Thread: Burbot Rigs

Default Burbot Rigs

Is there any reason to change from my quick-strike homemade pike rigs if I want to go Burbot fishing? I've heard something about using an octopus hook in like 8/0, don't know if that is right though. Also, do Burbot like any particular jigs?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

the 8/0 you heard about is because for a burbot rig the shank and point need to be 3/4 inch apart. i beleive that burbot arnt too picky on the jig style, as long as you have it tipped with good bait ( whitefish, herring ) they wont mind too much on what jig you are using from my experiance.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Is there any reason to change from my quick-strike homemade pike rigs if I want to go Burbot fishing? I've heard something about using an octopus hook in like 8/0, don't know if that is right though. Also, do Burbot like any particular jigs?

I'm assuming your quick strike rigs are some dual hooked leaders? The ice fishing regs say you can only have more than one hook per line when ice fishing for pike on certain lakes (Figure 8/Redshirt/ect) and then both hooks have to be in the same bait. I called about this and was told that this is in fact the case. I asked about the jigging rapala (3 hooks on 1 lure) and was told it was also technically illegal but, and I quote, "I doubt a trooper will give you a ticket for it".

Default spoons and leadheads

I've caught lots of burbot while jigging for lake trout and arctic char on spoons and leadhead/plastics with no bait at all. Some spoons that have accounted for numerous burbot include little cleos, krocodiles, etc. between 2 and 4 inches long. Leadheads with soft plastics in the same size ranges have also resulted in a lot of burbot. Granted, these are not effective on tip-ups and set lines. These lures need to be actively fished. On the upside, it's rare to deep hook a burb on artificials and they can easily be released. Grab 'em like a bass, unhook 'em, get a photo and send them back. They, like the char, are slow growing, slow to mature (6-9 years before they spawn for the first time, if I remember correctly), and easily overfished, especially where bait is legal.

thank you guys very much for the info.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.