Thread: I hate this

Default I hate this

While I'm sure this isn't the last time I'll be here looking for help I still can't help feeling that I'm either as dense as a rock or I'm missing a part for my Lee press. I have a single stage press and I have the shell holders but I cannot figure out how to install the shell holder onto the shaft. By the pictures I have found online it looks like I'm missing something but I don't know what it's called nor can I find a reference to it in the parts lists.

Here's a picture of the top of the shaft and also a shellholder in the background. What's the name of the missing piece? Am I going to feel like an idiot when you guys figure it out?

Default wrong shell holder

My friend, that is a shell holder for the Lee Autoprime hand-held priming tool. If you have Lee dies, the proper shell holder for the press should be in with the dies.

I actually didn't read your post, but I looked at the picture and as we all know a picture is worth 1000 words!

The shell holder in your picture is for the Lee hand priming tool, not for your press. Lee includes a press shell holder with their dies. Other die makers don't. And all the die makers have their own numbering system for the shell holders, but luckily they are interchangable between presses.

Reloading can be confusing, mostly because humans are involved Don't feel stupid for asking questions.

ARRGH! Warren, you beat me to the answer! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    My friend, that is a shell holder for the Lee Autoprime hand-held priming tool. If you have Lee dies, the proper shell holder for the press should be in with the dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I actually didn't read your post, but I looked at the picture and as we all know a picture is worth 1000 words!

The shell holder in your picture is for the Lee hand priming tool, not for your press. Lee includes a press shell holder with their dies. Other die makers don't. And all the die makers have their own numbering system for the shell holders, but luckily they are interchangable between presses.

Reloading can be confusing, mostly because humans are involved Don't feel stupid for asking questions.
    LOL, oops.

Ok, so when I pick up dies I shouldn't get RCBS as I will then still not have the proper shell holder for my press? This is just so danged confusing.

Default GET

Either purchase a set of Lee dies which come with a shell holder or buy a set of RCBS dies and the shell holder for your caliber. the best buy is a set of LEE shell holders, they have a set which covers the most commonly used shell holders in one box at a major savings. If you plan on loading more than 1 caliber.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Good thing is you are not the first one I have seen with the very same problem and being man enough to ask on a forum.

Rcbs dies are what I prefer but they do not come with a shellholder anyways. I use a lee press and it will accept a RCBS shellholder (most are universal).

Just happens that the shellholder that you need looks like this and is not flat like the primer tool shellholders.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Bookseller, if you already have a set of dies, what cal?. I might have an extra shell holder for that cal You can have as I have a small box of extra shell holders.

Gun Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Runner View Post
    Bookseller, if you already have a set of dies, what cal?. I might have an extra shell holder for that cal You can have as I have a small box of extra shell holders.

Gun Runner
    Wow, that's very kind of you. Right now I have dies for .44 magnum only. Just name your price.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Good thing is you are not the first one I have seen with the very same problem and being man enough to ask on a forum.

Rcbs dies are what I prefer but they do not come with a shellholder anyways. I use a lee press and it will accept a RCBS shellholder (most are universal).

Just happens that the shellholder that you need looks like this and is not flat like the primer tool shellholders.
    Thanks, at least I know what it looks like now.

Default patience and a knowledgeable friend

to help you get going are two factors that go a long way to help you become a happy and healthy reloader. Ask lots of questions and remember, have fun! and be sure/be safe

BookSeller, P.M. me your address and will get one in the mail to you N/C

Gun Runner