Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what brand rifle

Default what brand rifle

Son in law is moving up to wasilla we have about settled on 338 for the caliber. My question is what is and why is everybodys preferance for make and model rifle and scope to start with. looking at decent price but good quality too.

i am a big remington 700 fan!! i got my rem 700 in 7mm rem mag for 275 from walmart and with factory ammo and with a good scope the thing will do sub MOA groups!! even with the cheapest federal 175 grains they make!! absolutely love that gun!!!!

Cheap reliable and ample aftermarket support, the chevy truck of bolt actions if you will.

Default Browning A-bolt

I shoot the Browning A-bolt stainless stalker in a .338 w/a Leuopold. Sweet gun, stainless, short throw on the bolt handle to chamber another round, fairly weather resitant, quick release on the magazine to unload, no wood stock to deal with in inclimate weather also. I'm sure he'd be happy with it.
    I also have a Ruger MK stainless synthetic in .338. The stock is very unforgiving and the recoil is a bit more than the Browning. Or so it feels like it.
    BK

you picked a great caliber, and one that is useful for a large percentage of big game hunting. the .338 has a reputation as a "kicker", but in fact is not. this caliber is the favorite of little connie brooks, (of barnes bullets)she has taken most everything with it. the bullet selection in factory ammunition or reloading components are so good that it is hard to make a bad choice. barnes, nosler, sierra come to mind.

i agree about the remington 700 as being an excellent choice. this is evidenced by the overwhelming approval by custom gunsmiths. that is because the remington 700 is the easiest to tune, and has predictable quality results that are easier to guarantee.

the new remington recoil pad offers a nearly 45% reduction in felt recoil when compaired to the competition with standard pads.

i just purchased the alaskan ti model 700 and am very pleased with it, but the cdl is also a great choice. the standard mountain type walnut stock fits and feel great, but the "top end" synthetics are worth the extra money. good luck with your choice!
    jh

Thumbs up I, Second Browning

I agree with the browning A-bolt, synthetic stock, with a Leopold scope. The Remington synthetic is nice too, with the Houge Stock, it was my second choice.

You have already selected a great caliber , so that criteria is in the books. The other two factors that you mentioned in selecting brand were quality and price.

I probably average 5 bolt action centerfires per week that spend time on my shop bench. Very seldom do I have a Savage that requires work because its broken. I will also put a Savage up against anything else on the market when it comes to shooting little groups.

just a little note, theres a 338 thread on the shooting forum that might give you some insight.

I'd say Ruger. I'd venture to say they are the most common 338 in AK and for good reason. The stainless used by Ruger seems to be more stainless than any other make I've experienced. CRF if it matters to you. I've abused mine by most peoples standard and it's never let me down.

Mine is plenty accurate(always makes meat) so don't put to much stock in .5 MOA talk. Most every rifle on the market today will shoot better than most people are capable of.

The Toyota truck of rifles if you will.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    I'd say Ruger. I'd venture to say they are the most common 338 in AK and for good reason. The stainless used by Ruger seems to be more stainless than any other make I've experienced. CRF if it matters to you. I've abused mine by most peoples standard and it's never let me down.

Mine is plenty accurate(always makes meat) so don't put to much stock in .5 MOA talk. Most every rifle on the market today will shoot better than most people are capable of.

The Toyota truck of rifles if you will.

KK
    hahaha sound kind of fromiliar!! the ruger is a good gun too but a little more pricey than the rem in my experience.

I dont know much about the stainless versions but my synth stock parkerized 700 has always done me well even in the rain and snow, never had a rust issue, just oil well after you take it out and it is good. and alot cheaper... being as cheap as i am, i would rather oil more than pay extra for the stainless.....but just my opinion on the subject, and i am a cheap bas!@#d!!!!

Default Only Choice

Remington 700 XCR. I have one and it is awesome. Seems more durable than stainless, finish is unbeatable, and doesn't take the oil and care a blued one required. And with the limbsaver built into the stock it's easier on my shoulder than my 300 WinMag.

Fuse

Default savage

I like savage too. dont overlook tikkas. I might get verbaly beat up for this but in over 20 years of guiding here in the north, I have seen more Remington's fail than any other by far, most of the time its been the extractor. It is a very accurate gun, although certainly not any better than the savage. Why not a Thompson? American made and very versatile? I just got one and love it!

Default CRF important?

If so, options are fewer (Ruger, Winchester, Kimber, CZ, others?)

Interesting comments from Ruger and Savage fans in another thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=25621

Good luck.

The question is.......how much $$$$ do you want to spend? Do you want to buy it at Wal-Mart or a custom shop?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks everybody already been looking at remington I would think composite and stainless would be a requirement . I want to check into the savage too anybody have any info on the accutriggers. Thanks.

Winchester/Leupold

Find a cheap used gun and spend the extra money on a better scope.

I own a ruger, a remington, and a browning. Of the three I like the browning the best, followed by the ruger, and the remington coming in third. All good enough guns though for killing animals. In the end it just comes to personel preference. IMO you can't go wrong with most guns on the market.

I have 3 Sakos and LOVE them

asking what brand is like asking ford or chevy. pick something he is comfortable shooting and in your price range. you can buy a rifle that looks like a piece of barn wood or a showroom master piece... question is can t shoot straight??? durability is everything. alaska is tough and tough on gear.
    Rule # 1 your always gonna get wet in alaska.
    I am personally a leupold and browning man. but others will buy a 3000 dollar rifle and swear by it.... growing up all i had was a cheap 100.00 savage that was a piece of barn wood but i killed more deer with it than you can stack in a truck.
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

I would never hunt again with a Remington rifle if the temperatures were capable of falling below freezing.
    Make my rifles CRF with triggers like the old Win 70 used to have.
    Winchester 70 (or Montana Rifle Co, Dakota ) first
    Ruger second.
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast