions myself. I don't want to hijack but does anybody else have any experience with the Montanas?

I had Stan Jackson put it together. I also own a lefty MRC in 458 Lott. Just yesterday I ordered another action from them for my wife. This one will be a stainless .308 with a McMillan and possibly Lilja as well (although may try Pac Nor barrel). Will be selling her Kimber Montana in 7mm/08 which only has about 20 rounds down the tube.

MRC just raised there prices considerably but I have a lefty SS long mag action for sale if anyone is interested. Current factory price is $759 but I would sell it for less than that. Send me a pm if interested.
    Tennessee

Default Winchester all the way!

Pre-64 M70 in 35 Whelen gets my vote! Perfect for the uses you describe and you get an all American action in an all American round.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about "truing up". You said it yourself, it's a 35 Whelen and would be used for bear and short range deer. You said you would get a quality barrel, so spend the rest on a good stock and scope. I think that is the best "bang" for your "buck"!!!!

EKC is right about it being marketable too.....

If/When you build it, show and tell with some pic's and post, like to see it.

Default Predator Action

I own a rifle built on a Stiller Predator and will never use one again. PM if you want details.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Well guys I decided to go with the model 70 in 35 whelen...ill keep this post informed as the project goes on. Thanks for the input!

Default 35 Whelen

Good choice because you can open your bolt face , do a little sanding on your rails and rechamber to a .358 Norma in a couple years .