Thread: M1A thoughts

Default M1A thoughts

I've been toying with the idea of buying an M1A. I've never been much of a semi-auto fan, but started thinking that if I ever want to have one, I might want to do it now. I'm curious to know what those who have experience with them think. I handled one once a few years ago, but have never fired one.

I'm certainly not the authority, but what little I've played with them:

They're heavy - you'll want a bipod. With average accessories they weigh 10-12 lbs. If you want light, go with an Ar-10 or similar.

They take a beating before they're smooth and broke in... When new they are tight and the action/mags are tough to maneuver.

Finally, there were some cheapo m1a's from China that were sold over here in the 90's. I don't like those - wood stock but plastic shroud, etc. If you're going to get one, I'd go with an OLD walnut stock M-1 that's been updated to receive M14/M1a mags, or get a new synthetic stock M1a...

Hopefully others will chime in with more substantive info. At least's in a good common (NATO) caliber to have in tough times!

Default I loved my M14

But that was when I was shooting high power rifle, the Gov't was buying the ammunition, paying match fees, travel, food, and tuning up the rifle once in awhile.
    That particular rifle was capable of hitting a torso-sized target to a thousand yards, if the jerk behind the trigger could manage it.
    The weight was entirely manageable, but the magazine got to be a pain if it was installed and I had to pack it for awhile. Short mags are available for 'sporting' use. Longer mags make a nice palm rest for shooting offhand, and hold lots of .308.
    My oldest son came up with a Socom, and it shoots really well, is easy to pack, has lots of doo-dads and gee-gaws, but is LOUD!!!
    I'd love to have another one, or two, to go along with my Garands. If you think you want one, I'd suggest getting one now, or at the very least, getting on a backorder list somewhere, they've dried up around here right along with all the AR15's since the election.

Just picked up a Springfield M1A. I love it!

I've got one that I shot for years in Highpower Competition, took it to Camp Perry 3 times. They are great rifles, fun to shoot and accurate as all get-out.

Default 308

The M1A is a heavy battle rifle and is a decent 308. In the last few years the price has risen significantly. They are hard to find at present. If you are just looking for a semi-auto 308, I would consider a FN-FAL style rifle. Mags are cheap(M1 mags ain't) and parts are/were readily available. They have short/ long barreled models which have an adjustable gas system that can be tailored to the ammo being shot plus all the mounts for the bells and whistles. They have both wood and black stocks and are lite and reliable. They have been used in every field of battle on earth and are in service in the middle east as we speak. In Desert Storm when the English recalled all of the Enfields due to problems with sand the FN's were their replacement rifles. They are currently much less than a M1A.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'm not particularly concerned with weight. I tend to prefer rifles that are heavier than most guys like to carry, and I don't envision this being a gun that I would be carrying around hunting. I figure I'd use it for recreational shooting and to have on hand just in case the black helicopters come to my house. I'm also thinking that even if I never use it, it will appreciate in value, so its really a no-lose deal.

Just got done shooting my springfield Standard. Love it!!! The gun is as accurate as I would ever need it to be. Its also a ton of fun burning through a 20 round mag of .308. Like you said, if the little black helicopters ever do come, a .308 is a whole lot more firepower than the pip squeek .223

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    Just got done shooting my springfield Standard. Love it!!! The gun is as accurate as I would ever need it to be. Its also a ton of fun burning through a 20 round mag of .308. Like you said, if the little black helicopters ever do come, a .308 is a whole lot more firepower than the pip squeek .223
    Nice man, do you have the wood or synthetic model?

synthetic mossy oak cammo

C'mon, for the choppers you need a Barrett .50 BMG!

Lots of rounds thorugh them. Still have three in the safe to include a a couple of totally matched out, double lugged, bolted in receivers and a rack grade. Shot them to 1000 yds on paper. Great gun. Buy one. Hope that helps.

Default M1A

Great rifle.... shot High Power with one before going on to an AR... and then (thank you California) to 40X.

I'd trust three semi-autos in bad times... M1, M1A and FN-FAL. And maybe an AR in 6.5 Grendel.

Default If you don't mind a "New Guy" chiming in...

M14-type rifles are my favorite long guns.

But Beware - they're addictive!

I had one in the Nam and trusted my life to that rifle. It took me many years of going through all different kinds of rifles, shotguns and hand guns, before I decided to "come home" and buy a Springfield loaded.

That's when the trouble started... I was hooked.

Because they are basically "Battle Rifles" and not target guns, the best you can reasonably expect is 5-shot groups in the range of 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards out of the box. Ain't bad... but you can improve the accuracy.

So, from a $1,200 rifle I now own a $2300 rifle with lots of USGI parts, a match-tuned trigger group, bi-pod, and other goodies, all nestled in an honest-to-Gawd Whamo-Cammo Renegade fiberglass stock.

Here's what the little devil looks like.

If I do my part, it'll shoot into a inch + with irons with most types of military surplus ammo (my rifle really likes Aussie milsurp). I don't know what it will do with GMM ammo because I'm not a paper-puncher and the accuracy I get is fine with me. I don't normally shoot with the scope and with the mount I've got, I can detach the QD rings and still shoot my irons just fine.

The best part is that I just love shooting the darn thing - it's something you have to experience for yourself, but I usually leave all of my other long guns in the safe when I head to the range (with the exception of my Garand - but that's another story).

As you can tell - I just love my M1A. If you get the chance to shoot one, you'll probably be hooked, too.

If you want a "shorty" model M1A, try the "Squad/Scout" model - It's short enough to improve handling, but long enough that muzzle blast won't be a problem.

Best of Luck to you what ever you decide.

db

I have an M1A too...older SA with TRW parts in a GI fiberglass stock. One of our machinists is probably the only true M1A armorer left around in AK so he has tweaked it for me and it shoots like a house on fire. My favorite military style rifle

Stay away from the Norinco. I had an early one. The fit and finish was awful. Stay with a Springfield.

Just my 2 cents....

Ron

Thanks for all of the input. I had already heard that I should stay away from some of the cheaper knock-offs and imports. I plan to get a Springfield. The only problem now is finding one for a reasonable price.

You might give LRB Arms a look. FORGED receiver...$$$. I have a couple of the M14 style built on Armscorp receivers with all USGI parts. One hasn't been shot, the other has many K rounds down range.

Both the M14 style and the M1 Garand are great shooters.