Thread: 550 Paracord

Default 550 Paracord

Does anyone know of a place in Anchorage that sells 300 to 600 foot spools of 550 cord. The real Mil-C-5040 Type 3 parachute cord, not any lesser knock offs? Thanks.

Default AIH or REI?

Two places I'd think likely to have the real deal.

Ak Industrial Hardware had "blue steel" rope for a good price in the summer. They do carry spools - maybe for sale.

REI also stocks spools and might order.

Good luck.

Been a while since I've been there, but B&J (Northern Lights & C) sells spools of various rope. Don't remember if they sell 550 paracord though.

Maybe Second Chance on Spenard.

Or Army Navy.

Or that new surplus / gun shop on Spenard. Sorry, can't remember the name.

Or search the yellow pages for the local civilian drop zone and call the DZ and speak to their parachute rigger to see if he has any he can sell or a line on where to buy it locally in the quantities you're looking for.

Or call Paragear and order it. http://www.paragear.com/default.asp
    I know that they have 550 cord in the quantities you're looking for.

Default ebay

carries it, some are knock offs others are the real deal. If you go into I think sporting goods and search 550 cord they should come up.

Default Army Navy

Downtown usually has. Downstairs. Had spools of 1000'. Not sure about shorter length spools but maybe 500' or so. But seen the 1000' for sure.

Default 550 cord

Thanks for the helpful advice. I stop by Army Navy and a few other places this weekend and hopefully find the real thing in 300 to 500 foot spools. Has anyone purchased the Cabela's "Mil Spec 550 Para Cord", 100ft for $7? Is this the real military issue? Thanks.

I bought some USGI para cord on ebay and got lucky and got the real thing. You may want to check it out as with the new one rate boxes you can ship to AK for cheap

Quote Originally Posted by ak hunter View Post
    Thanks for the helpful advice. I stop by Army Navy and a few other places this weekend and hopefully find the real thing in 300 to 500 foot spools. Has anyone purchased the Cabela's "Mil Spec 550 Para Cord", 100ft for $7? Is this the real military issue? Thanks.

I have and yes it is the real deal.

I bought mine from Barre Army Navy Surplue in Vermont. Here's a link.
    http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp

I went by GI Joes on International (?) yesterday. Sorry, I don't know ANC very well so it might not be International.

He had a 1000' roll of white 500 cord for $125.00