Thread: First bad set of Warne rings

Default First bad set of Warne rings

I recently paid Alaskan price ($98 for something that cost $80 everywhere else.) for a set of Aluminum extra high Warne Tactical rings for my flat top Stag 6.8. "Leupold matte 6x 42mm FX-III scope" And this $98 was after a 175 mile round trip on a snowy day.

They have 8 screws that hold the two piece of the ring together and a big bolt instead of a lever to lock the ring onto the rail..

Well, this is the first time I ever had a bum product from Warne.

While placing the rings on the rail, one of the rings snugged up just fine by using 65 inch pounds on the bolt as per the instructions.... HOWEVER, the other ring was not so co-operative. I kept turning and waiting until I notice that the threaded stud was pulling itself right out of the threaded hole. In fact it pulled the threads right out with very little pressure.

After much cussing I figured I had two choices.

1. Send them back to Warne and not go shooting. And hope they would believe that I never was able to get anywhere near 65 inch pounds while the threads pulled out like butter.

2. Try 5 ton epoxy on the threaded stud and hope that it would allow me to tighten the bolt enough.

I tried the 5 ton epoxy gig in hopes of making some range time the next day. And of course it still does not feel right. We Alaskans are so used to getting screwed on products and having to wait forever, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
    Anyway it will work for awhile but I am sure that a set of steel rings are in my future.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Sorry man, that is so frustrating and that is a bummer. I have only bought steel bases and rings from Warne and so far no complaints or problems. I hope you can find a way to rectify you problem soon.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Warne rings are known for issues and are junk, imo. Get some Talley's and not look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Warne rings are known for issues and are junk, imo. Get some Talley's and not look back.
    Hmmmm, I have several rifles from .450 Marlin to .338WM to .22 Hornet that wear Warnes and I've never had a problem with any of them. Some are QD's, some are fixed...and they've all held up. I also have a couple with Talley LW's and I like those, but the Warne's have not been a problem for me.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I juist tried to send them an e-mail, but guess what,,, they do not list a contact e-mail or a cutomer service dept....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I juist tried to send them an e-mail, but guess what,,, they do not list a contact e-mail or a cutomer service dept....
    You could always use the phone number that's shown on their website: 1-800-683-5590.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)