Thread: Let's talk seward silvers

Default Let's talk seward silvers

Since it's creeping up on Winter it might be a good time to review the silver fishing this last Summer in Seward. This was my first full Summer to really get a feel for the silver season. Really never silver fished outside the bay because of the high cost of fuel. Did make a couple of Halibut runs but most of the time was spent inside the bay. My wife and I got to Seward about the 10th of July and fished off and on for two weeks. We went out to Pony Cove and the Narrows and just caught Silvers consistantly the whole trip. Some days we caught them as fast as we got our lines in the water and other days it took five or six hours to catch a limit. Even at it's slowest, fishing was great. The fish were also very large(average fish 9-10 lbs with quite a few in the teens). Most of the time we trolled or wind drifted cut plug herring. Maybe 20% we mooched herring or jigs. We also poked around Fox, Hive, Caines, and Callisto trying to save fuel but always ended up out in the Honey Holes.

We came back to Seward the second week in August. Things were really different. Again we fished off and on for 14 days. We were constantly prospecting all over the Bay to find pockets of fish. One day late in the evening we found a pocket of nice slab silvers out at fox island. Got a limit in about two hours. Thinking we had it figured out we went back the next morning and nary a fish. As the month went by we ended up just trolling between the harbor and 4th of July with an occasional shot out past Millers landing and on out to Fox. Limits were rare but we seemed to put 5-10 fish in the boat each day we fished. Not early season Pony Cove but still fun days. Also that close in fishing was much easier on the fuel bill. All in all a great Summer and looking forward to learning more about the seasonal Silver patterns.

Anyone else see the fishing slow down in August or do I just need to keep learning? Also would be interested in good areas outside the bay that we might hit on the way back from halibut trips. Any tips or timing would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Oralaska View Post
    Anyone else see the fishing slow down in August or do I just need to keep learning?
    First of all, congrats on a good summer. You got out on the water much more than I did. But your August experience isn't atypical...the only variable is when, not if. Once the fish decide to move in off the capes and Pony, the fishing gets scratchier. Sounds like you still managed to pull in a few afterwards, but the limits are hard to come by after that.

Default Silvers?

Mr. Fish nailed that one, but with one exception. On normal years silver will regroup in big number at the head of that bay right around Labor Day Weekend. Over the years I have had crazy good fishing there with just a five minute boat ride. Find em, drop the Anchor, and hold on because you are going to have a tight line.

My wife's sister caught the biggest silver I have ever seen this summer right off Caine's. In fact, it was so big I thought it was a king and said nice little king (I was in the cabin driving the boat). When taking it out of the cooler and getting a closer look at it at the fish cleaning tables, I discovered it was a silver. It was 3 days before the onset of the derby and weighed 23 pounds on my digital scale after it was bled out.

Default silvers

That's great to know. Will be around Seward next Labor day so I'll give it a try. Might as well catch them, as many are from the enhanced stocking program.

Default fishing is fishing

sounds like you had a great summer of silver action in the Bay! congrats!

I can honestly say that you had better luck than most... hour for hour for your efforts... if what you described is an accurate account for your time spent.

you certainly lucked out on your timing this year.... silver fishing was hit or miss this summer. fish were out there but not in great numbers, due to a variety of factors, like the fall flooding of two years ago, a late spring/mild summer, and the lack of enhancement from the city Chamber of Commerce/ASLC as they've done in years past. furthermore, there was an over-abundance of herring this year to contribute to the on/off bite factor and the protein rich diet that accounted for numberous hog silvers mistaken for kings.

so congrats again... wish my luck was as good as yours last summer.

The July fish at Pony and chevell was some of the best consistant fishing I've experienced. Seems like there is always weather or off bite to contribute to an off day. We fished about seven days during that period and just seemed to hit it right.

The success I did have during the August fishing was due more to 6am to 5pm fishing days. That computes out to working hard for a few fish as compared to early fishing.

I did learn an interesting technique early in the trip that seemed to work throughout the Summer. On one of our trips I ran out of small troll herring and just had some large halibut bait herring on board. I laid the herring on its side and cut off the belly the length of the fish right under the rib cage. I then fillet one side of the herring and cut the head off the other side. This left me three baits out of one fish. I rigged them just like a cut plug and trolled and wind drift trolled. It seemed that these baits were deadly for short periods after entering the water. Also worked well with mooching. With so much raw meat exposed I assumed it was the increased scent. Later in the troll they seemed to work as well as a cut plug. Also a very economical bait. I would buy one of the 20lb boxes at the fish house and it would last me several days.

Yep...I just cut my halibut bait too...much cheaper and silvers don`t seem to care.

Must be some other good seward stories or techniques out there. I just need good fishing stories to get me through the winter.

Default Sounds Like Fun

This past summer was the fisrt one in years that we didn't fish Resurrection Bay silvers. We ended up having real hit and miss luck out of Whittier, even at a few spots favored by an old timer buddy <location top secret>.

We truly missed the action - and the limits. We look forward to next summer as nothing seems to come close to Resurrection Bay silver action. If only the shrimping grounds out of Seward were closer in....

Default Toss up

It was a toss up between Pony Cove and fishing inside the Valdez narrows this past season. The ride out to Pony Cove was a bit rough but...worth it.

Man...I like trolling for silvers. I have never experienced silver fishing like I did this past summer. Lets hope next summer is as good. Got a whale breaching high also...fantastic!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel