Thread: New to the re-loading world

Default New to the re-loading world

I have loaded up some 52gr Sierra HPBT Match Kings for my 22-250 with 33 grains of powder. I was curious to know if anyone has used this bullet with little pelt damage on yotes, fox, wolves ect.. I bought a .17 HMR Savage for taking fox and cats thinking that the 250 might be a bit much. Is there a better bullet for saving pelts that has good expansion without going with a full metal jacket?

Mike

I am not sure how fast you are goin with those 52's but one thing is for sure with my 22-250, I have to slow it waaaayyy down to minimize pelt damage (I am talking below 3k). I remember someone on here saying they used some barnes x's and had success saving pelts; you may try to do a search. I know alot of people have said to use the FMJ's but I got sick of my prey still goin several hundred yards after a vital shot, and I dont like taking head shots all too often. I am trying a new load and hopefully be able to let ya know how that performs soon.

Sweet, yeah those rounds I have are if i remember right are between 32-3500 fps. I was looking at some 45gr's but all I can seem to find are hp's and I would rather not go that route. Yeah I know what you mean on the FMJ's and thats why I'm still not leaning that way, although people swear by them. Have you or anyone else had any luck or experience with the spitzer bullets or the soft points.

mike

Default spitzers

I cant remember using soft point/spitzers for preds at any time. I do have some tho and they will be up here mid-december so I may try some if anyone chimes in on those.

GSP: did you find anything on the threads for the TSX for preds? I would think those gotta tear some stuff up but I am not sure.

I am new to the AK pred scene but I think you are smart for sticking with the 55's in case you plan on goin after the wolfs.

yeah i have looked into them somewhat, and from what i gather and i could be wrong is that there will be some damgage. Yeah thats why i bought the .17 for those cases where you call in the fox or the cat but luggin around two riffles to the calling spots seems to be somwhat not what i was going for, but i think a well placed shot like most things the .17 will take a yote i think. My main source of info comes from my girlfriends future brother-n-law dan jordan the head coach for the nanook riffle team. well i'm getting ready to go flyin here so maybe i'll find some critters, that past few outings have produced nothing, not even a call back. theres plenty of sign and food around but i'm not sure on the pressure down here in delta or those that are out there educating them.

mike

There used to be some good info for the 17 and coyotes on a site called coyote gods.