Thread: Rusty Gun Ideas

Default Rusty Gun Ideas

After a recent POW deer hunt and my TC Encore started to rust a bunch around the receiver. It was oiled each day but I had to leave it there in the cabin for a week before I got it back. The hammer was especially rusted. The gun is stainless.

Any thoughts for cleaning?

Lots of oil and 0000 steel wool.

I have found that Hoppes#9 does a good job on cutting rust, add that to the steel wool treatment followed by oil and you should be good to go. If any parts are blued use bronze wool !

What they said.The good part now is you don't have to baby it anymore,just clean and hunt with it.

Default TC

If all else fails call or e-mail Tompson Center Arms and ask them. Might be that they will work it over if the rust is bad enough.

Come to think about it, I would call them BEFORE I did the steel (or brass) wool cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    After a recent POW deer hunt and my TC Encore started to rust a bunch around the receiver. It was oiled each day but I had to leave it there in the cabin for a week before I got it back. The hammer was especially rusted. The gun is stainless.

Any thoughts for cleaning?
    I recommend using Flitz metal polish it works great removing rust.

I've heard that you should use stainless steel wool on a stainless gun or the fine pieces left behind from regular steel wool will rust on the gun. Never looked for stainless wool so I'm not sure if it really exists.
    Henry Bowman for President

one more thing , flitz also helps prevents rust on your firearms up to 6 months.

I had the same issues while hunting in PWS with my Benelli R-1. I sent the barrel to Lee at http://www.blackicecoatings.com/Photo_Gallery.html
    He did a great job, have had zero rust issues even with 2 weeks hunting the salt marshes.

Brownells has stainless steel wool, as said before the regular will cause more rusting.
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...p=21175&st=&s=

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thumbs up And after that...

If your Thompson has a matte finish, you may be disappointed with the shiny spot left behind by the stainless steel wool.

You can mitigate it a lot by taking a small brush with stainless bristles and tapping them on the shiny spot. Sort of like you were stippling it. It won't match the surrounding matte steel, but at least it won't be so shiny you can signal the space shuttle with it anymore.

Ive had my rifles coated by Falcon gun coat the stuff wont rust even on salt.

Default flitz

If yuor gun is matte finish the flitz will also leave a shiny spot. I just re-bead blast mine when they get scuffed or rusty but i guess not everyone works in a shop with a glass bead cabinet,hehe.

Default Pink eraser

A PINK eraser would do the trick for most surface rust, and it won't remove the finish. However, on the deeper stuff, try one of the suggestions above.

When I am going to take my Stainless Encore out I paint the whole gun with Removable Camo Paint. that way it is not shiny, and it is protected from rust. Mineral Spirits takes the stuff right off when I get back.

The stuff I am talking about is made for Archery Equipment, and sold in Archery shops.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Wipe Away

I use Wipe Away cloth on my stainless guns (gun cleaning products). It comes as a folded sheet in a ziplock type bag. Cut a 2" square and wipe the rust spots hard till they dissolve away. Cloth turns black from cleaning the metal surface. Pits will show if badly rusted. Don't use on blued guns as it will remove the blueing. Great for the cleaning the front of revolver cylinders. Good luck...