Thread: Spring Bear Hunt

Default Spring Bear Hunt

Doing a spring blackie hunt in PWS this May. I've got one hunting partner who would like to do the hunt in middle May and the other who would like to go late May to early June. Both are pretty well stuck on particular time frame. From all I've read, it looks like the BEST time is the week before or the week of Memorial day as long as it's before Memorial day weekend. The partner wanting late May to early June is worried about quantity of bears as this last May there wasn't many bears out the 3rd week of May due to snow a sea level. What's the general opinion of everyone for the best time?

It all depends on the weather, each spring is different. I would go with the first week of June, thats when I will be there. It only takes a few nice sunny days to get them moving. It is all about the grass, no grass no bears. I have hunted there the last 4 years, I would say based on that the last week of May or first week of June should put you in bears. Lots of pressure over the long weekend.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

HAHA... I'm the middle May partner referenced above. I like the early bears with less competition. This last spring was not a normal comparision however, and I'd agree for '08, the first week of June was prime.

Curious what others will say timing-wise!

I'll try to be workable however. Btw, welcome to the fray Wolfman!

Default pondering

I have been pondering the very same ?

A friend from Nebraska is coming to hunt with me who works 7on 7off - his week off is the week after the 3 day weekend (or the week before I guess)...we haven't locked in dates yet...I guess I better get out the Farmer's Almanac - unless someone has a crystal ball that I can borrow.

3rd week of May

hands down last week of May to first week of June. The coat quality is still the same and gives you more bears to choose from rather than questioning the bear you just shot. The later it gets the more bears start to pop out, last year it went from seeing 15 bear the last week in may to seeing 28 in the same area, it all depends on the snow.

I'd prefer the following:
    3rd week of May
    Last week of May
    2nd week of May
    First week of June

But by far the best time is the time you can go, so get out there!

Default PWS Black Bear

I took mine on 28 May...Great hide and meat.

Good luck!

Default Big Bears are the first to come out!

Just to stir this up a little bit, remember guys, the big bears come out first!

Although this is not the answer people want to hear, you really have to be flexible and just track the weather and talk to whoever's been out to see what they've seen as far as numbers go. My plan is to stay in touch with a friend in the area and listen to his advice to see when those south facing slopes start to show green. When they do, I'll be on my way out the door!

Good luck to everyone!

Default PWS bear

We took a nice spring bear just outside of Valdez last summer. Although a smaller one the pelt was full and void of any rubs. The WX was nice and bears a plenty. There was a ton of bear up to the end of the season it seemed.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Tdelarm - when exactly was your hunt out of Valdez?

Exclamation not all the big ones

come out first. In 2005, I took a 7'10" blackie out of Port Wells 2 days after Memorial weekend. My buddy's son took a 5'4" blackie a week and a half earlier and said it was the biggest he had seen on his 3 day hunt. When I got mine it had been bedded down near its den and the scat plug was nearby and looked fairly fresh. Claws were razor sharp and hide was flawless. The only downside was it was supposed to be a 4 day outing, lauched boat in the am 1st day, shot bear midafternoon 1st day, buddy I was with(and who owns the boat) severly twisted ankle evening of 1st day, headed home am of 2nd day. Buddy went 1 1/2 weeks later and got a 6'1" blackie.

Well, we are pretty well settled on the week before Memorial day. Thanks for all the inputs.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

All of my Valdez bears were taken the 20th/21st/19th/23rd of may...I would plan a week you will see bears but 2-3-4 days is not enough to give you that selection your looking for. there are days out there that you can see them emerging and sliding down the hill to the green and there are days you wont see any... i have always had my best luck while the snow was still on the hills you can look for tracks of new sign and look for the nearest green... both in the sound and just north on the hwy....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

For what it's worth, we went out of Whittier last June 1 for 5 days on a boat, saw 1 sow w/cub the first evening. That was it, of course it rained non-stop for the full 5 days, which probably didn't help. Did catch a few fish and ate good. Mark

I had a similar trip 2 years ago, the last week of May. It rained virtually non-stop for six days, and we didn't see a single bear.

The following weekend was gorgeous sunshine, and my buddies shot 5 bears in 29 hours. They were all over the place.

My one of 10 fly in SE Alaska Bear Hunts where someone within the group did not take one was one where it rained 13 inches in 6 days a field. (OCT hunt) Not sure what heavy rain does but you are out less and so are the Bear.
    Last edited by AKFishOn; 12-09-2008 at 18:39. Reason: grammar