Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sights and Rests

Default Sights and Rests

Looking for suggestions on a good hunting sight and a rest for my new Hoyt. I have been leaning towards a drop-away rest instead of the whisker style. thanks for the help......

Default drop zone

Look at the trophy ridge drop zone. I have had good luck with several of them - never a problem once you get it set up right - which on ly takes a couple minutes.

Default Arrow rest/sight

I started with a drop away and changed to a WB. You will find lots of opinions in this forum, as this frequently comes up. I lost 1-2 fps when I moved to the WB, which is insignificant. WB are hard on vanes. Lots of people with the WB use Blazer vanes, they seem to hold up. The reason I went to WB was to minimize the chances of making a bad shot. Lots of pros/cons for the WB and drop away.

I have a a Cooper John's 5 pin sight. It was reasonably priced. There are plenty more on the market that can be quite spendy. I have not reason to change.

Thumbs up

Hostage Pro by Octane....All the benefits of a WB without the vane damage or loss of speed.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for the advice everyone, the Octane Hostage Pro is a great idea.....

what are yo using your bow for primarily?? If hunting alone to me nothing keeps it simpler than WB..... if you are 3-d'ing or target shoot plus hunting I'd go with drop-away I like trophy ridge over vapor trail drop away both set up easy in a few shots but i perfer dropzone.... sights it is too wild !! i shoot 1 pin HHA sights but i also like summit sights and TR , copper john makes excellent sights ... you'll have to decide inline, stacked ,multi pin vs. single pin... but if you are only hunting K.I.S.S. single pin set to 25 yards and W.B. can't go wrong!!

Thumbs up Another for Drop Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Look at the trophy ridge drop zone. I have had good luck with several of them - never a problem once you get it set up right - which on ly takes a couple minutes.
    +1...........

I really like my Flashpoint site by Black Gold. The case on it lightens and darkens depending on outside light so that the pins don't glare. The lighting on it is fantastic!!! Here is a link for it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20071&rid=
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

of all the rests I have tested I like the QAD ultra rest the best. All the bennefits of the other drop aways except it is the only one that I know that will not fall away if you go to full draw and decide to let off to wait for a better shot opportunity. The QAD is the only one I am aware of that can tell when you actually shoot. Anothere good question is if you are going to use vanes or a FOB on your arrows? If you are going FOB you are stuck with the fall away rests.

Default Fall aways

I personally shoot with a Drop Zone on my hunting bow. Arrow containment is an issue. Sometimes the arrow will get knocked off the rest. I am very impressed with my wife's Trophy Taker ExtremeFC. Her's is the angle slot one. Very good arrow containment. Pictured below.

Both of our target bows have Convertable HDII rests on them. These are ok for the range, but I would not use them for hunting. Too much noise and the arrow pops off the rest quite often if you draw the bow quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow, this is a great site! It will be used primarily for hunting and of course fun shooting. I have been impressed with the Drop zone and QAD HD rests, for the sites, Spott Hogg, Black gold and copper johns are my three choices. thanks again for the help from fellow Alaskans.......

I put Spot Hogg Real Deal sights on both my bows, and I shoot much better than with my old F-22 sight - much lower tech. I love the Spot Hoggs, would recommend .019 or .010 pins.

No experience with the others. Keep in mind, the Spot Hogg can be had with the light-gathering wrap - any of these sights that would accept a light would be illegal for hunting AK if the light is installed. But the wrap would be fine. Several other sights have light-gathering devices like the wrap - basically extensions of the fiber-optics that collect more natural light.

Good luck and have fun with your comparison shopping.

Chris

so if I understand this correctly the fiber optic wrap is legal in the State, but any battery to power a supplemental light is illegal.

Love the DMI rest. Use it on my hunting bows and indoor bow. Love the new copper John sights.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by FBXNanook View Post
    so if I understand this correctly the fiber optic wrap is legal in the State, but any battery to power a supplemental light is illegal.

I believe that is correct. Basically the "pins" are really long, and they wrap inside of part of the site. Nothing illegal about that. Where you get to the illegal part is when you add something that has a light bulb or other artificial light to light up the pins. But with the long pins wrapped around, they are essentially just more efficient at gathering natural light, which is not illegal.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Something new, something different

Take a look at this sight, just found out about this thing yesterday and it looks pretty good. I believe Paul is going to get 1 or 2 for his shop so i'll be checking them out when he gets them. http://www.axcelsights.com/

Spot Hogg Hogg-It and a deluxe Whisker bisquit. Have been using the same sight and rest for 5 years now. Just move it to the new bow if I get one. Probably the only two pieces of equipment that have never given me problems.

Trophy Ridge Dropaways and Copper John Dead Nuts 5 pin on my Mathews MQ1 and my wife's Mathews Switchback and the same on my son's Hoyt Ultra Tech. He doesn't get a Mathew's until he's done growing. We use them for 3-D and for hunting.

I had a Spot Hogg on a Mathews Safari Custom and it would not stay together but have never had a problem on any other bow. I shot it at 95 lbs and I think it was just to much torque or something.

I have a single adjustable pin from Vital Bow Gear and love it, took some getting used to but really like a clear sight window. Hell go to the right shop and try a few but the one you like best.

Goodluck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast